Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: :eek: Black upsets Conchita Martinez

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

MADRID, Spain -- Third-seeded Conchita Martinez lost to Cara Black 6-2, 6-3 Tuesday in the first round of the Spanish Open.

In another upset, eighth-seeded Virginia Ruano lost to Klara Koukalova 6-2, 4-6, 6-1.

Sixth-seeded Magui Serna beat Austria's Patricia Wartusch 6-2, 6-2, while Conchita Martinez Granados beat countrywoman Marta Marrero 6-7 (5), 7-6 (3), 6-4 in a tough match that lasted nearly 3½ hours.

Top seeds Chanda Rubin and Alexandra Stevenson make their debut Wednesday.

Did anyone see this match by chance?? How did it all unfold??? Blacks not bad but they way Conchita's been playing lately, its still a little shocking to me...

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Cara is capable of pulling upsets. She just needs to put her mind to it and she could be back in the top 30.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I've been told that Conchi played badly and was frustated since the beginning of the match.....

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
Cara has always given lots of troubles to COnchi I think she beat her in RG as well so...............
Conchi will have more time to rest before RG

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
pffff, Conchi wtf is wrong with u

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
OMG.. Alexandra Stevenson is one of the top 2 seeds. I better look through the windows to see if the Pigs are flying...

Reactions: darren cahill

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
propi said:
Cara has always given lots of troubles to COnchi I think she beat her in RG as well so...............
Conchi will have more time to rest before RG
:worship: i think conchi took a wildcard simply as a favour to arantxa after lindsay pulled out. true, cara had conchita in the 3rd round of RG in 2002 in three sets, but it was about time: conchita had beaten cara in 1999 3R of RG, and 2000 3R of RG, both times in three sets. :eek:

conchita needs rest after her exploits in Rome :hearts:

Reactions: Helen Lawson

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
venusfan said:
OMG.. Alexandra Stevenson is one of the top 2 seeds. I better look through the windows to see if the Pigs are flying...
ROTFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL....

does she have a bye? my moneys on the bye to win the first round! ;)

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Well Cara has always had a sting in her tail especially on clay.

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
baleineau said:
:worship: i think conchi took a wildcard simply as a favour to arantxa after lindsay pulled out. true, cara had conchita in the 3rd round of RG in 2002 in three sets, but it was about time: conchita had beaten cara in 1999 3R of RG, and 2000 3R of RG, both times in three sets. :eek:

conchita needs rest after her exploits in Rome :hearts:
Yep I think as you wise man;)
If Conchi has gone to Madrid it's been as personal favour to ASV.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Its not too suprising, before seeing the results I would have said it would be a close match. Consider the fact that Cara has played Conchita tough on clay before, and Cara must still be on a high from performing so well in Rome. She reached the 3rd round from qualies.

·
Registered
991 Posts
This match is probably one of the few times where I don't mind that Conchi loses! :p

Traditionally, she never plays the week before the French, and although it is disappointing that she lost in fromt of home support, i still expect Conchi to do some damage at the French. :)

·
Registered
32,932 Posts
Cara :)

Vivi :(
Marta :eek: :(

Conchi...she's just taking it nice and easy :cool: esp b4 Roland Garros ;)

·
Registered
9,981 Posts
venusfan said:
Yes, the Pigs are flying:)
By the way, what's wrong with your reputation points? :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts