Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't realised Maria had this middle name until just now on another post. It's really rather lovely! Does anyone know if it has a meaning at all?

Reactions: watchdogfish

·
Registered
20,122 Posts
It's the Russian patronymic. It is after the person's father's name.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
TalulaTrauma said:
I hadn't realised Maria had this middle name until just now on another post. It's really rather lovely! Does anyone know if it has a meaning at all?

Russian women don't have middle names. Like cellophane said, "Yurevna" is just the patronymic father's name derived from "Yuri".

·
Banned
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vogus said:
Russian women don't have middle names. Like cellophane said, "Yurevna" is just the patronymic father's name derived from "Yuri".
Thank you. I'm really intrigued now, because I found this on a current post on WTAWorld about the BBC and a recent report they did. They gave Maria's full name as the one I stated, but under 'full name' for Nadia, Svetlana and Elena D, they did not have a 'middle' patronymic name. I'm sure it's just journalists, but I'm still intrigued!

·
Banned
2,936 Posts
Kirilenko has the same "middle" name!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
TalulaTrauma said:
Thank you. I'm really intrigued now, because I found this on a current post on WTAWorld about the BBC and a recent report they did. They gave Maria's full name as the one I stated, but under 'full name' for Nadia, Svetlana and Elena D, they did not have a 'middle' patronymic name. I'm sure it's just journalists, but I'm still intrigued!

of course those girls have patronymic names too.

Nadya's full name is Nadejda Viktorievna Petrova. I don't know Sveta's and Lena's.

·
Banned
1,346 Posts
Svetlana Aleksandrovna Kuznetsova
Elena Vyacheslavovna Dementieva
Anastasia Andreevna Myskina
Dinara Mikhailovna Safina
Elena Olegovna Bovina
:wavey:

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Every Russian, or Slavic person has this... in Russian they add this ending: for example, if Maria has a brother called, say, Stepan, he's be Stepan Yurevitch (sp?) Sharapov. It comes from the father's name and it's used very very widely in "polite" society in Russia. Same with all names, for example if a brother and sister's father was Ivan, he'd be Ivanovitch and she'd be Ivanovna. In Serbia we have this too, but you don't change the name, so you'd just be Jelena Damir Dokic or whatever. However, it's hardly used at all.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Lena D's father is Viatcheslav, Sveta's father is Alexandr . So Russian fans should be able to spell their patronymic?
:worship:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Munich said:
Elena Olegovna Bovina
:worship:

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
The_Pov said:
Kirilenko has the same "middle" name!
Yep. Because her father is also named Yuri. :lol:

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
vogus said:
of course those girls have patronymic names too.

Nadya's full name is Nadejda Viktorievna Petrova. I don't know Sveta's and Lena's.
She can't be Viktorievna, it's Viktorovna probably.

Viktorievna sounds like it's a version of a female name Viktoria.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
16,136 Posts
**Jelica** said:
Every Russian, or Slavic person has this... in Russian they add this ending: for example, if Maria has a brother called, say, Stepan, he's be Stepan Yurevitch (sp?) Sharapov. It comes from the father's name and it's used very very widely in "polite" society in Russia. Same with all names, for example if a brother and sister's father was Ivan, he'd be Ivanovitch and she'd be Ivanovna. In Serbia we have this too, but you don't change the name, so you'd just be Jelena Damir Dokic or whatever. However, it's hardly used at all.
Yea. My favorite is Nicholaievitch.

Its my middle name. :tape:.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Munich said:
Elena Olegovna Bovina
good job. thanks:)

·
Banned
2,936 Posts
~Kirilenko#1fan~ said:
Yep. Because her father is also named Yuri. :lol:
Yeah it's werid they are both best friends and both called:

Maria Yurevna ...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Elena's is a bit of a tongue twister.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
They are always friends?because i don't see the team played since a long time,since Birmigham 2005 to be honest

·
Banned
2,936 Posts
Pharrell said:
They are always friends?because i don't see the team played since a long time,since Birmigham 2005 to be honest
That's because big Masha doesn't play doubles anymore!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
oh,ok ;) i don't know that she want play doubles anymore,so that why maria plays with Ana now :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts