Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was flipping through a tennis magazine and Martina Hingis is still featured in endorsements, (even though she is not an active player). Could not find any with Martina N, (even though crowds now flock to her matches - and her mixed doubles was more popular than the men's single final).

Is the fact that Martina N is openly gay the reason why she does not have more "tennis related" endorsements?

Do you think that will change now that fans are really embracing her?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,693 Posts
I don't really see how the comparison with Hingis is relevant. :confused:

She was a top ten player until quite recently, and still has commitments she signed before she retired, that's why she still appears in ads and stuff.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Relavancy: #1. They share the same name. #2 the Irony that Martina N. came out of retirment to play again and does not have tennis endorsements. #3. Martina H. retired and still has tennis endorsements. #4. They have both been good for the tour.

Hope that clears it up :)

·
Banned
3,628 Posts
Ryan16 said:
Martina being gay sadly has a huge impact on her endorsements(lack of). She's done afew, but nothing recent and even though she deserves it, probably wont.
What a bunch of bull. Martina N. will tell you herself there is no discrimination in tennis. She doesn't get endorsements b/c of the age demographic she belongs in. She is old; most companies try to attract young people (tee-agers through mid-twenties) through advertisements; most young people don't really want to follow what a geezer wears and endorses => Martina N. is not a good advertisment vehicle.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
eta psi said:
What a bunch of bull. Martina N. will tell you herself there is no discrimination in tennis. She doesn't get endorsements b/c of the age demographic she belongs in. She is old; most companies try to attract young people (tee-agers through mid-twenties) through advertisements; most young people don't really want to follow what a geezer wears and endorses => Martina N. is not a good advertisment vehicle.
she doesn't have to be advertising clothes you know. There are many things that tennis players endorse which have nothing to do with their tennis. She could endorse watches, cameras, paint or whatever. In fact she'd make the perfect vehicle for advertising retirement plans or life insurance. Her experiences and public image could also make her a spokesperson for a whole whack of companies from pepsi to volvo.

·
Banned
3,628 Posts
caelestia said:
she doesn't have to be advertising clothes you know. There are many things that tennis players endorse which have nothing to do with their tennis. She could endorse watches, cameras, paint or whatever. In fact she'd make the perfect vehicle for advertising retirement plans or life insurance. Her experiences and public image could also make her a spokesperson for a whole whack of companies from pepsi to volvo.
True, but if that's the case, then the problem could be the way she markets herself. May be she doesn't like "whoring" herself to gain some quick buck. Or, may be she doesn't have a good business sense. I don't know, but you can't say it's b/c she is gay, b/c she did say recently that there is no discrimination in tennis.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
eta psi said:
True, but if that's the case, then the problem could be the way she markets herself. May be she doesn't like "whoring" herself to gain some quick buck. Or, may be she doesn't have a good business sense. I don't know, but you can't say it's b/c she is gay, b/c she did say recently that there is no discrimination in tennis.
I agree, I don't think it has much do with her sexual orientation. I don't think she wants to do the whole endorsement thing. Does she even have one supplier for all her clothes? She's probably not interested in the whole thing.

·
Registered
25,217 Posts
Martina spoke long and loud in the 80's and 90's about how being openly gay cost her millions in endorsements. Even at her peak, I believe her only major endorsements were rackets and sunglasses. But she's spoken at it quite openly and has for decades. And in the 80's, the endorsers themselves were quite upfront about that being the problem. It wasn't all bigotry. Some of it was capitalism. If I seel refridgerators and I believe my clientel is homophobic, I'm not likely to hire an out lesbian as a spokesperson.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Actually, Martina N. talked about this a great deal, and not in happy terms. I believe she did indeed say there's no discrimination in tennis, but she talked quite differently about the corporate world that decides who gets endorsements. This how she's quoted in "Venus Envy":

"My agent used to say that when he brought up my name, people went silent... Everyone would clap for Chris, and when they would announce me, the crowd would hold back. I knew damn well the reason and it hurt. If I had been quiet about [being gay], I would have had ads. That's just fact."

After Martina N. made her return, she did sign two non-tenns-related endrosements with Subaru and Lucy.com, which were amazingly the FIRST two of her career. It's hard to believe, as she was SO dominant for so long and achieved so many great wins... Personally, I think players in general do care a lot about endorsements, enough to inspire jealousies and resentments. Zina Garrison talked about her struggles for endorsements in her autobiography as well...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Martina N. will tell you herself there is no discrimination in tennis.
Yes, but we're talking about Madison Avenue not the WTA tour.

How can anyone say she wasn't discriminated against? In 1988, she was the #2 player in the world and her clothing sponsors chose not to renew the contract. She could not get another one and had to start her own line.

When she returned, it was the same story. Here's her quote from Rome.

When I first decided to play three years ago, one company, a very well-known company, said they would give me clothes but I had to pay wholesale. They'd give me a deal wholesale instead of retail. I said, "Thank you so much."
All she has now is Prince rackets & Subaru - and even they are not featuring her in print ads anymore. Contrast that to Chris, who has been retired for the last 14 years and has had recent endorsement deals with Nike, Rolex, Invesco, Roman Meal, Wilson etc. etc.

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Well this is the main reason why I no longer care for her personality anymore. Sure I will go to see her play the tennis game, but she no longer has my respect as a great role model when it comes to really speaking the real deal.

Martina is and was so quick to speak the truth about how her homosexuality was the main cause of her not getting endorsements. She also states that this is why the crowd was mean to her and yet loved Chrissy. Yet she says one of the most dumbest quotes when she states [email protected] are not discriminated against because of race. She claims tennis has no racism, yet clearly thinks it's sexist.

Personally I have no respect for her after she made those statements. You can't speak out against sexism and homophobia then turn right around and state tennis has no racism. It makes one look just like all those people who are sexist and homophobic. ABSOLUTLEY CLUELESS.

P.S. you better believe she was not handed endorsements due to her sexuality. She could have made so much more money, millions and millions of dollars. She should be making commerials as we speak and write.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Being gay was the initial reason why Martina Navratilova lost all her endorsement deals, but she only needs to look as far as Amelie Mauresmo to realize that it is no longer her homosexuality that is causing her not to attract endorsement deals. The fact is, she's old, and only plays doubles, which does not get the attention it deserves. Martina must be happy that she's got any endorsement deals at all (Prince and Subaru).

However, I do see the discrepancy with Chris Everts' multitude of endorsements compared to Martinas' few. Truth is, Chris is prettier, more marketable, and will always be a popular public figure as a result of her playing days. 14 years after they retire, you can bet that Gabriela Sabatini and Anna Kournikova will still be raking it in through commercials and endorsement deals too.

·
Registered
21,356 Posts
it's a shame that people can/could not look further then a little minium detail that nav was a lesbian who was not model like pretty (gigi fernandez got sponsors and model work and she was an open lesbian too)

and now when you want to have good sponsors your dress needs to smaller and smaller on court (see hantu) and off court (see serena)
so maybe being different is not such a deal anymore but having a model face (or body) even more :eek:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Somehow, some people seem to think getting endorsement deals is some right that comes with winning tennis matches. It isn't.

Commercial sponsors obviously select "spokespeople: who they think will sell the product. And that usually means people who appeal to the demographic they are trying to reach.

Most commercial sponsors would make deals with the devil if they thought it would "move the product."

Those who think Navratilova is hampered more by her age than by her sexual preferences are probably right on the money. Forty-six year old women, gay or straight, don't get the attention of consumers the way the young and the nubile do.

I'm not praising that. I think it stinks. But that's the way the world operates.

Fans of Lindsay Davenport often complained she didn't get her share of endorsements either, while Anna Kournikova became very rich.

Davy is straight, so that can't be the issue. Its exposure, appeal and presentation that seem to make the difference.

Also, one last thing that works against Martina N. Ask yourself this. How many commercials have you seen Monica Seles in? How many commercials in America did you see Graf in?

In truth, non-Americans have a hard time lining up commercial work in America. Anyone with even a trace of an accent also finds problems, if it is a speaking role in a TV spot.

Hingis has made a fortune doing commercials. They include work for Bolle, Omega, Sanex, Clairol, Ocean Spray, Opel, American Express, Merril Lynch, etc, as well as for the obvious tennis related ones, including Yonex and Adidas. But how many of those ads have you seen in America? Most of her commercials and ads run in Europe and Asia, not in America.

·
Registered
21,356 Posts
steffi really got enough deals in her life. there was never any complain there;)

even miss huber had probably more deals then grand slam winners as conchita and novotna, maybe even asv

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.