Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's a weird result.
I would've thought Nadia would at least make it to the semi's.
Oh well.
Congrats Maria.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I don't think she is as effective on faster surfaces, though she should be beating Vento really.

Vento won their previous meeting too, on clay in 1999.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
:eek: congrats!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Well done by Maria. Good to see she hung on in that second set. I would think that if she were to lose that second set, the result would have been different. Good work for her. She has excellent footwork and speed. A gorgeous player also.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Vento-Kabchi upsets No. 8 seed

July 22, 2003

STANFORD, Calif. (AP) -- Maria Vento-Kabchi upset eighth-seeded Nadia Petrova 6-1, 7-6 (7-4) Tuesday in the first round of the Bank of the West Classic.

``I played one of my best matches in a couple of months,'' said Vento-Kabchi, who lost in the second round of the Wimbledon qualifying tournament. ``I was able to work my strategy, move her around and work the angle.''

Petrova, who reached the semifinals of the French Open, was bothered by a sore back but said that wasn't the reason she lost.

``She played well,'' said Petrova, who lost in the first round for just the second time in 13 tournaments. ``Today was definitely not my best. I was feeling slow and wasn't as aggressive as I usually am. It wasn't a bad injury. My body is still getting used to playing a lot.''

Vento-Kabchi, ranked No. 130 in the world, beat the 25th-ranked Petrova in their only previous meeting, at the Italian Open in 1999.

In other first round matches, Francesca Schiavone beat Jill Craybas, 6-3, 6-1; Marie-Gaianeh defeated Julia Vakulenko, 6-1, 6-2; Alina Jidkova downed Sarah Taylor, 6-1, 6-4; and Amber Liu eliminated Tara Snyder, 2-6, 6-3, 6-2.

Liu, a sophomore at Stanford playing in her first WTA Tour main draw, will meet second-ranked Kim Clijsters in the second round. Liu won the NCAA singles title in the spring and is playing this summer as an amateur.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Petrova had some sort of right shoulder injury...but she was still serving around 98-105 range.

The thing is, Maria was playing very, very well. She was returning serves that you didn't think were coming back. When she had the openings, she'd thwack the ball on the line for a winner.

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
Petrova is a great player, I said she could be top 10 before her injury and she is my favorite russian player (with Vera).

Maria Vento had a great result on grass the week before Wimbledon and she is really focused right now. I am glad for her.

GO MARIA! :wavey:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.