Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelin

Votes: 6 30.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Martina Hingis out, and Patty Schnyder looking more and more like she is never going to fufill her vast promise, we must turn to the "next generation" of Swiss players: Marie-Gaianeh Mikaelin and Myriam Casanova. Of these two, which do you think will end up being the most successful (thus inheriting the title "Swiss Miss")? Please feel free to elaborate on how successful they will be, and why.

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know I spelled Marie's middle name incorrectly, so please don't harp about it:p . Personally, I think Myriam has the most talent of the two, but I still don't see her as a slam contender:( . I think she could definately be a solid top twenty player if she lost weight and got to a few more balls (MGM I see as a top 30/40 talent).

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
what about timea? she's just started to play some challenger events this year.

marie vs. myriam. that's pretty tough they both have a lot of talent. but from memory casanova has the better results against the top player (i may be mistaken) so i'd put her ahead of mikaelian. i watched mikaelian vs. capriati at wimbledon and marie had great groundies, she went with jen until jen decided to end the point and go for a winner, in that particular match marie wasn'ty agressive enough but if she becomes more agressive watch out because she will be top 20 in no time.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
I was going to say, what about that Baczinsky girl?... but Gowza got there first. Out of the two, I'd say Casanova has more natural talent. She's a powerful girl but because of her, ahem, size, people will always find a way to beat her. MGM will prolly have the better career in the long run, simply by being consistent and staying around the 15-30 mark and always making the 3R/4R of GS's. She's a nice sensible girl is that Marie... :hearts:

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Timea Bachzenskieya and Tina Schissman are the enxt two promising Swiss.

Marie and Myriam have both good games, Marie in time to come will be one of the most powerful strikers out there, and with Myriam, she also has a effective power game and has alot of talent at the net. These two do have the game to take their game to the top 25 I should think, even higher.

Myriam is more advanced at the net, just needs to get fitter, and she will be a force on the tour. Same with Marie, I estimated her one time as the next Mary Pierce.

·
Premium Member
38,993 Posts
Lindsayfan said:
the next swiss miss will be my daughter who still has to born but I can assure she'll play great tennis! :p
:lol: and you'll be the next melanie molitor?? ;) i hope not, valeria!

it's really hard to say. what i like about marie's career so far is the fact that her rise was slow, but steady. she never made a big jump, but somehow clawed her way up the rankings. has beaten lots of top 20 players (dementieva, schnyder, farina elia, maleeva, shaughnessy, sugiyama etc.), but never a top 10 player. her grand slams performances were poor so far, though. badly in need of a proper coach.

unlike marie, myriam has already beaten a top ten player (justine), but after a tremendous first year on the tour, she's had a terrible 2003 so far. at least she gets supported by swiss tennis, which could make some difference in the end. as long as her health/weight problems are not resolved, i don't see her surpass marie, though.

both have a lot of work to do if they really want to fulfill their respective potentials. and i hope they will! :D

·
Premium Member
38,993 Posts
oh, and of course timea is immensely talented, but i think that's a different age group (she's 5 years younger than marie). that'd be the next next swiss miss, then.... ;)

·
Registered
12,908 Posts
Myriam will be better. I think she can be a solid top 20 player, maybe even top 10 if she improves more and works on her mobility and fitness.
I think Marie has gone as far as she can go, i think she will just be a good top 30 player.
Its a bit early to judge about Timea, shes only 14 i think, and only played a couple of pro events. She won a 10K but she needs to win more before we start declaring her the next swiss miss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.