Tennis Forum banner

3761 - 3780 of 3805 Posts

·
Registered
13,254 Posts
Maria was just on Zoom with some fans, and she answered candidly about some things, so just wanted to share some that I remember with you guys. If anyone remembers any funny ones, feel free to share!

She mentioned that if there was a player she wished she could have played before she retired, it would have been Amanda and maybe Coco.

She also laughed quite a bit at some of her quotable moments like "Is her last name Jankovic" and "extremely injured" and "Isn't she back in Poland?" She also said someone brought up "Check her blood pressure" to her very recently. 😂

It seems like she thinks AO 2008 was the best she ever played. She recalled waking up from a nap and being so ready for the Davenport match, and that set the tone for the rest of the tournament.

I forgot what her favorite Nike outfits were, but Max's favorite was the one she wore at the 2007 WTA Finals.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Maria was just on Zoom with some fans, and she answered candidly about some things, so just wanted to share some that I remember with you guys. If anyone remembers any funny ones, feel free to share!

She mentioned that if there was a player she wished she could have played before she retired, it would have been Amanda and maybe Coco.

She also laughed quite a bit at some of her quotable moments like "Is her last name Jankovic" and "extremely injured" and "Isn't she back in Poland?" She also said someone brought up "Check her blood pressure" to her very recently. 😂

It seems like she thinks AO 2008 was the best she ever played. She recalled waking up from a nap and being so ready for the Davenport match, and that set the tone for the rest of the tournament.

I forgot what her favorite Nike outfits were, but Max's favorite was the one she wore at the 2007 WTA Finals.
Omg I just saw her post on her insta now, how did you find out about it I’m so sad I missed it, I’m such a #fakefan. That sounds so fun and surreal to have a video chat with her! :eek:

·
Registered
12,443 Posts
You guys are very lucky. If there are any more here who remembers more please feel free to share for those of us not present. I deleted all my socials a couple of years back but recently remade Insta primarily for her posts/stories. It seems Twitter is probably the one I should've stuck with.

More miffed about missing the cut off for letters than the Zoom thing. Oh well, I'll get my letter to her one day.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts

AO 2008 indeed. Not that I remember the matches so long ago but I remember that she was so zoned in.

·
Registered
13,254 Posts
Omg I just saw her post on her insta now, how did you find out about it I’m so sad I missed it, I’m such a #fakefan. That sounds so fun and surreal to have a video chat with her! :eek:
You guys are very lucky. If there are any more here who remembers more please feel free to share for those of us not present. I deleted all my socials a couple of years back but recently remade Insta primarily for her posts/stories. It seems Twitter is probably the one I should've stuck with.

More miffed about missing the cut off for letters than the Zoom thing. Oh well, I'll get my letter to her one day.
There might be some more for fans, so keep a lookout! Especially on Twitter. She reposted my Instagram story. 😭

Also, it seems like she has a few projects coming up, not that it's surprising. I kinda forgot what they were, but one of them she mentioned something related to architecture?

Another thing she mentioned was that the last time she got drunk was about a year ago. Also, it's been hard for her to look at images, like ones where she's about to serve, because it just reminds her of being in pain. There were many instances where she's had to numb/ice before/during matches. 🥺I also remember from the podcast Max was on, and he said that the forearm was much more of a bigger problem than the shoulder in recent years, even though they mostly blamed the shoulder when pulling out of tournaments — I thought that was interesting, and our suspicions about that were correct.

All in all, you can really tell she appreciates all of our support over the years, and she hopes to keep connecting with us even though tennis is no longer her career.

3761 - 3780 of 3805 Posts