Cincinnati Open
US Open
China Open, Beijing
Tianjin Open
WTA Championships, Singapore

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
What is the best guess of points / ranking before the French Open cutoff? Will Maria be back in the top 20, maybe top 10, by then?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Barring injury, Maria could be in the YEC next year. Injuries and not playing 3 slams this year is why she is not ranked higher now.

·
Would be good if she played Doha. She has a good record there, played there 3 times and only lost once I believe.

Or maybe she should play some lower-ranked tournaments as well just so she can have some consistent wins.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Brisbane will be packed and she would need a WC for the main draw. Instead she should play Shenzen or Auckland where she wouldn't need a WC. I actually prefer the idea of Sydney as most of the top players will opt out and it will give her a good chance to get some matches in. However a deep run could impact on the Aussie Open so it depends what her expectations are for next year. As previously mentioned I also like the idea of St Petersburg after Australia.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
51,023 Posts
Suggestion :lol:

Shenzhen
Australian Open
St. Petersburg
Indian Wells
Miami
Stuttgart
Madrid
Rome
Roland Garros
Mallorca
Wimbledon
Moscow
Montreal
Cincinnati
US Open
Beijing
Tianjin
Singapore/Moscow

·
Registered
570 Posts
She should add a few decent internationals and ditch some unnecessary premiers.

Shenzhen/ Auckland

Australian Open

St Petersburg

Indian Wells

Miami

Stuttgart

Madrid

Rome (if lost early in Madrid)

Roland Garros

Birmingham

Wimbledon

Stanford

Cincinnati

US Open

Beijing

Hong Kong

YEC/ Zhuhai

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
I would hope she would make a light clay-court and US HC schedule.

Drop Madrid and play either Montreal or Cincinnati.
Start the first week at Auckland or Shenzhen.
Maybe play a smaller HC tournament between the AO and Indian Wells and Miami.

I think she has already signed up for Birmingham, but that would be a good choice regardless.

·
Milk and honey
3,565 Posts
I would hope she would make a light clay-court and US HC schedule.

Drop Madrid and play either Montreal or Cincinnati.
Start the first week at Auckland or Shenzhen.
Maybe play a smaller HC tournament between the AO and Indian Wells and Miami.

I think she has already signed up for Birmingham, but that would be a good choice regardless.
Interesting choices, I pretty much agree, other than the light clay court. I feel that she can still produce really good results on clay, especially since the top players in 2017 were even worse on clay and at RG than in other years.

She definitely won't drop Madrid, even though it is the worst high profile clay court even of the swing.

Reactions: Mr.Sharapova

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Thank God she entered Shenzhen. Great call.

I think she'll play a light schedule next year. I don't see her playing 3 leadups for either the French or US Opens. I hope it'll be something like...

Shenzhen
Australian Open
Indian Wells
Miami
Stuttgart
Madrid (then withdraw from Rome)
French Open
Wimbledon
Roger's Cup
Cincy
US Open
Beijing
YEC if she qualifies

I think if she has a good January she won't bother with St. Petersburg. But either way I really don't see her playing more than 12-13 events.

Reactions: Mr.Sharapova

·
Playing Madrid and withdrawing from Rome would be a bad decision imo and the opposite of what she should do. I think she should skip Madrid because it's an annoying fast clay court (which she sucks on) whereas Rome is a slower clay court and similar to the conditions at Roland Garros.

·
Registered
10,979 Posts
Thank God she entered Shenzhen. Great call.

I think she'll play a light schedule next year. I don't see her playing 3 leadups for either the French or US Opens. I hope it'll be something like...

Shenzhen
Australian Open
Indian Wells
Miami
Stuttgart
Madrid (then withdraw from Rome)
French Open
Wimbledon
Roger's Cup
Cincy
US Open
Beijing
YEC if she qualifies

I think if she has a good January she won't bother with St. Petersburg. But either way I really don't see her playing more than 12-13 events.
We need to add Birmingham since she's dealt to play there 2 years.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
We need to add Birmingham since she's dealt to play there 2 years.
That'll depend on Paris. She hasn't gotten to the second week of RG and then played a grass warmup since, what, 2009? If she has a good run in Paris I expect her to withdrawal and then do some promo there instead.

·
CGS
7,580 Posts
I thought that deal was broken coz Maria was injured and did not play this year, hence returned the WC? But I still hope she would play Birmingham if she can though.

My ideal schedule for her:

Shenzhen
AO
(St Petersburg? If she flops at AO)
Indian Wells
Miami
Stuttgart
Madrid (as much as I hate this court, it would be quite risky to just enter Rome as the only outdoor clay event leading up to RG, god helps us if she somehow loses early in Rome. She can lose in R3 of Madrid for all I care)
Rome
RG
(Birmingham? If she flops at RG)
Wimbledon
Montreal & Cincy (same situation as Madrid and Rome, she can always withdraw from Cincy if she goes far or wins Montreal)
USO
Beijing (but will she go all the way to Asia just to play Beijing? Beijing is like in the middle between USO and Singapore, I bet she's not that crazy to go all the way there, play one event, somehow flop, bring her ass back to the states, a few weeks later go back to Asia for Singapore? :hysteric: Or maybe she will play Wuhan this time?)
Singapore

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think she's contractually obliged to play in Birmingham next year as part of the LTA's wildcard offer back in June. She signed for 2 years, I don't think the fact she had to withdraw due to injury this year changes anything. Don't forget, Birmingham isn't the week after the French anymore, since it was upgraded to a Premier.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts