Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Did it occur to Marion that players deal with losses in their own way? And I'm not sure she understands social media toxicity where the more you reveal, the more you open yourself up to criticism. It might actually be a good thing to not reveal to the world every emotion you're feeling, the moment you're feeling it. This also applies to interactions irl where your vulnerabilities can be used against you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Rather confused stuff from Marion, there are two completely different questions here, how players feel after a loss and how candid they are about their feelings on social media.
About the first, I think it depends on the person. Fear of losing can make a player to raise their game in important moments and can drive them to constantly keep improving themselves and work on their weaknesses. At the same time fear of losing can paralyze - I've seen many matches when in a tight game the players start pushing and not taking any risks at all or suddenly missing complete sitters. Also fear of losing and not taking losses well can lead to emotional burnout. IIRC Henin was that way, she really didn't take losing well, and that may have contributed to her rather early retirement. It all depends on the person, for some it can help, for others it will be a problem. Bartoli seems to be saying 'I've felt that way so everyone else should'.
As to how much you want to share your feelings on social media, that's totally up to the player, some will be hurting after a loss but present a brave face on social media. I totally understand not wanting to share your every thought and emotion with all of Internet. Again, it all depends on the person.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Did it occur to Marion that players deal with losses in their own way? And I'm not sure she understands social media toxicity where the more you reveal, the more you open yourself up to criticism. It might actually be a good thing to not reveal to the world every emotion you're feeling, the moment you're feeling it. This also applies to interactions irl where your vulnerabilities can be used against you.
I agree, the exposure of players leaves them so vulnerable... for example blanket criticisms like Bartoli's

However, on superficial inspection I think there is a complacency among top women's tennis players.

But we are always left with comparisons between the women's tour and the mens when you've had nadal, djokovic and Federer at the top of the game winning everything for years it's hard to go "why not _?"

So we begin to look for answers... I personally think the earnings between top players and the itf as well as players in wheelchair events is too far disproportionate and have allowed for complacency. This has become particularly noticeable when social media has allowed us the audience to view them through other lenses seeing aspects of athletes lives and expectung them to be living glamorous affluent life styles.
Even further they're not not regular people. They have these expectations too, are young and rich. So why not fuck it. You've made it.

·
Registered
29,584 Posts
Yes, this new generation is definitely different. In both a good and a bad way. But it's true it seems like certain values have been lost for good. Everything seems too easy now.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I agree, the exposure of players leaves them so vulnerable... for example blanket criticisms like Bartoli's

However, on superficial inspection I think there is a complacency among top women's tennis players.

But we are always left with comparisons between the women's tour and the mens when you've had nadal, djokovic and Federer at the top of the game winning everything for years it's hard to go "why not _?"

So we begin to look for answers... I personally think the earnings between top players and the itf as well as players in wheelchair events is too far disproportionate and have allowed for complacency. This has become particularly noticeable when social media has allowed us the audience to view them through other lenses seeing aspects of athletes lives and expectung them to be living glamorous affluent life styles.
Even further they're not not regular people. They have these expectations too, are young and rich. So why not fuck it. You've made it.
I agree with everything you said. The problem I have is that Marion is conflating the two: "You don't look miserable after a loss? You're complacent and don't care enough". She must love Sevastova :eek:h: It's fair enough that these women may have different goals. Some want to elevate themselves to goat status while others are content with other milestones. Nothing wrong with it imho. And uneven prize money distribution creates an unnecessary divide that disadvantages lower ranked players.

What is also harmful to the tour is that slams are placed at a much more prestigious level than all other tournaments. Slams will always set the benchmark (which I think should be the case) but they've tipped the scales too far on that end imho.

These are structural issues that are not the fault of the players so who could blame them for making the most of it.

·
Registered
24,012 Posts
I do agree with Marion on the complacency of many players, but I do think players who are highly motivated can take losses in stride without crying or prostrating themselves in front of the media and social media.

This is really odd coming from her though. She has long being known by her dysmorphia, eating disorders, and odd social media presence (even to this day). I wouldn't exactly take tips from her.

·
Registered
112,988 Posts
There is no reason to go into depression after a loss. Bartoli has no idea how it feels to be one of the favorites at a major. That is a lot of pressure Bartyy had. Its best to accept losses because like Muguruza, its always possible to get the right draw at the right time and make another run. Especially in the post-Serena world where there is a surprise slam winner at almost half the majors

·
Premium Member
37,866 Posts
Are you sure it's not a typo, and she was thinking "Some players are cake"?
First I've read "Marion Bartoli slams fat tennis players", and I thought WTF, she's slamming herself???
with your shit no wonder there are problems of anorexia

Contemporary illness of sad people who think what's mean is funny.

·
Registered
83,498 Posts
Great from Bartoli! Speaking out the truth!

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Very good point highlighted by Bartoli, she's quite right.
Players that after a loss are all smiles and hug and kiss the opponent make feel that WTA matches are fake as WWE ones.

Vekic "very happy" to be defeated by Bencic in the QF of tha last USO.
L'immagine può contenere: 1 persona, con sorriso, spazio all'aperto

·
Registered
83,498 Posts
There is no reason to go into depression after a loss. Bartoli has no idea how it feels to be one of the favorites at a major. That is a lot of pressure Bartyy had. Its best to accept losses because like Muguruza, its always possible to get the right draw at the right time and make another run. Especially in the post-Serena world where there is a surprise slam winner at almost half the majors
To take a baby to PC as World No 1 after an early exit of a Slam is just disrespectful to the fans and to the sport!

·
Premium Member
37,866 Posts
Why a provocative title to cause mean answers? Why projecting bias? To appear smart? Another contemporary illness I'm afraid.

When Marions says "it's difficult to not give lessons" about what she feels and thinks, I thought it could relate to her communication with Ostapenko. Why not?

That said, a lot of interesting answers in this thread despite the abusive title.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Players that after a loss are all smiles and hug and kiss the opponent make feel that WTA matches are fake as WWE ones.

L'immagine può contenere: 1 persona, con sorriso, spazio all'aperto'immagine può contenere: 1 persona, con sorriso, spazio all'aperto

Oh no, she smiled and hugged her oponent after loss!!! What a disgrace!!!!111

BTW- IMO bigger problems than players who are smiling to opponents are players who don't care about staying in shape... Bartoli might say thing or two about it,

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
"Fake" is what is demanded though.

If a player smashes her racquet in frustration she's warned and could eventually lose a point.
If the player curses to herself and a linesperson overhears she's warned and could eventually lose a point.
If an excited coach in the stands makes a gesture that's construed as coaching, the player is warned and could eventually lose a point.

So after tennis authorities have deliberately sanitized player (and coach) conduct, it's hardly fair to blame the players for it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts

L'immagine può contenere: 1 persona, con sorriso, spazio all'aperto'immagine può contenere: 1 persona, con sorriso, spazio all'aperto
Except that photo wasn't even from their USO match. It was likely taken during their doubles match in AO 2019.

Donna did hug Belinda after losing that QF, but she wasn't smiling happily like that. They are also good friends so it's not like they are completely faking it. Belinda also gave Donna a hug after losing to her earlier last year in RG.

Also, funny how you feel like WTA matches are fake when people just love to attack on WTA players for not getting along well with each other with cold handshakes, unlike ATP where the top players are all friends and give nice handshakes/hugs.

·
Registered
14,889 Posts
To take a baby to PC as World No 1 after an early exit of a Slam is just disrespectful to the fans and to the sport!
That's where this yahoo article goes off the deep end.

Although the Marion did not slam Ash in the podcast the podcasters clearly interpreted her criticism as endorsing their preexisting criticism of Ash bringing a baby (Catherine Whitaker called the baby a "human shield"). Sorry but that's a disgrace. Since when do journalists need baby-free safe-space in order to ask tough questions? What the actual fuck? Babies don't bite so stop being snowflakes and do your fucking job.

if anything it's the tennis journalists who should be blamed for using the baby's presense as shield from doing their responsible duty.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Barty seems genuinely level headed and not "fake" maybe because of her Aussie persona. She already retired a few years ago to play cricket. She probably has a more grounded perspective after a loss than other players around her age.

I don't know what Bartoli wants. She can't tell people how to react to losses. It would be more dramatic for the fans if every handshake is a Rodionova slap and every press conference is Venus' 3 word answers. But everyone reacts to losses differently.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I agree 1000% with Marion, back in the day when I lost a match I would be so upset that I almost ALWAYS took a crap in my opponents racquet bag in the locker room after the match. If you know my record that means that I stunk up a LOT of locker rooms back in the day!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Bartoli is right. She is just taking the PC language in saying Women's tennis needs more drama queens and bitchiness to build some catty, intense matches for marketing purposes. The whole I am so boring Barty thing is not helpful at all. I completely agree with her.

Let there be more Allez up your a$$, I dont lie because I am a mother. Brainless ball basher and pusher. Classy handshakes and I dont know her personality.

Yastremska is showing some potential and hopefully others will follow her.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts