Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know what Bartoli wants. She can't tell people how to react to losses. It would be more dramatic for the fans if every handshake is a Rodionova slap and every press conference is Venus' 3 word answers. But everyone reacts to losses differently.
Actually, I was thinking about this. Yeah, not everyone acts like Rodionova or Venus, but we have an entire thread about bad handshakes and we've seen some very 'one-syllable words' press conferences from top players after upsets. I don't really see the game the way Marion does.
I do agree with the fakeness of social media, and that is probably a distraction for the younger girls, but that's really a problem that exceeds tennis. Bartoli herself used to post some allegedly happy photos when she was actually having weight problems. Maybe mentioning that would've made her message sound more grounded and less patronizing.

·
Art & Futures
20,359 Posts
While I agree that for the sake of tennis, it is better if you really feel the loss, I think people - who have the resources - are just mentally healthier and more well-rounded nowadays. They realize that they shouldn't place their self worth around one career, one win, one loss, etc. While that makes tennis less mentally competitive, it does allow players to have a greater sense of self-worth and belonging to the world outside of tennis.

·
Registered
14,888 Posts
Actually, I was thinking about this. Yeah, not everyone acts like Rodionova or Venus, but we have an entire thread about bad handshakes and we've seen some very 'one-syllable words' press conferences from top players after upsets. I don't really see the game the way Marion does.
I do agree with the fakeness of social media, and that is probably a distraction for the younger girls, but that's really a problem that exceeds tennis. Bartoli herself used to post some allegedly happy photos when she was actually having weight problems. Maybe mentioning that would've made her message sound more grounded and less patronizing.
Busted

·
Registered
83,498 Posts

·
Registered
24,012 Posts
Exactly. On social media, everyone wants to portray their life as better than it is, keep up with the Jones's, what whatnot. She did it herself...

·
Registered
167 Posts
“I feel the way the new generation has been brought up, a lot more social media, a lot more ‘fake’ interaction with people, it’s more about how you can sort of fake it in a way."
Now social networks use to appear different, create an imagined image to get approval. For example, Sharapova places photos where she is different from life and she says in a video like a fifteen-year-old girl . For some reason, she does not want to be herself, it resembles a film about herself, what she wants to be.

·
Registered
385 Posts
don't like her use of the word "fake", comes across as bitter. i guess i can somewhat see her old school roots on this subject, i watch the NBA as well and a lot of old-school NBA fans don't like the buddy-buddy nature of today's NBA. I can see the common link between WTA and the NBA as the players are just happy to be wealthy and enjoying life with that wealth.

and there's the other topic of mental health being more important that ever, people just want to be in a level-headed happy state. they are definitely disappointed in the losses but its also important to exude positivity.

·
Registered
24,012 Posts
Now social networks use to appear different, create an imagined image to get approval. For example, Sharapova places photos where she is different from life and she says in a video like a fifteen-year-old girl . For some reason, she does not want to be herself, it resembles a film about herself, what she wants to be.
You are certifiably obsessed with Sharapova. You're off the mark with this one, once again. Most of her social media is about travel, architecture, museums, her business, and food. She could easily be posting tons of bikini shots in Bora Bora all day long like some other players, but that's not the case.

·
Registered
761 Posts
She's not wrong, a lot of girls are mediocre because they're not getting pissed enough when they lose.

Then again back then there was way more competition on the tour, now the tour is watered down and there's no definite winner, everyone can get a slam now.

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
While I agree that for the sake of tennis, it is better if you really feel the loss, I think people - who have the resources - are just mentally healthier and more well-rounded nowadays. They realize that they shouldn't place their self worth around one career, one win, one loss, etc. While that makes tennis less mentally competitive, it does allow players to have a greater sense of self-worth and belonging to the world outside of tennis.
I disagree that the mentality overall makes tennis less competitive. If anything, it allows players to build resilience. The majority of players will be losing a match every week. If you took the loss hard EVERY WEEK, that's gonna hurt. It's going to basically kill you. I do feel though that a top player losing in the QFs or SFs on a slam or big tournament, well that should be a very different feeling to the no.50 losing in the first or second round of an international. So yeah, maybe Bartoli has a point, but she shouldn't have made it such a blanket statement.

·
Registered
30,899 Posts
This a bit blunt but Bartoli's own obsession with tennis led her to a very sheltered life and she had absolutely no idea how to live a normal life when she retired. It isn't exactly healthy.

·
Banned
7,708 Posts
#1 seeded = SF = early loss!
Is it an act (like your Serena fandom) or are you naturally thick?

So, how many early losses did Whineniacki have as a no. 1 seed? Loads I'm sure.

No wonder you are hated on here.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts