Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of Maria Emilia Salerni? What type of game does she play? She is still very young, but seems to be lacking the consistancy of her fellow peers, such as Daja Bedanova, Hantuchova, Bovina, Krasnoroutksaya, etc. What does the future hold for this former number one junior?

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
i saw a bit of her match against Tulyaganova , and it sseems she hits the ball fairly hard and deep.... i think that what she really needs to work on is consistency , cos she can hit all the shots just needs to do it more often ..

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
She hasn't had any luck in the slams either.
played 4 slam maindraws and each time she's ended up with a seed in 1st rd.

talk about bad luck.

Pitu doesn't have extraordinary power but has alot of good shots which made her how she is.

Its very good in juniors and on the challengers but on the main tour you need something else.

Still I'd expect her to get into the top 50 this year and she should be more than a handful on clay.

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Hmmm, I agree she isn't too powerful. I saw her play Kostanic who rips the ball. She kinda reminded me of Hingis in that she doesn't have that much power much she knows how to play well and keep the pressure on those "power" players.

·
Registered
16,318 Posts
I think she has everything to success. One thing she should change quickly.
And that's her coach!

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
She's got future.

Saw her matches in Fed Cup 2001
Argentina vs Germany.

Salerni played really, really well in her matches.
She's more of clay courter; but it's too early
to see what lies ahead.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
yeah, salerni really has bad luck :(

wimbledon - asv
us open - anke
aussie - iroda

what about roland garros? i dont remember..
and this is because... she always reaches the main draw THRU quali!!!

i'm a HUGE fan of Pitu (Salerni) since I met her in Bahia and I think she has great future. This year she will crack the top 60, for sure :) She's good material.

She lost to Majoli in Bahia 46 64 67. So disappointing... she always loses tough matches or faces a big player early... this way she will never improve her ranking. in bahia, she also reached the main draw thru quali.

I trust you, go Pitu, have a 2002 full of wins!!!!
:bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Sorry, forgot to say:

I don't think she should change her coach. Patricia Tarabini is a very good one, and she also plays doubles with her ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts