Tennis Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What some don´t understand: Maria LOVES tennis ! And the competition ! :yeah:
(She told this again at Linz in case you have not seen her press conference there.)
And she is one of the biggest fighters in women sports ever. Maria NEVER gives up.
SO she will continue to play and be patient until her body falls completely apart.

I have a big respect for her fighter and never-give-up attitude :worship:

Maria has enough money. She could stop right now. But she LOVES tennis ! :hearts:

Look at Sloane and some others who do not love tennis and are bored on the court.
Sloane and some others do not run for the balls, do not care if they win and not fight at all.
And then you have our wonderful Maria (or Serena and others) who fight like a lioness :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Not surprised that she withdrew. She probably would go through Qualifying if she had to for AO. I cannot imagine her being handed a MDWC. She might get a WC for Brisbane/ hopefully she doesn’t play that Shenzhen again.

You know what ... whatever she plays next I will watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
611 Posts
Not surprised that she withdrew. She probably would go through Qualifying if she had to for AO. I cannot imagine her being handed a MDWC. She might get a WC for Brisbane/ hopefully she doesn’t play that Shenzhen again.

You know what ... whatever she plays next I will watch

Will be very interesting to see who is going to hand her those wild cards now. Does she still sell enough tickets to warrant giving her main draw wild cards? It’s not like she will keep those commitments either as she keeps pulling out and send hordes of fans in disappointment. It is just going to get harder and harder to hang on to playing. I don’t see her going through qualifying because she clearly can not play that many matches in such a condensed period. She will be forced into retirement some time next year most definitely.

·
Registered
563 Posts
As in Linz, Maria will come to Luxembourg for an autograph signing session.

To be honest this is really nice of her to do that. She doesn’t have to but she feels the need to appreciate the organisers and fans. She might be cold to players but she certainly knows the business and who the audience is. Proud of being a Maria Fan.

·
Registered
563 Posts
does anyone know if she will play the exhibition match in Abu Dhabi?

If she was almost ready to play again in Luxembourg, I’d say she’s on the right track to play again. I’m surprised to hear that the match against Annette in Toronto was the issue for the shoulder. That’s only one match after Wimbledon. Unless she injured her shoulder during the match and of course everything else sucks after that. I used to remember her matches and now I just remember her withdrawals

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have not seen this answered. Why would Maria not qualify for a PR for the AO?

For a player to be able to apply for a PR due to injury they need to be out of action by a minimum 6 months if I remember correctly.

Her last match was Sep so won’t have qualified. The best time she could have applied was skipping Wimbledon but “unfortunately” she played Mallorca and Wimbledon and that chance is gone.

·
Registered
52,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's hard to see an expected comeback happening, stranger things did happen, but still...

On another note, how many retirements did she have before this year ? I heard it's a really low number, four or five at most, wasn't ever that big of a fan so I can't really tell, anyway, she already had two more to add up this year and I kinda feel that she would never do that before (I know she was younger, but her injury issues did not appear yesterday, she had them for a decade) so I think it's a testament of that lauded fighting spirit slowly fading away.

And one could not blame her, with all the issues and injuries that haunted her sporting life and a decent success she finds as a businesswoman she may just completely shift to it eventually, I think she'll definitely try her best next season, but if she ain't top 50 at least at the end of it I can't see her pushing for it anymore, especially if the same physical issues resurface.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts