Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
Martha was rusty but she fought very well down 5-6* and set points in the TB.
But this might not cut it if she plays Kerber who wants her.wig

Edit: Also notice the handshake, Maria ran up to Kuzmova and saying please to ballboys marketing at it's best :hysteric:

·
Premium Member
4,857 Posts
Re: Mallorca R1 The Return of Martha Sharapova def. Kuzmova 7-6(8) 6-0

First grass win since the 2015 Wimbledon quarters :cheer: :spit:

She played better than I was expecting tbh. Messy first set but only dropped 6 (?) points in the second.

·
Registered
42,270 Posts

Nose Stripova, After a tight first set she ran away with it, hitting the ball quite hard as well,

16 Winners 13 Unforced.

Kuzmova's mentality has to be questioned. After having a set point, she mentally checked out and lost 11 points in a row quickly.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Well, well, well. Result NEVER in doubt. Next up is the one she has been craving: Kerber.

·
Milk and honey
4,034 Posts

Mashenka :crying2: solid top 50 win to start her comeback. Getting matches on grass to be match tough and a level or two higher in the US hard is a good decision, and every match win helps. First set was a mess, both hitting some great shots and then some awful ones. Maria's serving was a hot MESS but she found it just in time to snatch the breaker, and then Kuzmova pretty much gave up.

Maria relaxed a lot though once she secured that first set and did play well in the second :hearts: Kerber next :unsure: bit of a nightmare match for her given she's rusty af and consistency/fitness will be her two biggest weaknesses (not ideal against Kerber), but at least a match where she has nothing to lose going into it :)

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Martha was rusty but she fought very well down 5-6* and set points in the TB.
But this might not cut it if she plays Kerber who wants her.wig
Maria wants Kerber's wig waaaaay more. She is dying to get Kerber in her sights, Beatrix Kiddo style.

Reactions: xPaintTheLines

·
Premium Member
20,446 Posts

Looking forward to R2 blockbuster :drool:

Reactions: WhistleCleaner

·
Registered
558 Posts

Is Maria's newest sponsor breath right strips? Lol
But in all seriousness, that was better than I was expecting from Masha.
Kerber is an unknown quantity when it comes to form at the moment as well so here's to hoping Maria can keep it close and maybe sneak a win!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts

Maria losing to Kerber on grass is NID, I expect the same scoreline like in AO 2018.

But great start for Masha!

On the other hand, how is Kuzmova in Top 50 for god sake? The tour really sucks if these young girls cannot beat old, slow and serveless Maria.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

I'm still shoked how she won first set winning every point on serve when she was down :lol:

At least she played so much better than last year in Wimbledon. So cute with that dress :hearts:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Maria losing to Kerber on grass is NID, I expect the same scoreline like in AO 2018.

But great start for Masha!

On the other hand, how is Kuzmova in Top 50 for god sake? The tour really sucks if these young girls cannot beat old, slow and serveless Maria.
She might be older but she is definitely not slow or serveless. Her serve is working when needed. Kumova just gave up.

·
Registered
8,857 Posts

Nice first match back from GrandMartha! Serve is a hot mess, but just getting matches before Wimby is important.

Y'all need to calm about the Kerber meeting, she hasn't even started her match yet... I assume it'll be a Kerb/Masha meeting, but who knows...

·
King
28,896 Posts

I only seen a couple of games for this, and despite Kuzmova being absolutely shite, and playing as though it was her first pro match on grass, Maria played much better than expected considering she hasn’t picked up a racket for a large chunk of the year, and I guess coming to Mallorca 1.5 weeks early, with the surface being a little more harcourt friendly vs. the UK grass event helped a ton.

The only way for her (Maria) to be successful in grass is to play all-out first strike tennis, because whenever the rally starts she struggles with the skidding bounces, moving to sharp angles, and anything that comes flat and deep on either wing.

·
Registered
115,478 Posts

Kuzmova had her chances in set 1. Then showed no fight at all
Sharapova/Kerber won 8 majors, all of them twice combined

·
Registered
703 Posts

Let's not over-react here, shall we? Sharapova had no business winning the first set. After that, Kuzmova basically quit. Imagine winning 6 points in a set against washed up Sharapova who had not played for 5 months.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts

Kuzmova :sad:
She seems like a very sweet woman.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts