Tennis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from the TV show "Today Tonight" which had a report I saw last year. I'm not sure if it was mentioned here, perhaps the Australian posters missed it. While I don't remember the report word for word I do remember parts of it quite well.

Anyway, the report was on the proposed legislation of lowering the homosexual age of consent in Western Australia, which is higher than the normal age of consent.

A politician lobbying for the new legislation says that Western Australia is "the most homophobic of all the Australian states".

But the proposed legislation is receiving some heavy opposition.

Cut to Margaret Court standing on a stage in front of a large audience. She is introduced as "the greatest player male or female of the 20th century". She addresses the audience by saying "God loves a homosexual but he hates the sin. We are willing to help them overcome their homosexuality." The audience applauds.

Then we go to the story of two sisters both of whom are infertile. One woman says that she was able to get pregnant through IVF treatment but her sister who has a female parter it not allowed any IVF treatment.

Margaret Court says, "It is not right for a child to be raised in an environment like that where it will likely also turn out to be gay. I see families being destroyed." She also says that, "What people do behind closed doors is their business but they shouldn't be allowed to parade their lifestyle in front of me in the street."

As of yet I think the issue is still unresolved.

I have lost all respect for Margaret Court. I know many religious people who do not judge and are supportive of other people's choices. It isn't even about whether or not homosexuality is wrong (which of course it isn't). It's about whether or not gay people should have the same rights as straight people. It's discrimination to have differing ages of consent.

And to think that Billie Jean King still continues to be so nice to Margaret. A couple of years ago the show "This is your life" honoured the life of Margaret Court and Billie recorded a complimentary video message just for the occasion. Even recently Billie has argued that Rod Laver Arena be renamed "Laver Court Arena".

· Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The thing about this issue that I really don't understand is that this is not a debate about homosexuality, it's a political issue about discrimination.

Margaret Court and her supporters are so anti-gay that they are fighting against this new law that grants equal rights! A law making homosexuality illegal isn't that far off.

· Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
My god, I hardly even remember posting this. It seems so long ago. I remember being very disappointed in Margaret though, because before then I really admired her.

I guess this thread reminds me of how much I've grown too, because I wouldn't make an issue about it today. Not that I necessarily feel any different, it's just not worth getting angry about anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.