Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quite like having individual threads in this section for these events, there's generally only 4 or 5 who contribute, but it is better keeping 'British' chat on here rather than the threads that Meelis creates - it would look a bit bad if there was a lot of posts on there saying I hope xxx loses so that xxx gets a Wimbledon MDWC, ha.

A few withdrawals today (including Harriet and Katie S - hopefully Nottm related), so the current list is as follows. I think we are at the freeze deadline now, so we won't see many adjustments between now and the qualifying draw. Linette, Diyas and Brengle are the only 3, in additions to the Brits, who can keep the MDWC in house, so there's more chance this will be won by someone who secures a Wimbledon WC:

1 Magda LINETTE (POL) 86
2 Zarina DIYAS (KAZ) 90
3 Madison BRENGLE (USA) 97
4 Heather WATSON (GBR) 105
5 Lin ZHU (CHN) 108
6 Misaki DOI (JPN) 110
7 Anna BLINKOVA (RUS) 120
8 Marie BOUZKOVA (CZE) 121
9 Whitney OSUIGWE (USA) 122
10 Tereza SMITKOVA (CZE) 125
11 Sachia VICKERY (USA) 136
12 Timea BABOS (HUN) 138
13 Monica NICULESCU (ROU) 143
14 Xiyu WANG (CHN) 144
15 Ann LI (USA) 170
16 Kristie AHN (USA) 173
17 Viktoriya TOMOVA (BUL) 174
18 Robin ANDERSON (USA) 177
19 Caroline DOLEHIDE (USA) 201
20 Asia MUHAMMAD (USA) 214
21 (Special Exempt, if needed)
22 (Special Exempt, if needed)

QUALIFYING

1 Kaylah MCPHEE (AUS) 221
2 Myrtille GEORGES (FRA) 232
3 Jamie LOEB (USA) 238
4 Katherine SEBOV (CAN) 245
5 Lizette CABRERA (AUS) 254
6 Katy DUNNE (GBR) 259
7 Ying-Ying DUAN (CHN) 260
8 Maddison INGLIS (AUS) 271
9 Mayo HIBI (JPN) 274
10 Jodie Anna BURRAGE (GBR) 277
11 Urszula RADWANSKA (POL) 279
12 Sabine LISICKI (GER) 299
13 Laura-Ioana PAAR (ROU) 301
14 Gabriella TAYLOR (GBR) 302
15 Natalija KOSTIC (SRB) 304
16 Jana FETT (CRO) 314
17 Maia LUMSDEN (GBR) 322
18 Maria SANCHEZ (USA) 326
19 Quinn GLEASON (USA) 330
20 Emina BEKTAS (USA) 347

I can't see any potential SEs other than Katy at Surbiton and the 2 European W60s. Naomi will be 2 out, but will get in as SE's don't affect those outside of quals. SBG would then be 3rd alt, Alicia 4th, EWS 5th, Tara 6th, and depending on MDWCs / Nottingham and withdrawals, all those will have a great chance of getting in to quals directly. Sam is 8th, Freya 9th (who'll probably end up at Nottingham) and Ella 10th, so we should get a lot more playing next week and the current main draw cut off will be 232 if no SEs, so much weaker than 153 at Surbiton this week.

How do you see the WCs going for here and Nottingham? Really hard to call with all the fitness and injury concerns

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Looks as though Duan was the last into the main draw, so Katy will have got in directly.

The qualie draw went way out into the unranked players, with British players in one of the twelve seeded positions (Sam Murray #11), and ten of the twelve unseeded positions. I don't think wildcards were used, they just gave the places to the next-in-line players who were there.

EWS and Ella Taylor unaccounted for. Maybe EWS got Katy's un-needed WC?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Katy was originally meant to be last in, so it'll be either Duan withdrawing or someone in the main draw (outside of Heather, Dolehide an Niculsecu) withdrawing. As Duan was playing FO dubs final today, I assume it'll be her who withdrew.

A lot of those GB players are obviously making up the numbers and there's a lot of typical 0-6 1-6 type players involved, but it's good that there are a few getting the chance to play. Maybe Emily or Alice can get a Q1 win, or at least compete. Vic Allen and Holly H might have had a bit of joy with better draws (like Ingrid Neel or someone), but they're both in deep, likewise the younger and better Pitak (A), who also has a tough opponent. It looks like those largely making up the numbers have the better draws, which is a bit unfortunate.

Shame Eden Richardson isn't in as she qualified last year and was on the list. Destinee Martins is a reasonable junior as well.

I think EWS has the bonus MDWC as she referenced 'heading up north' on her social media and wasn't in Nottingham. To be honest, as she would have been a Q seed I think I might have rather played quals than receive a MDWC. I know you have to play twice in one day, and the schedule will be tough with the rain, but when you see some of the potential opponents she could have faced, it could have been an easy 4 points for her.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... or Babos, by the same reckoning...
No, because we know that Babos is definitely in the main draw if she wants to play, which guarantees a day off, a Tuesday start, and not playing back to back matches one day later. Duan was 6 out, so take out the 2 SE's, Heather, Monica, and Dolehide and that's Katie sneaking in as the 5th alt (and then the WC used elsewhere). Someone in the 22 direct entries (excluding WCs) may well have withdrawn late and Duan could have sneaked in as well, but it's more likely it'll be Duan just missing out and not wanting to play back to back so soon after reaching a final - a bit like Martincova in Surbiton last week.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
2 Brits into final round of quallies: Samantha Murray, who won the all-British match with Lillian Mould, plus Emily Appleton, who had a good win against 8th seed Quinn Gleason.

They have to play again shortly.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, great win for Emily. Hopefully at least one of those can make the main draw.

The main draw is out and it could have been kinder:

Naomi vs 4) Zhu
Gabi vs Tomova - not too bad, but Tomova did come through W quals last year and did win her R1 match before losing to Serena
Katy vs young Whitney Osuigwe (8)
Alicia B vs Bouzkova (7)
EWS vs Sebov

It's only Diyas, Linette and Brengle who can keep the WC in house here, but tbh, since GB players should get 5 MDWCs now, I'm not as fussed with this or Ilkley going elsewhere. The greedy side of me does want 6 though :devil:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Well, this is by far the weakest ITF draw, and always looked the most likely to be won by a player needing a WC.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
The second quarter now has a Brit in every R1 match. Wonder how many there will be by R2:

(4)Lin Zhu (CHN) v (wc)Naomi Broady (GBR)
(wc)Gabriella Taylor (GBR) v Viktoriya Tomova (BUL)
(Q)Samantha Murray (GBR) v Asia Muhammad (USA)
(7)Marie Bouzkova (CZE) v (wc)Alicia Barnett (GBR)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This 'grass' season has been a bit of a disaster so far. Jodie going over on her ankle last week. Katy retiring after 3 games in Manchester, and Harriet, Katie and particularly Heather losing their best chance of a win in Nottingham.

All that talk for weeks about 'keeping WCs in house', we'll be lucky if we have 5 realistic players to fill those spots, although fingers crossed Katy isn't too bad. Also, if Manchester is indoors throughout, it will be a bit of a farce rewarding a Wimbledon WC to the winner as the whole point is showing you can play on grass.

Wins-wise, it's not been too bad - Katy and Heather did well last week, but with her 'loss' today, Katy is basically the equivalent of winning one match of both events points wise, which looks worse, and who knows if she can play next week. Tara and particularly Sam have done well thus far, but I don't know if it's just me, when they're over 30 (Sam, although Tara does seem much older than 26) and still 400/500, you don't get as much joy as if it was someone much younger like Fran, Emily or even Freya doing well who might have more of a future.

Nowt we can do about the weather though, just hope it's better next week and of course Eastbourne, Wimbledon Qs and the big one.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
It's a real shame about the weather this week. I'm sure ticket sales will have been poor as a result.

I almost went to qualies on Monday afternoon (which used to be on Sunday) but I needed to be positive of play as this isn't a good week for me to be off work. I checked a couple of weather apps that lunchtime which both predicted 90% chance of rain and decided not to bother. As it turned out it didn't rain until after 5pm so I made the wrong call. :rolleyes:

Rest of the week has been a bit disastrous but they're not actually too far behind thanks to the indoor courts. Only doubles matches on there today and no singles at all.

I've actually played on those indoor courts. They're okay but no room in there for spectators and unfortunately the forecast for tomorrow is bad again.

Saturday and Sunday look a little better but still chances of rain. By some miracle they'll get this done, hopefully all outside.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Manchester quarter final line up is complete:

Linette vs Cabrera
Broady vs Murray
Diyas vs Wang X
Brengle vs Sebov

So, the 2 Brits, Wang, Cabrera and Sebov are all in the hunt for Wimbledon WCs, but the top 3 seeds who had qualified for Wimbledon are still there, and Linette and Brengle should be pretty big favourites in their respective matches. Diyas match only lasted 53 mins and she finished a while ago, whereas Wang has just got off the court now after a 2 hour match, so that may favour Diyas.

Ruse (Nottm), Vikhylanstseva and Rybakina (both Rosmalen) are still active in WTA QFs. With Burrage out and Dunne possibly doubtful (as well as Boulter), I'm not too bothered anymore because 5 GB MDWCs would be ample, certainly 6, and I don't really think you could justify 7 anyway. McNally came through quals last week to make the SFs of Surbiton, putting out the 1st and 7th seed (all on grass), so she's probably done the best out of anyone thus far in the grass season if someone had to get an external WC in the initial picks.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Semi finalists confirmed as Linette, Brengle, Diyas and Murray.

Top 3 already in the Wimbledon main draw so this wildcard will either go to Murray or a player of Wimbledon's choosing.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Semi finalists confirmed as Linette, Brengle, Diyas and Murray.

Top 3 already in the Wimbledon main draw so this wildcard will either go to Murray or a player of Wimbledon's choosing.
https://www.tennisforum.com/81527251-post289.html

Just posted similar on that other thread Dodge. Yeah it'll be interesting to see what happens in the semi final matches today (Manchester and Holland). I've said a few times that since the Surbiton WC won't be needed, I'll be content if it's the obvious 4 and Katy taking the GB WCs, along with Swiatek and wouldn't mind if the other 2 went elsewhere.

It would be nice if Sam could take the title, which would potentially be one of the biggest shocks that I can remember, but I also wouldn't mind at all if Rybakina got one. If Jodie was still in contention then I'd have liked at least 1 of this week or next week to stay in house and she join the other 5 and Swiatek (or rather Katy join the other 4 and Jodie), but I personally wouldn't be as fussed if Bains and Lumsden ended up in quals.

Of course, if some of the likely 5 Brits aren't fit (Katie B, Katy) then I wouldn't mind one of those 2 being included just for a bit more home interest, but although GB WCs are WCs for a reason and would be underdogs in most matches at Wimbledon, I'd feel Bains and particularly Lumsden would kind of just be making up the numbers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts