Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
No, more like Australia has actually taken COVID seriously, unlike the US, where people still think it's a hoax, still think it's the flu, think it's OK that a certain percentage of people die from it, think they know more than doctors, and think wearing masks are an attack on personal freedoms.

Tiley knew the COVID exemption requirements, and overlooked them to try to get his most successful champion into the country. And it's blown up in his face.
I agree re Tiley and i put some of the blame on him, as well as Djok.
He had to have known the feds wouldn't have approved of the "exemption." What did they think woyuld happen? Create enough confusion and somehow Djok would slip through?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I think this saga is way simpler than many are making it out to be.
AO made a great rule for playing tennis in a pandemic, a rule that all tournaments should have made, but they didn't have to guts to do it.
Because the #1 wasn't vac'd!!! And several other top players, Med, Rublev, Tsitsi --all got vac'd pretty recently, probably due to to the AO requirements.
But Tiley still wanted to slip Djok in. LOL
Very simple rule, be vac'd or don't play.
Djok tried to game it, at least the gov't is standing up to him, but people who are libertarian nuts or anti-vaxxers or diehard djok fans seem to think a great injustice has been done.
Ludicrous.
It's rare that justice is actually carried out where the rich and very powerful are concerned. I would have preferred they got Trump, but I'll settle for No vac Jo Covid.

·
Registered
675 Posts
AO made a great rule for playing tennis in a pandemic, a rule that all tournaments should have made, but they didn't have to guts to do it.
Because the #1 wasn't vac'd!!! And several other top players, Med, Rublev, Tsitsi --all got vac'd pretty recently, probably due to to the AO requirements.
Djok tried to game it, at least the gov't is standing up to him, but people who are libertarian nuts or anti-vaxxers or diehard djok fans seem to think a great injustice has been done.
Ludicrous.
It's rare that justice is actually carried out where the rich and very powerful are concerned. I would have preferred they got Trump, but I'll settle for No vac Jo Covid.
Agree, but let's wait until his appeal is exhausted. He may still wriggle out of this.

·
Registered
16,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Ludicrous.
Listened to Patrick McEnroe on ESPN and he said to the interviewer live on national television that Djokovic tried to game the system and that sentiment from the tennis community had changed and is against Djokovic after his meetings and travels to Spain.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've never heard this term 'game it' before, some American thing? but what I do know is Patrick Mcenroe is just dining out on his brothers' name and would probably be serving fries and flipping burgers somewhere without it.

·
Registered
24,451 Posts
I don't actually believe he was ever positive, it's too convenient of a loophole to get into the Australian Open as that was his "golden medical exemption ticket" but he didn't think it all the way through and the dates got muddled so that was the only hand he could play otherwise it was a definite visa cancellation.
I'm surprised we aren't discussing this more.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've never heard this term 'game it' before, some American thing? but what I do know is John Mcenroe is just dining out on his brothers' name and would probably be serving fries and flipping burgers somewhere without it.
I never knew Patrick McEnroe was such a star... :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'm surprised we aren't discussing this more.
I think he lied about the Covid test too.
It doesn't seem to be part of the Aussie's case against him anymore, very difficult to prove, but that's an offense that can send you to jail. He did that in serbia and it's unlikely anyone's sending him to jail there.
He has pooped all over the carpet in a number of countries. lol

Character is destiny.

as heraclitus once wrote.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Disagree. The Australian Open has thrived and grown under Craig Tiley's leadership for many years. What has brought Australia into disrepute is your government and, sorry to say, the fickle and overly-judgemental nature of much of the Australian general public themselves, who elected and continue to support a government of COVID control freaks.
Granted, the AO has grown under Tiley, but it also grew under McNamee too.
Responsibility lies with Tiley on this one. Would love our government to launch a full investigation into Tiley’s correspondence and find out exactly who authorised the letter sent to players telling them there was a possibility for an exemption. The buck stops with that individual & my guess is that it’s Tiley.

·
Art & Futures
24,023 Posts
Navratilova is making an ass of herself.

These kind of ad hominem attacks agaist Novak will only result in his own supporters - and he has many in the tennis community - becoming more vocal.
how is it ad hominem lolllll

Reactions: didymus
121 - 140 of 140 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.