Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Martina Hingis
is back with the best in women's tennis.
I thought she would make it into the 10-20.
But she is back in the top 6,7,8
the power players are giving her no special trouble.
She lost to to Amelie Moresmo, Justin Hennin, Elena Dementieva all players with versatility and movement.
She is one and one with the best power player Maria sharapova.
This is great and beyond reasonable expectations.
A great player coming back proving her greatness and not making excuses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,980 Posts
Yes, she now has victories over two of the top five player, and took a third top fiver to 4-6 in the third set. In fact, it is ironic that the two she has not done well against are the weakest hitters of the top five.

At any rate, there seems no question now that Hingis can hang with the power players, provding they don't have a day like Elena had in Tokyo, when she could have given Roger a hard time.

As I said a while back, Hingis is now the favorite to beat anyone outside the top ten. But now, I would say she is even money against anyone inside the top ten.

She's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,916 Posts
i give her a lot of credit. she will be back in the top 10, but i can't see her in the top 5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,537 Posts
:bigclap:
Martina is awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Zauber said:
. Martina Hingis is back in the top echelon of women's tennis
i think you didn t have to wait today to make that conclusion :)

for me,she already proved in the AO that she was at least top 10 level (she made the 1/4 and more importantly , pushed Kim very close, which for me was hugely significant )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
Chris2k5 said:
.....

Wow, this shows how narrow your head is and how stupid your brain is...She can't still beat some of the smaller players...That makes her a gay player...

Shes not in the top 10, probably not until after USOPEN BIATCH.

And yes, they do give her trouble. Open your gay fucking face and know that!

Oh and Maria SHarapova isn't the best power player. Stupid idiot.
Wow, I thought you said you were a fan but after reading this, seems like your just a tool.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,444 Posts
Zauber said:
Martina Hingis
is back with the best in women's tennis.
I thought she would make it into the 10-20.
But she is back in the top 6,7,8
the power players are giving her no special trouble.
She lost to to Amelie Moresmo, Justin Hennin, Elena Dementieva all players with versatility and movement.
She is one and one with the best power player Maria sharapova.
This is great and beyond reasonable expectations.
A great player coming back proving her greatness and not making excuses.
Dontcha have to win a tennis tournament, or at least make it to the finals of one to be considered "top echilon?"" :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,611 Posts
Maetina did an outstanding job. It took a lot of courage for Martina to decide to come back to tennis. A lot of people weren't sure how Hingis would play when she played Gold Coast in Australia. Yet at the Australian Open Hingis shocked me and a lot of people with her incredible play almost beating Clijsters. At Tokyo she knocked off Sharapova. In the middle east Hingis beat Myskina and Kuznetsova. Now however, Hingis beat on the of the real top contenders in Lindsay Davenport. It looks like Lindsay is just about finished now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
Morrissey said:
Maetina did an outstanding job. It took a lot of courage for Martina to decide to come back to tennis. A lot of people weren't sure how Hingis would play when she played Gold Coast in Australia. Yet at the Australian Open Hingis shocked me and a lot of people with her incredible play almost beating Clijsters. At Tokyo she knocked off Sharapova. In the middle east Hingis beat Myskina and Kuznetsova. Now however, Hingis beat on the of the real top contenders in Lindsay Davenport. It looks like Lindsay is just about finished now.
I don't think Lindsay is finished but I do agree that Martina's comeback has been absolutely amazing. She has guts and certainly exceeded all of my expectations.

No way I thought she'd beat Lindsay today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,374 Posts
Morrissey said:
Maetina did an outstanding job. It took a lot of courage for Martina to decide to come back to tennis. A lot of people weren't sure how Hingis would play when she played Gold Coast in Australia. Yet at the Australian Open Hingis shocked me and a lot of people with her incredible play almost beating Clijsters. At Tokyo she knocked off Sharapova. In the middle east Hingis beat Myskina and Kuznetsova. Now however, Hingis beat on the of the real top contenders in Lindsay Davenport. It looks like Lindsay is just about finished now.
It was a good result for Martina that's for sure but you can't write Lindsay off for one loss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,096 Posts
She hasn't played Nadia or Patty yet but she's clearly into the top 10 (beating 11 and 12 tells us something) and she's competitive and can beat two of the top 5 already.

Even better, the players who have beaten her are all historically likely to have off days through inconsistency, nerves or injury and with the right draws she might find very few of them in her way until big finals.The top echelon is looking a bit thin, the top echelon in exile is still not coming back and she is getting better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,980 Posts
Nobody is saying Lindsay is finished. Actually, at times in this match she looked as good as ever. Lindsay has nothing to prove and everything to lose, Martina had everything to prove and nothing to lose.

It worked out this time for Martina. But the naysayers, those who said she couldn't handle the power game, and quit because of it, have graphic evidence they were wrong. She has now beaten a member of the old power guard as well as the new power guard.


Yes, generally it is hard for non-power players today to beat power players. As a rule, they can't do it.

But this is Martina we are talking about, and the rules don't apply to her. She makes her own and she proved today she still has the power to do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Yes Martina Hingis is back in the top echelon of women's tennis, and if she meets Lindsay Davenport or a player of Lindsay Davenport's stature in the Final or Semi-Final of a Grand Slam then Martina can and will beat them :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,070 Posts
Zauber said:
Martina Hingis
is back with the best in women's tennis.
I thought she would make it into the 10-20.
But she is back in the top 6,7,8
the power players are giving her no special trouble.
She lost to to Amelie Moresmo, Justin Hennin, Elena Dementieva all players with versatility and movement.
She is one and one with the best power player Maria sharapova.
This is great and beyond reasonable expectations.
A great player coming back proving her greatness and not making excuses.
She will win Amelie Moresmo, Justin Hennin, Elena Dementieva for sure with the improvement of her games.
This is only March of the year :bounce:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
171,102 Posts
iloveMartinaHingis said:
Yes Martina Hingis is back in the top echelon of women's tennis, and if she meets Lindsay Davenport or a player of Lindsay Davenport's stature in the Final or Semi-Final of a Grand Slam then Martina can and will beat them :D
Well...i give her 100% credit for this one. I did not think she would be ready for such a win... :worship: Now win the whole TOURNEY because Mary is going to win Miami..how is that for a trade off ;) !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,683 Posts
dinhd82 said:
Wow, I thought you said you were a fan but after reading this, seems like your just a tool.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway...Martina is already playing top 10 level tennis, I think that is the point right?? She has beaten 2 of the top 4 players already, and she hasn't always been playing that great yet she keeps finding ways to win, gotta love it. I think she is terrific, she knows what needs to be done to get back to the top 5 now, and I think she will be there by the YEC. She has a great shot at being back in the top 10 after RG. I am really hoping for a Justine/Martina final at IW now!!! :hearts:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,053 Posts
Beating Lindsay today was a huge step for Martina. Even if Davenport wasn't playing at her best, the important thing is that Martina won and she knows it. This will hopefully give her the mindframe and confidence of a top player, and that's all she needs!
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top