Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

There was a thread floating around GM about best shots, and we all know that it would be one of Martina's, but just referring to specific matches what shots do you guys remember the most.

Mine would have to be:

*1999 Sydney Internationa Vs Schett, she was down 5-4 in the tiebreak in the final deciding set and Schett pulled her wide on the backhand and Marti ripped it down the line... awesome! :D

*1997 Australian Open Vs Pierce, this is my first real memory of Martina's backhand down the line, they were having this nice rally and Martina just turned her shoulders and punched it down the line on the line, completely unexpected and completely gifted.

*1999 US Open Vs Williams, i don't think many will forget the shot that gave her match point. One handed backhand scramble shot for a winner down the line.

*1999 Australian Open Vs Mauresmo, down 0-40 at 4-3 in the second and Martina just pulled a drop shot out of nowhere, she was on the baseline and Mauresmo had no chance.

*1998 Australian Open Vs Kournikova, i mention this match because it was in this match that i saw Martina play her best game, it was early in the first on Anna's serve, she came in on the first 3 points and Martina passed her on the backhand with a down the line, then a forehand down the line, and then a running topspin backhand lob, i was in awe.

I've also heard Pam Shriver mention that Martina use to play a left handed forehand when she was streched on the backhand side and return it for a winner, unfortunately i've never seen her do this :sad:

What about you guys?

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
those are really great memories Hingie. The last one was when she beat Davenport. Davenport stated after that match that although their head-to-head is close, Marti is uncomparable at that time.

well for me, the best that I've seen from Marti was when she pushed Jennifer around the court at the recent 2002 Oz Open. She made use of the whole court until she finally gets into the net and suddenly ripped an unbelievalbe cross-court forehand. I love the new Marti now.:angel: :bounce: :kiss:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hingis was the best player in Aus 2002 's SM and Finallist match , Everyone knew that Hingis is really more talent than Jennifer from that final match for sure . My brother ( a pro tennis player in Cali) praised Hingis a lot , that's why I installed her into my heart . I always thought that Hingis lost her Final match because she was not have enough confidances ....To me , HINGIS ALWAYS HAS HER BEST SHOTS AT EVERY MATCH .....

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
I've also heard Pam Shriver mention that Martina use to play a left handed forehand when she was streched on the backhand side and return it for a winner, unfortunately i've never seen her do this
is she sure
that sounds more like kimiko date to me

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
that's a sure thing easy. that's a match against Lindsay.:angel: :bounce: :kiss:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I really love Hingis. And the best shot I saw her was in Wimbledon 2000.
She was playing against Venus Williams and she made a winner with a one-hand backhand.
It was really amazing. I couldn't believe it!!!There's no doubt. She is a talent.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
wow Adison, you've got a pro brother? I hope he'd be successful like Marti.;):angel:

Even the former great players believed in Marti's talent. She's undeniably one of the great players in tennis kingdom.:angel: :bounce: :kiss:

·
Registered
623 Posts
..My brother is a real pro tennis player in California ( United States) , he is now a coach ! And he experienced the quality draw at US 1998 (but unfortunately He lost in the second round of quality draw, he was yet to step onto the main draw ) ..watching he plays on the court , i did not think that why he could not step onto the main round in Us 1998 ?...he plays great tennis . Perhaps , he is so short . And it is now 2002 , he already lost opportunity to be back in a pro tennis tournament , he is 28 now . .........:sad: :sad:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
well, at least he's got the chance to be a pro player, this alone is already is impressive to me.:angel: I should be proud to have a brother like him.:kiss:

·
Registered
165 Posts
left hand?

did martina acctually use her left hand to hit a forehand before?
amazing stuff...:bounce:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I remember those matches, but I never got to tape them!:fiery:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yes, Iam very proud to get a brother like him ..He actually is a pro player ..I seem could not play with his serves !....there was a time i beat hime because he was very sick ....he could not move well on the court ...just one time . But i am younger than he is soooo far ! I will have a game with him today on the clay court near our home ...i wish .....! but he should never have defeated me in easy game .at least ...6-4 o 7-5 !

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
1,123 Posts
*1999 US Open Vs Williams, i don't think many will forget the shot that gave her match point. One handed backhand scramble shot for a winner down the line.
- - - - that was the best for me too.:) and beating venus!;) that was really great to watch. she's an extraordinary person.:cool:

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
what kind of one-handed backhand was it?

flat?
topspin?
slice?

how did she hit it?

*i've heard too much about this particular backhand :D*

·
Registered
32,932 Posts
definitely her backhand down the line shot...:bounce:

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I love Martina's down the line, or her sneaky drop shot,

but know I also wish, that I was more tennis educated,

flat?
topspin?
slice?

I wouldn't be able to tell the difference,lol

but i still love all of Marti's great shots, just wish i could appreciate them more, especially the ones that arn't out right winners.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
YES!!!!! HINGIS CAN HIT A LEFT HAND PASSING FOREHAND SHOT:)!

It was in 1997 pam Shriver was commentating on the a martina vs. ai sugiyama match. it was either in Key Biscane or a Fed Cup match on ESPN, but i saw it with my own eyes it was fantastic she hit that passing shot:eek: :bounce:

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
MArtina's best shots are gotta be the matches against Venus Williams. That 1999 US Open one handed back hand ditch shot absolutely displayed Martina's fighting power to GET IT IT;)!

Then there was the one in Wimbledon 2000 when Martina was down in the 3rd set to Vee that she knew she had to go for it and nails a one handed backhand down the lain. Navratilova who was commentating was in awe:rolleyes:

There was also the ones during the 2000 clay clourt seasons in Hamburg vs. SV. Arantxa pulls Martina waaayyy off the back hand side and Martina just took a huge step and nails the corner. She herself was surprised.

The one in Roland Gaross with Chanda Rubin also. She was pulled wayyy wide to the back hand but hit a slice backhand that pushed somehow in and touches the line.

martina will definitley be remembered for her shot making skills at crucial moments when her career is over:angel:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts