·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8pm EST
Friday
Feb 1st, 2002
ESPN Classic

Billed as "tennis' new instant classic".

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
186,263 Posts
Well, I don't know about "Classic". I mean, in the sense of "Quality", it was far from the best either player had to offer, they have both played far better. The conditions where, however very bad out there, far too hot, and that explains the level of play. But the comeback by Jennifer was remarkable. Botha players gave all they had, and Jennifer played with more heart!:hearts:

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
:sad:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah, I can see how this is a classic. No, not the best tennis, but all kinds of drama that's for sure. And you've got to consider a comeback after 4-6, 0-4 a phenomenal thing no matter the level of play. It was extraordinary. A match like this with so many things going on (heat, nerves, emotion, players on the brink of fainting, etc. etc.). I don't think we'll see a final quite like this maybe ever.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The ESPN website says:

Women's 2002 Final
ESPN CLASSIC, Friday, Feb 1, 9:00 pm EST.

Girl, either way, I need to get some video tapes. :D

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
186,263 Posts
Yeah, there was plenty of drama, that's for sure! Mometum swings from hell! Is was awesome!

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
martina always seem to feature on the wrong side of classics :(

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
well, it WAS a classic, but that's cos I watched it live and din't know how it would unfold. It's not that great to watch if you know that every time Hingis gets championship point she'll lose the next rally. It wasn't bad tennis at all though. And the third set was like a car crash - morbidly fascinating. I think someone (sk?) said that in some other thread somewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts