Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it'd be a cool idea to hear what you guys' expectations are for Maria's 2019 season. The one thing that I'd want for her to do in 2019 is to be a factor on the big stage again, that's all. Bar, of course, having her be healthy. My nightmare scenario would be having her retire by the end of 2019 after struggling to get past the 4th round of most of the tournaments she played :tears:.

·
Registered
961 Posts
1.HEALTH. It's the biggest factor of a game. Look at Safarova or Radwanska. And obviously Maria herself. Everything what happened in 2018 season was due to injuries.

2.Grand Slam. That's the only satisfying thing when it comes to Maria's career at this point. After everything she went through she deserves to end her career with at least one more Slam.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Before France, I would like to see her play at least 3 or 4 tournaments in which she reaches the finals, or semi-finals......with her playing increasingly better each round. If so, she and her coach should note any subtle possible reasons, whether it is practice, work on her serve, proper sleep or diet.......those would be good results, and attention should be paid to what produces them.

That would leave her reasonably well prepared for the 3 remaining grand slams.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Just stay injury free for the season.
Good results with inevitably follow.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The forearm/wrist injury has been ongoing since 2015 and I don't think staying injury free is an option at this point. It's how Maria manages it that is important. Obviously she will be playing a reduced schedule and I think Grand Slams will be the obvious focus with a few other select tournaments thrown in.

I'm really not expecting too much different in 2019 but if she can have a good clay season and can build some momentum in Paris, I wouldn't rule her out there.

The most important thing though which will answer many questions about how much longer she plays is if she makes herself available for Fed Cup in February.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Needs more winning matches and trophies. More buttshots of her short skirts in the upcoming photoshoots of her outfits.

Nightmare: Losing Streak and wanting to retire from tennis for good.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just want her to be a top player again. Either it is by winning another grand slam or make it into the top 10, if she does any of those things I would be extremely happy for her.
My worse fear is that she is never going to stay healthy for any extended period of time. It is something that started happening before the drug ban and sadly, it is likely that it will only get worse. So I am bracing myself for that. Of course, if Maria cannot stay healthy there is no chance that she will find her best tennis, because if anyone knows anything about her it is that she needs the reps to stay sharp and keep her nerves under control.

·
Premium Member
4,506 Posts
Wants: A patch of good health
Wishes: See 'wants'
Nightmare scenario: a repeat of this season

Reactions: Mr.Sharapova

·
Registered
961 Posts
Maria herself about her 2019 goals. She said that during her live chat on Sugarpova Instagram account yesterday:

"So many ups and downs in 2018. 2019 is a year of not setting too many expectations, because I did have a lot of goals for 2018 and sometimes they don't evolve as you plan them to. So next year I'm focusing on staying healthy, I have a great team. The most important thing is love what you do. So, as long as I'm doing that in 2019 all will be well."

·
Registered
220 Posts
Top 15 winning 2 titles at any level and performing well throughout the year. Anything more would be great. I would prefer for her to have a good start to the year as she has so many points to defend during the clay season.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Best case scenario: winning the French Open and possibly reaching the top 10 at some point in the year. I'd put her in the top 10 (maybe in position 8-10) of players with the best shot to win RG

Worst case scenario: gets injured again and again, while losing routinely to cut-rate players in early rounds.

My expectation: wins a small title and makes a slam QF (probably the French), while getting injured and losing frequently in early rounds. Essentially, a season very much like 2018 - it's hard to see a big change from what's been established for over a year.

My wishes: irrelevant. What will happen will happen, and our wishes won't change that. One of the things I see a lot on this board is people making predictions with their hearts (wishes) rather than their minds (reality). As for me, I just go based on what the situation dictates, and it dictates that 2019 will be quite a challenge in a WTA with a lot of ambitious up-and-comers who don't fear Maria.

But regardless of desired outcomes, I do hope that she sticks around to help maintain interest in women's tennis. Once the three top slam winners (Serena [23], Venus [7], Sharapova [5]) are gone, it's going to be extremely difficult for anyone else to fill that void. I've seen plenty of matches with quality players (Svitolina, Pliskova, even Halep occasionally) where the crowd is sparse and disinterested. What a shame. At least when Maria's around, you know there's going to be some interest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts