Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
25,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the tennis Australia site:

SYDNEY, Jan 13 AAP - Martina Hingis has devised a plan so simple it just might work.
Resigned to the fact her feeble second serve is fodder for heavy-hitting returners, Hingis will make a concerted effort to hit as few of them as possible during the Australian Open.

That means swallowing her pride and slowing down an already moderate first delivery to get rallies started on an even keel, as opposed to her being forced onto the back foot straight away. Hingis missed only six first serves while giving world No.13 American Meghan Shaughnessy a 6-2 6-3 lesson in yesterday's final of the adidas International.

"I think that's the key," said Hingis, who begins her Australian Open campaign against France's Virginie Razzano at 7.30pm tomorrow.
"If I hit everything I possibly have out of the serve, it's still not going to help me. I am not going to get too many free points on my serve. Mainly with me, it's not to be ashamed of having a serve of 130, 135 kilometres an hour or whatever, just put it in and just win. It is all it takes. Once I am in the rally I know I am better than most of the girls, so it is just a matter of not getting killed right away."

Hingis's first serve averaged 130km/h in Sydney but her second hovered around 100km/h, a speed any decent player could murder.
Australian Open favourite Venus Williams recorded the fastest serve on the women's tour last year - 201km/h at Wimbledon.

What do you think. Will it work vs. the big babes?

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
i'm worried

maybe she should start working on beefing up her second serve
then there will be no such problems

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Ditto, easy.

Martina NEEDS a better serve. I think she's just fooling herself that she can manage without it. She can stay at No 5 or whatever as she is, but there's no reason she couldn't develop a serve as punishing as Justine's can be.

Without those free points on serve, she just has to slog it out for too many points.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
It just might work Gosh darn it!;)

·
25,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure it will work or fail, but one thing we do know: Hingis CAN put in a high percentage on her serve. She used this stategy vs. Venus in the 2000 US Open semi, a match she should have won-and I think she had a really high first serve percentage in that match.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I don't think it will...Someone for example as great as Lindsay, Jennifer, and the Williams sisters will treat it like a second serve, and pounce on it, smack it, and Serena seems the only one that would go forehand crosscourt, while the other big babes would go down the line, either way, Martina would get over powered.
What Martina needs to do is develope a whole new serve, and not be lazy, she is just taking it the easy way out, and the bad way in long term. She needs to develope a serve like Justine.
I can just imagine Martina hitting her first serve like a second, and across the net Lindsay standing, and smack, down the line forehand winner. Or Venus Williams hitting it and then coming to the net to hit a swing volley, or Jenn and Serena hitting winners consistently off that serve, and Monica sending it for a ride.
She can hang easily with Kim, and the other players that don't have the superior power(Kim is still developing how to control it),
But sooner or later, two three years, everybody will be smacking the ball even hared than now, and Martina going to roll the second serves just in, AND the first. :rolleyes: For her own good she has to realize that her serve just don't cut it, obviously all other parts off her game are flawless. But the Big babes won't even give her a chance to hit a second shot after her serve, just look what they've been doing to her in the past. The last time she played the 'Big Babes', she lost to all of them, Venus Williams, Serena Williams, Jennifer Capriaty, Lindsay Davneport, and some people might consider Monica too.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Marti just needs to hit her first serves even with her second serves. I don't care if she double faults.

She's a good returner of serve and could break Venus' serve at any given time. All she has to do is execute a high percentage of first serve.:angel: :bounce: :kiss:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I don't think this will work for Hingis and it's not that I don't care for her.. I just don't think it will work.

#1. Hingis's first serves can be hit for winners.

#2. IMHO clay this will be deadly for her.

#3. A player will have off serving day and will doublefault. Then what is she gonna do?

#4. Martina's first serves can still put her on the defensive and hoping that she will win the point with her consistency is really taking a huge gamble. Note Kim did take a set off her in the semi. ( player Martina used to beat in straights)

Hingis needs to revamp her serve period. Why doesn't she wish too though? She is a stubborn girl.:) Although Hingis does has the altheticism behind tennis not "I" so naturally I may be proven wrong.:)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hingis told that Hingis playing stype is not about power , her playing stype is about shots -making skill . And i think she seem does not put any big strategy serving on her game , that's why she plays very well in double . And i think that playing stype should be very respective to her opponents on the court !

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Adison what does her playing style have to do with her putting more pace behind her serve? Imho is will be to her advantage.:)

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
big servers like Mark Philopousis, Greg Rusedski, Goran Ivanisivec, etc. could have dominated already the ATP tour if service game is the most important weapon of all.;)

Marti is not stubborn, she just knows her LIMITS and it is a fact that she can't hit a big serve like that of the big babes. IMO, her first serve is good enough to topple her opponents.:kiss:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Well if her LIMITS are unable to add more pace behind her serve then something in her arms are not right? Jomar if Daniela Hatchekova can get a faster service game then so can Hingis. She is stubborn that is a fact. lol All you got to do is look at her serves to see that.:);)

Anyhow I just feel like debating with someone tonight. Go WTA tennis and yes even *cough* *cough* Martina Hingis.:)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Norma said whatever i should wann say to you ! But these are only our ideas . We all have no way to change her playing stype ! Let her play with her own stype ! ..........

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Who's Norma? And I can express my opinions if I so choose and #3 .. EXACTLY how am I getting in Hingis's way of playing her style? You make it seem that I am stopping her from playing her own way. "LET" her play with her own type is like your implying that I control her destiny or something? I have Ideas too so bugger off. cool:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
even Kim had a hard time returning Marti's first serve during their match. Marti just needs to hit a high percentage of first serves and she'd definetely beat them all.hehehehe:kiss: :bounce: :angel:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Drawn Marie , Iam so sorry to you coz by speeches were hurt you . But if you could hear my voices when i talking those comments , you definitely should not react like that . But anyways , i am very sorry about that !

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I agree with what nearly everyone has said here. Martina should actually take more risks with her second serve, and try to get as many free points from her first serve as possible. That's what Chris had to do when Martina N beat her 13 times in a row.

By going down this path, Martyina's first serve is more attackable. She should be trying to be more agressive, not defensive. Lokk at what happened to Sabatini. I really believed that Sabatini could have won so many more grandslams if only she had improved her serve rather than cream puff it in....

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Wait, you are telling me that Hinigsdid not improve her first serve speed during the off season but only improved the percentage??! :eek: :confused:

Well, i think it is not such a great move. Having a better first serve and a much better 2nd serve is much more important than having a weak first serve with a high percentage.

But she is winning again, so maybe it works for her.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts