·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PETERDY, MARTA (nee Marta Popp)
Hungary France
Born 21 February 1923.
Married Oszkar Wolf-Schneider von Arno
[Active 1943-1965]

Born Marta Popp, she changed her surname to Peterdy in 1943. She played as Peterdy-Wolf after marriage. She is a Baroness.

4 time Hungarian national champion (1943, 1951, 1952, and 1956).

Other titles:

Hungarian International (1946), Buadapest (1947) ,Cannes (1957), Paris and St Moritz (1958), and Casablanca (1959).

Rriple winner at the 1946 Hungarian International. Winning the Doubles at Monte Carlo in 1948 (the Iliffe Trophy) with Suzy Kormoczy was one of her career highlights.
Stateless after the Hungarian Revolution in 1956, she wed a Mr Wolf and thereafter resided in France.

She entered Forest Hills only once, in 1962.

Wimbledon record (1947-1949, 1953, 1960-1963, and1965)

Singles: 4-8
Doubles: 3-5
Mixed: 2-4

Photo taken in 1946

Sources:

Martha Peterdy
thread:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=811090

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/score...e4b/index.html

http://www.ascot-club.eu/upload/marta-peterdy.html

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A dated article and picture from 1946. Even with google translate I can't make heads nor tails of this.

http://www.huszadikszazad.hu/cikk/peterdy-marta-harmas-bajnoksagot-nyert-a-nemzetkozi-bajnoksagokon

1946 | Szeptember

Peterdy Márta hármas bajnokságot nyert a nemzetközi bajnokságokon

Kikapott az Asbóth-Körmöczi-pár

A nemzetközi bajnokságok befejező két napján további nagy meglepetések születtek. A női páros döntőben Peterdy, Gallnerné, az UTE-versenyen bajnokságot nyert Körmöczi, Patakyné kettős ellen játszott. Az első játszmát Körmöcziék, a másodikat Peterdyék nyerték.

A döntő játszmában Körmöczi-Patakyné már 4:0-ra vezetett, amikor Gallerné küzdeni akarásával játékot nyert a Peterdy-pár. Ettől kezdve a vesztésre álló kettős mintha szárnyakat kapott volna, nagyszerűen játszott. Gallnerné fürgébb, Peterdy keményebb lett és 7:5 arányban megnyerték a mérkőzést.

Másnap a vegyespáros elődöntőket simán nyerték az esélyesek és így a döntő az Asbóth, Körmöczi és a Szigeti, Peterdy párok játszották. Szigetiék nyerik az első játékot és fej-fej mellett halad a küzdelem. Felváltva vezet a két pár, óriási a küzdelem.

Szigetiéknak 8:7 állásnál három játszmalabdája is volt. Végül is 11:9 arányban nyernek. A második játszmát simán nyerik Asbóthék, míg a döntő játszmában a Szigeti-Peterdy kettős megint kitűnően játszik és 6:2-re nyeri a döntőt.

A játék méltó volt a döntőhöz. Régen látott nagyszerű vegyespáros játék alakult ki. Szép hosszú és izgalmas labdameneteket, helyenként bravúros ütéseket láttunk. Szigetiék megérdemelték a győzelmet.

Eredmények:
Női páros döntő: Peterdy, Gallnerné – Körmöczi, Patakyné 4:6, 6:4, 7:5.

Vegyespáros elődöntő: Szigeti, Peterdy-Frigyesi, Gallnerné 6:3, 6:4, Asbóth, Körmöczi – Szigeti, Hidassyné 6:1, 6:2, döntő: Szigeti, Peterdy – Asbóth, Körmöczi 11:9, 2:6, 6:2.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She was a member of several clubs during her career:
MAC (Hungarian Athletic Club): 1943
BBTE: 1946
Vasas: 1947-1956

I think she was a world-class player (belonging to the Top100 of the world) in 1943, 1946-8, 1951-2. Her best years were 1947-48, in those years she may have belonged in the Top50 players of the world.
Thanks Elegos:)

I agree with you. Who knows too how her game (or Kormoczy too) was affected by restrictions from communism. She could still compete well into her 40s by staying competitive until 1965. A career of at least 22 years!

Another question for you: what is the story behinf the name change in 1943 from Popp to Peterdy? And do we know when she wed Oszkar Wolf-Schneider von Arno?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Another question for you: what is the story behinf the name change in 1943 from Popp to Peterdy? And do we know when she wed Oszkar Wolf-Schneider von Arno?
I do not know why she changed her name in 1943. Maybe Popp was too Jewish-sounding? In the first part of the 20th century there has been a tendency (and pressure from authorities) to change names to more Hungarian-sounding ones.
My great-grandfather was also asked to change his Czech name to a Hungarian one, but he was not willing to do it, and consequently was left out of the national athletic team.

I do not know when she married Oszkar Wolf, a Hungarian tennis encyclopedia states he was already her husband, when they left the country after the Hungarian revolution in the fall of 1956.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
A dated article and picture from 1946. Even with google translate I can't make heads nor tails of this.

http://www.huszadikszazad.hu/cikk/peterdy-marta-harmas-bajnoksagot-nyert-a-nemzetkozi-bajnoksagokon

1946 | Szeptember

Peterdy Márta hármas bajnokságot nyert a nemzetközi bajnokságokon

Kikapott az Asbóth-Körmöczi-pár
My best effort: Márta Peterdy won the international championships for the third time. The Asbóth-Körmöczi doubles team splits [alternate: is scratched]

A nemzetközi bajnokságok befejező két napján további nagy meglepetések születtek. A női páros döntőben Peterdy, Gallnerné, az UTE-versenyen bajnokságot nyert Körmöczi, Patakyné kettős ellen játszott. Az első játszmát Körmöcziék, a másodikat Peterdyék nyerték.
Two days of more great surprises at the international championships. In the women's doubles final, the foursome of Peterdy/Gallnerné and Körmöczi/Patakyné raced for the the UTE championships. The first set was won by Körmöczi(/Patakyné), the second by Peterdy(/Gallnerné).

A döntő játszmában Körmöczi-Patakyné már 4:0-ra vezetett, amikor Gallerné küzdeni akarásával játékot nyert a Peterdy-pár. Ettől kezdve a vesztésre álló kettős mintha szárnyakat kapott volna, nagyszerűen játszott. Gallnerné fürgébb, Peterdy keményebb lett és 7:5 arányban megnyerték a mérkőzést.
In the final set, Körmöczi/Patakyné lead 4-0 when Gallerné won the game to fight back for the Peterdy team. From then on, the losing pair seemed to have received wings and played magnificently. Gallnerné was swifter, Peterdy was harder coming through 7-5 to win.

I'll try the rest later. Am reminded why I usually stick with IE languages.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll try the rest later. Am reminded why I usually stick with IE languages.
Hi Ms. Anthropic,

You made a worthy effort with only a few mistakes, congratulations.
However, the correct translation would be like this.

Márta Peterdy has won the triple (all three events) at the international championships
The Asbóth-Körmöczi pair lost.

In the last two days of the international championships there were additional great surprises. In the women's doubles final, the foursome of Peterdy/Gallnerné played Körmöczi/Patakyné, who previously won the (national) championships on the courts of UTE (my remark: the national event was played in August, the international in September). The first set was won by Körmöczi(/Patakyné), the second by Peterdy(/Gallnerné).

In the final set, Körmöczi/Patakyné lead 4-0 when Gallerné led her team to win a game. From then on, the losing pair seemed to have received wings and played magnificently. Gallnerné was swifter, Peterdy was harder and they came through 7-5 to win the match.

The next day the semi-finals of the mixed doubles brought no surprises, so the final was played between Asbóth/Körmöczi and Szigeti/Peterdy. Szigeti/Peterdy won the first game and the two teams were head-to-head in the first set. Szigeti/Peterdy had set a point at 8:7, finally they won the set 11:9. In the second set Asbóth/Körmöczi were dominating, however, in the third Szigeti/Peterdy played once again magnificently and won it 6:2.

The level of play was worthy for a final, such a good mixed double match has not been seen recently. There were long and exciting rallies, occasionally with spectacular shots. Szigeti/Peterdy deserved their victory.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Many thanks Mrs A and Elegos:worship:

Do we know more about Gallnerné and Patakyné? I wish to add them to our Encyclopedia.
As I continue my teach-yourself-Hungarian internet crash course, the "-né" suffix means "Mrs." or "mistress." So they are more properly Mrs./Miss Gallner and Mrs./Miss Pataky.

At the moment, this is just a bucket of words to me, but it seems to have some names in it: http://epa.oszk.hu/02100/02127/00057/pdf/EPA02127_tennis_es_golf_1932_4_003.pdf

·
Registered
172 Posts
Do we know more about Gallnerné and Patakyné? I wish to add them to our Encyclopedia.
Here is what a recently published Hungarian Tennis Encyclopedia has about them.

Gallner Ferencné (Mrs Gallner, the wife of Ferenc Gallner)
1913.Aug.19. Arad (now part of Romania) – 1984.Nov.6. Budapest
maiden name: unknown

She won eight team championships with her club, Újpesti Dózsa between 1949 and 1967.
She was one of the best Hungarian ladies in the 1940s, but had most of her success in doubles (won the international championships with Marta Peterdy in 1946).
She had a peculiar backhand (maybe similar to the one Berasategui had?) and was a stubborn fighter who reveled in playing long, strenuous matches.

I found no trace of a Patakyné (this is probably a typo, the national women’s doubles title in 1946 was won by Körmöczy/Paksyné).
So here is what the Encyclopedia has about Paksyné.
Paksy Józsefné (Mrs Paksy)
date of birth: unknown (she left the country after the 1956 revolution and died in Brussels).
maiden name: Mária Uhlmann, she was a baroness

She was one of the best Hungarian ladies in the 1930s, national champion in singles in 1937. She reached the 2nd round in Wimbledon in 1938.
She played her first tournament in 1919, but even in 1948 she was still a member of the champion team.
She was 6 times national doubles champion (with Schréder Lászlóné), and also won twice the mixed doubles title. After the war she had two additional women’s doubles title with Körmöczy (1946) and Hidassyné (1947). She has also won the international women's doubles title 3 times.
She won 8 team championships, 5 times with BLKE before World War II, and 3 times (1946-48) with her new club BEAC after the war.
Her family was prosecuted during the communist era in the first part of the 1950s. She left the country after the 1956 revolution and died in Brussels.

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As I continue my teach-yourself-Hungarian internet crash course, the "-né" suffix means "Mrs." or "mistress." So they are more properly Mrs./Miss Gallner and Mrs./Miss Pataky.

At the moment, this is just a bucket of words to me, but it seems to have some names in it: http://epa.oszk.hu/02100/02127/00057...1932_4_003.pdf
I would give you an A plus Mrs A. :worship:

You helped me understand the "ne" a lot better.

When I lived in Asia and didn't want to practice English (or have people practice on me) I would pretend to be "Zoltan" (a cool name I thought-Monica Seles has a brother nmaed Zoltan) from Gyor, Hungary.

I found this worked like a charm. No one ever tried Hungarian on me.

Once when I went jungle trekking in Borneo I pretended to be Polish, and some villagers got excited and told me about a Polish missionary priest nearby! I had a narrow escape, and never tried that again.

But the Hungarian act worked every time!

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fantastic Elegos!

This is the type of info we could use for every Hungarian player in your Encyclopedia.

Questions.

1. Do you have the name of the Encyclopedia, author and date published?

2. page numbers for the entries?

3. So does the name Schréder Lászlóné =Mrs László Schréder in English?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts