Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first saw Martina play on tv in the 97 US Open final. She was so young and so good and just fearless. And I loved how she smiled all the time.:) :) :)

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
AO semifinal when she beat Venus!!!:D

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Way back to her first tournament in 94, she was slated to play Martina Navratilova in the Quarters....loved her from day 1.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Since 1995!:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I first became a fan in 1997. I watched the Slams, but didn't really keep up with tennis otherwise. I then heard of this teenage tennis phenom who was wiping the floor with her opponents. I watched Wimbledon and I was hooked!!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I saw her playing in the adidas 2001. I was HOOKED.
I didn't even LIKE women's tennis before that. In fact, I hated it.
Sheesh, what the hell was I thinking?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Chase Final 1996....boy was that a great match :). Marti was so exhausted :(

Love ya always Marti....:kiss: :hearts:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
30,466 Posts
2000 Adidas Inteenational. I was a fan from the first time saw her play. She made it all looked so easy, and i loved that she would always smile, even when she lost the point!

·
4,493 Posts
1999 Final roland garros.

First tennismacht i saw entirely live.Martina was crying and so was i:sad: I'm a big fan since that!:kiss:

·
Registered
29 Posts
When

Wimbledon 97. I was down the pub getting drunk and suddenly a vision of beauty appeared onthe tiny tv screen in the corner. Love at first sight.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
First time I ever heard of that tennis phenomen was when she was about 10 yrs old. There was a story about here on TV during the sunday sports-report. Since then I've been following kind of her results. But I really got caught when I saw her play for the very first time some years later. (Can't really remember when exactly that was but must've been around 95/96).

Just loved how different her game was compared to all the others.

Hmm just to bad she kind of lost her unike style in the last two years. But there are good sings of it that she goes back to the Martina way of playing tennis.

·
Banned
692 Posts
I fell in love with her at the Aussie Open 1997. My first real match live. God it was great to watch her then

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
i saw her play in 97 FO and decided to make her one of my faves

then i got annoyed that she beat jana at wimby, but i forgave her when jana won it the next year ;)
so she became my favourite when jana retired/she lost to steffi at FO 99

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I regret to say Im only since AO '01.
I never cared about tennis, but I just watched one time her game and from that moment I am addicted to Marti!;)

·
Registered
19,008 Posts
Aww... *remembering back to those days* lol! It was in OZ 1999. :hearts: And after the victory in both singles and doubles, I knew that Martina was my hero! :bounce: :kiss:

·
Team WTAworld, The Martian Llama
20,264 Posts
Had to be Wimbledon 97, I'd heard a lot about her before then, I also remember watching her winning the doubles with Sukova before then at Wimby, but as soon as I saw her first match at Wimbledon, I think she beat Kremer 1st round, from that moment I was hooked, and I was a fan, and a fan forever!!! :D

·
49,763 Posts
The first match i saw Martina play in was the '99 Canadian Open Final .v.Seles! Ive been a fan of hers since i started bein a tennis fan!

·
The Smiling Assassin, Administrator
4,790 Posts
97 US Open final! there's something about that smile! :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was just getting into playing tennis myself, 2 or 3 years ago, back when Martina and Lindsay won everything. I don't remember the tournament exactly (although I'm certain it wasn't AO 2000), but it was the finals and Lindsay won the match. I felt so bad for Martina that I started cheering for her since then.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
The first time I heard of Martina Hingis (and saw a pic of her) was in 1994. It was in a tennis magazine and an article on the upcoming players (so there was bits on the Williams and Kournikova too). Anyway I knew she was the French Open girls champ at 12 and I was really impressed. But I was lukewarm cause she was so young and I don't even know how she played like.

Anyway it was in the 1995 Australian Open 2nd round that I saw her playing for the first time. I remember that match, she was playing against the Japanese girl Nagatsuka, and of course there was already a lot of hype surrounding her. I don't like much-hyped youngsters ala Capriati (in the early 90's). But I did like Martina's playing style, which is what has attracted me to been her fan to this day. She lost that match, but I guess I was still a little lukewarm.

I'd say that I became a HUGE fan of her in Roland Garros 99 cause during the tournament I knew that this was hers. I really wanted it to be hers. She had the game for it and I saw her against Amelie Mauresmo in round 2 and that's probably the time when I became a huge fan of her like I am still now ;) Anyway we all know what happened, but that final just made me like her even more. She was robbed, she didn't do anything wrong.

I've been supporting her 100% since...

Although, I was very angry at her during the recent AO final. I have said before on the board why, and I don't want to revisit it again. But I will never lose hope in her. So here's looking forward to Roland Garros 02'.

And so that's been my Martina moments so far... :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts