·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a boss.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Expected, if the season was 100% UK grass, Broady could probably have spent the last decade ranked 50-100. Good chance of making the QF and beyond with the opened up draw now.

·
Registered
35,862 Posts
Wow :eek: That's arguably her best win in a couple of years.

It's a shame there isn't a consistent strong of grass/indoor hard court events like the guys have because Naomi would at least have been in the Top 80-110 range for most of her career. There are two indoor WTA events and two French Challengers in October and that's it for the second half of the season. The men have 10 Challengers and four ATP events that are indoors after the US Open, plus an entire indoor season in January-March that the girls don't have.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Both received Wimbledon WCs last year, but have fallen well off the radar this year. LONG LONG way to go, but one is definitely in the QF now, so a very outside chance that one of them can book their ticket via this event - the 4th seed is out of their section of course.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Expected, if the season was 100% UK grass, Broady could probably have spent the last decade ranked 50-100. Good chance of making the QF and beyond with the opened up draw now.
With her 3-26 career win-loss record against top 100 players on grass?! :spit: Let us not attempt that gigantic reach.

Broady IS the opened-up draw for everyone else.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
With her 3-26 career win-loss record against top 100 players on grass?! :spit: Let us not attempt that gigantic reach.

Broady IS the opened-up draw for everyone else.
Honestly, I'm shocked her record is that bad. I've seen her play on grass and she looked a decent level. But maybe I retract my statement.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Honestly, I'm shocked her record is that bad. I've seen her play on grass and she looked a decent level. But maybe I retract my statement.
Some things work very well for her on grass.. Her booming flat serve and flat groundstrokes. Also, she does like to slice, but she kind of chips at the ball more than anything. But grass can cause problems too in terms of bending down low to hit her shots.

Her best surface are fast indoor hard courts/carpet. She won her biggest title at 100k Midland and made the final the following year.

I have a feeling Naomi will defeat Gabi. Naomi is quite emotionally invested in this tournament, as it's the closest thing she has to a home tournament and often her family come to watch her play.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I have a feeling Naomi will defeat Gabi. Naomi is quite emotionally invested in this tournament, as it's the closest thing she has to a home tournament and often her family come to watch her play.
This is not necessarily a good thing though.I have watched her spontaneously combust a couple of times at Eastbourne over the years.:eek:h:

But hopefully she does well - she has given the tournament a lot of support.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
This is not necessarily a good thing though.I have watched her spontaneously combust a couple of times at Eastbourne over the years.:eek:h:

But hopefully she does well - she has given the tournament a lot of support.
For some players it spurs them on.. JoKo often plays well at Eastbourne, even when she struggled in Fed Cup and other UK events. But for Naomi, not so much...she's never played very well in UK events..She seems to love US events though.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Wasn't this played indoors? So not even a grass win for Broady.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Just comfortably beat her compatriot Gabi Taylor pretty comfortably in round 2 (indoors), with some pretty intimidating serving stats - 15 aces, 1 double fault, 83% points won on first serve and only dropped 11 points on serve in her 7 games. If the rain stays, and she serves like that, she'll actually be hard to beat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts