Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm trying to find which match Hana sat on a line judges' lap. I think it was Wimbledon 84, but don't know which round.

Thanks very much

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Hi,
I'm trying to find which match Hana sat on a line judges' lap. I think it was Wimbledon 84, but don't know which round.

Thanks very much
Yes, 84 on grass, probably Wimbledon
The judge was not complaining LOL

·
Registered
8,254 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
That was the year she finally got on a roll and then started babbling about beating Chris and Martina at will. I saw the beginning in Oakland when she beat Martina and ended here winning streak. Amazing! Then she kept going on the Slims circuit until Wimbledon came ‘round and Chris smacked her down something like one and one. Poor Hana. Had she kept her mouth shut, she might have had a chance, but Chris was out for blood. Good times (Except for Chris’s frizz bomb)!

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
For sure it wasn't in the 84 SF because she is wearing a dress with yellow on the shoulders. On the getty image we can see she wore a dress with blue on the shoulders.
Perhaps it was during a doubles match that she sat on the judge's lap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Slazenger advertsiment shows this certainly wasn't centre court. And yes players do tend to wear the same kit for the whole tournament - did they change for doubles? Maybe this will have to go unsolved for a while

Appreciate your efforts.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The Getty page (post #3) says "Date created: July 01, 1984".

If that is correct, it would have been created on the "middle Sunday". Since there is no play on that day, maybe it was shot the day before and only transmitted/published on Sunday. Or on some other day during the first week of the tournament.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
The Getty page (post #3) says "Date created: July 01, 1984".

If that is correct, it would have been created on the "middle Sunday". Since there is no play on that day, maybe it was shot the day before and only transmitted/published on Sunday. Or on some other day during the first week of the tournament.
In those days obviously the pictures had to be developed later in the day to be possibly published in a newspaper the next day at best. But that date of July 1st or June 30th isn't reliable for it can be a guess from the person who published the picture (perhaps not by the photographer). Getty, the stock photo corporation, may have acquired it years later in a huge batch of pictures, or after they bought a rival stock pictures company, taking for granted the date on the pictures.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Getty, the stock photo corporation, may have acquired it years later in a huge batch of pictures, or after they bought a rival stock pictures company, taking for granted the date on the pictures.
Thanks. Indeed, I just noticed that all the Mandlikova pictures I checked on Getty have a date containing the first day of the month.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
There is indeed an article about her in SI of May 85, but that picture above is not in it

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There is indeed an article about her in SI of May 85, but that picture above is not in it
It is, actually, the article continues on page 79 of the magazine (pp. 85-86 of the vault) and it's there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts