Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MAN HELD AFTER SHOOTING

Officers have arrested a suspect in connection with the shooting of the sister of tennis stars Venus and Serena Williams.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office arrested the man following the slaying of Yetunde Price, 31.

Sheriff's deputy Richard Pena named the suspect as Aaron Michael Hammer, 24, and said he had been remanded in custody.

Ms Price was in a car in the LA suburb of Compton when a gunman opened fire after an apparent confrontation.

Police named the man in the car with Ms Price at the time of the shooting as Richard Wormley, 28.

Sheriff's deputy William Spear told Sky News that Wormley was on "active parole" at the time of the killing and had also been arrested on charges of violating the terms of his release.

"Wormley drove the victim to a relatives' house in Long Beach and called the emergency services," he said

He would not say why Ms Price, elder sister to the Williams sister, had been in Compton when shot.

A statement issued by the family before the arrest said: "We are extremely shocked, saddened and devastated by the shooting death of our beloved Yetunde.

"Yetunde was a loving mother, daughter, sister and friend.

"As the oldest sibling and daughter, it was Yetunde who provided the stability to our family. She was our nucleus and our rock."

Ms Price - who worked as a personal assistant to her sporting sisters - had three children, Jair, Justus and Jeffrey.

She was also a registered nurse and a business management major.

Last Updated: 09:34 UK, Monday September 15, 2003

·
Keeper of Secrets
9,040 Posts
Good - I hope they got the right man and he gets what he deserves!

I don't believe in Capital Punishment, but when I think of Yetunde's kids........

Her kids were at this year's AusOpen. Her little girl Justice wass skipping with Serena during practice session. If you watch the semis- all 3 are in the stands.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
why did the driver take her to Long Beach?? "Active parole"? Give a @##$%^ break!!
Poor Yetunde, God Bless her kids. I'm sure the Williams family will take care of them now

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wonder if she would have lived if he had taken her straight to the hospital or if he had called the police on the scene? Why would he drive her all they way to a house in Long Beach if she had been shot? This sounds very suspect to me. It is a shame that this had to happen. That guy she was with should go up on charges for not taking her straight to the hospital too.

·
double-dog daredevil
11,675 Posts
I don't know - what's normal behavior when someone sitting next to you gets shot? Me, I just might panic my ass off.

·
Registered
287 Posts
griffin said:
I don't know - what's normal behavior when someone sitting next to you gets shot? Me, I just might panic my ass off.

Yeah but if this guy had the wits about him to drive her to Long Beach he could have called an ambulance or at least taken her straight to the hospital. That time that he spent driving her to Long Beach and waiting for an ambulance to come once he got there could have been better served getting her the medical attention that she needed,

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
48,281 Posts
She was shot with multiple round from an AK-47. That doesn't leave much hope no matter if she was next door to a hospital. The ammunition is designed to destroy, not injure. So, her chances probably were not very good either way.

But yes to me (working in Law Enforcement) him leaving the scene is suspect. Probably can be explained that he (a) panicked and/or (b) didn't want his parole revoked and sent back up.

I hope anyone who had a part in this gets sees the full extent of punishment that the laws in California allow.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
griffin said:
Normal behavior is to get the person help. Long Beach is quite a distance from the crime scene. Of course, you would be paniced. But if you were fautless yourself, in your panic you would think about getting immediate help for some one who was bleeding right next to you.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Seles said:
She was shot with multiple round from an AK-47. That doesn't leave much hope no matter if she was next door to a hospital. The ammunition is designed to destroy, not injure. So, her chances probably were not very good either way.

But yes to me (working in Law Enforcement) him leaving the scene is suspect. Probably can be explained that he (a) panicked and/or (b) didn't want his parole revoked and sent back up.

I hope anyone who had a part in this gets sees the full extent of punishment that the laws in California allow.
I understand leaving the scene when someone is shooting at you. But, I don't get driving miles and miles to another community. I think paniced because he was on parole is the right answer.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Just heard they arrested the driver. I believe he was the intended victim, and has nothing to do with V&S. The driver left because he is guilty of something. Poor Yetunde was at the wrong place at the wrong time :sad:

·
Registered
287 Posts
That is so sad. That makes it even worse, and that POS wouldn't even take her to the hospital. I wonder if he had something to do with it because it is pretty strange that he wasn't even shot. If they were using an assult rifle, be should have at least been hit once.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
robrich said:
Just heard they arrested the driver. I believe he was the intended victim, and has nothing to do with V&S. The driver left because he is guilty of something. Poor Yetunde was at the wrong place at the wrong time :sad:
I think so too.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
starr, if what you are saying is true, I wonder if she knew he was going to get drugs?

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Who knows? Maybe the shooter will have a story that enlightens us. I was just talking to another woman who does the same sort of work that I do (quasi law enforcement) and we were sighing and saying we wished we had a buck for every woman who messes up her life because she gets involved with the wrong man.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
It's completely believable that Yetunde did not know what was going on with the guy who was driving. I know a woman who is under investigation now because her gangster boyfriend put all of things, credit cards, storage units, etc. She could get TEN YEARS!! for falling for a jerk :mad:

·
Registered
773 Posts
"I didn't do it, he did."

It isn't all "mens fault". I am not talking about Yetunde here at all, but about the poor innocent women some of your are referring to. I'm not convinced men are responsible for getting nearly as many innocent women in trouble as women claim. Not, at least, unless women are not responsible for their own actions.

Not all those women who fell for jerks are so innocent. Merchandise comes from stores. It comes in the appropriate boxes with receipts. It's paid for by visible earnings from identifiable jobs. So is entertainment and gifts and rent and so on. Cars don't get parked in the average person's garage and get painted with the garage door down and then disappear, never to be seen again. Unusual things don't get stored in most people's homes or apartments with no explanation. Most women don't hand off unidentifiable packages. Most women find out the last name of their guy's friends and don't watch strangers come and go without finding out what is going on. When most women wonder why the hell they're headed some direction or why they're waiting, then they find out why. Most women don't pass on messages they don't understand. I think those women do understand.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.