Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hingis played her first pro tournament at the age of 13 and took the tennis world by storm when reaching the last eight of the Australian Open as a 15-year-old.

She then won in Melbourne a year later in 1997 and went on to spent a total of 209 weeks as world No1.

She had an operation on her right ankle in October 2001 and on her left ankle in May 2002, insisting these problems were caused by the Sergio Tacchini shoes she wore as a teenager.

Having decided to sue, the case is still going through the courts.

Hingis, who has won £12.5million in career winnings - third behind Steffi Graf and Martina Navratilova - insisted the reason for her visit to Roland Garros is to catch up with old friends while seeing whether Serena Williams can finally be toppled.

World No1 Williams, hardly surprisingly, crushed German Barbara Rittner yesterday, although Hingis insisted there is hope for the rest.

She said: "I have come to Paris to see everybody again.

"I have been attacked at both sides from players coming up and saying hello. I am here to find out how the game is progressing.

"I am very interested in that. At the moment, it will be difficult to beat either of the Williams sisters.

"However, it was interesting to watch the last few tournaments on clay, seeing Kim Clijsters and Amelie Mauresmo beat Serena in a final. It is good to see competition.

"It is important for the women's game. But, it is great to see somebody at the top like Serena. She almost plays the perfect game.

"Players coming through have to be physically 100 per cent as it has become tougher over the years.

"Plus, they need the perfect technique. The Williams sisters are not just strong and athletic.

"Technically, they rarely make a mistake.

"However, when you are the world No1 you have the players' respect. You already have a certain edge over them before you walk out on court."

That was certainly the case yesterday as Rittner crumbled 6-2 6-1 in front of the awesome Williams.

Williams, winner of the last four Grand Slams, was then asked what she would do between her first and second round matches.

She said: "I'm going to go and buy some shampoo and conditioner."

So her 53-minute romp was serve- and-go, followed by wash-and-go.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
that's why i love 'em both! ;)

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
:D :hearts:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Sometimes I miss Martina. Get your ass back to the court! :p
Due to such a good comment from her, I'll be using her avatar during the off season. :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm just glad Martina is very interested in the tournaments and what's going on WTA. She didn't leave totally.

Hopefully, we can see her on court in the future.

I miss you, Martina~~
:kiss:

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
I really want that girl to go into commentary. She's awfully clever when it comes to tennis matters.

I agree that even in the old teenage tiff days, Martina and Serena had a sneaking like for each other.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Martina has turned into a great person!!!! She really sounds very happy with her life now. No trace of insecurity.:angel:

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I hope they invite her to the commentary booth.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
:hearts: martina :hearts:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
"She had an operation on her right ankle in October 2001 and on her left ankle in May 2002, insisting these problems were caused by the Sergio Tacchini shoes she wore as a teenager."

This is the kind of shoddy journalism that so is common among tennis reporters. Martina never at any time insisted that her ankle surgeries were necessitated by her wearing Sergio Tacchini tennis shoes. Martina suffers from Plantar fascias, a problem with chonrically inflammed tendons on the bottom of her heels. They cause her pain when she plays. That's the problem connected to the tennis shoes.

How could tennis shoes cause her ankle problems? She tore three legiments in her right ankle in that match against Davenport, and injured three in her left ankle the following year.

Even without specific information, the moron who wrote this story could have figured out you don't tear ligaments because of tennis shoes.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
It is a fact that Martina (and most of the rest of the women on the tour) has/have a better relationship with Serena than they do with Venus and that is because Serena is friendlier and more outgoing.

I also think the reason why Martina is taking English courses is because she will be a commentator in the future. I wouldn't mind seeing her on US television.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts