Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=35489

Three players turn down ASB Classic

At least three players sought for January's ASB Classic in Auckland have confirmed that they will not be coming

24 September 2003

Three big name players have been ruled out of competing in January's ASB Tennis Classic in Auckland.

France's Amelie Mauresmo and rising Russian star Maria Sharapova have both signed for a lucrative exhibition event in Hong Kong, the same week as Auckland.

Another Russian, French Open semifinalist Nadia Petrova has indicated she will not be playing here either.

Tournament director Richard Palmer says he is in touch with the two major player agencies Octagon and IMG, and says a number of big names are considering Auckland.

Richard Palmer says the players in contention for Auckland include the likes of one of the Williams sisters, Jennifer Capriati and Daniela Hantuchova. :eek:

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
I doubt either Williams would go to Auckland, isn't that the same week as Gold Coast, Venus has won that before so if she wanted to play that week I think she or serena would go there. And as for Dani well the last two years she has played hopman and gold coast so expect her at either of those. I guess that she is in contention for auckland though means there may not be a slovak team at hopman :sad:

Capriati may play though she has lsot early ins ydney the last few years, so may want another tournament not that only having won match in sydeny affected her at Ao in either 2001 or 2002 :)

·
63,615 Posts
So, that means Amelie was plan to play Auckland? :eek: But she pulled out for the Hong Kong Ladies Challenge? Hmm...

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Yay :bounce: ...finally some good tennis in HK :) ...it's really stupid here coz there aren't any good players :rolleyes: and the TVs don't have any other tornies live exept for the 4 GSes :mad: ...the newspaper don't cover a thing about tennis :( it's SO boring here :fiery: ...

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Well hope some other big players will come as well, but I heard last year that they said they cannot afford Venus or Serena, so I doubt it will chane this year. :(

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Seems to be a real dogfight to sign up players during the first week of the year.

* Hong Kong Ladies Challenge (Non-WTA)
* Hyundai Hopman Cup (ITF)
* Uncle Toby's Hardcourt Championships (Tier 3)
* ASB Classic (Tier 4)

Hong Kong and Hopman Cup always seem to get the stars but I don't envy the tournament organizers when it comes to haggling and persuading.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts