Tennis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would it take to get this great player to play again on the Legends tour? As I stated before, I had the great fortune to speak with her briefly after this year's Australian Open final, and she couldn't have been less interested in my questions in this regard. From reading about her- she is so totally devoted to Margaret Court Ministries, and only makes quick appearances at Melbourne and Paris and (sometimes) Wimbledon, but almost never in the United States- the site of many of her greatest triumphs.

· Registered
2,422 Posts
I think Margaret has a higher, more meaningful calling now; tennis is her past not her future, so I very much doubt we'll see her playing anywhere -- unless she simply plays for fun every now and then. I would be curious to know if she still goes out and hits every now and then.

· Registered
9,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jem said:
I think Margaret has a higher, more meaningful calling now; tennis is her past not her future, so I very much doubt we'll see her playing anywhere -- unless she simply plays for fun every now and then. I would be curious to know if she still goes out and hits every now and then.
She actually works with Australian Junior Girls every now and again, but always privately in and around her Perth home. The last player I remember her working with was Rachel McQuillan, but there are probably many more juniors who have benefitted. All the Aussie greats give back to junior tennis- something Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, et.al. could learn from...

· Registered
4,859 Posts
Marg worked with Jenny Byrne at one stage but from the many interviews they do with her at Hopman Cup she is increasingly disillusioned with Aus Tennis in terms of their focus with squads and not individual coaching. She always stresses that if she was brought into squad coaching she wouldn’t have been as successful as she was.

Yes, her religion has definitely taken over her interest in tennis.

Interestingly she says that thru her religion if she knew then what she knew now she would’ve been much more successful particularly at Wimbledon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.