Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Also, watching the match v. Kuzmova again. I really believe that if she had confirmed this early break, Kuzmova would fade away even quicker.

One more thing - her topspin was not the most problematic thing here IMO - it was the direction of her shots. Kuzmova is not exactly great mover, and yet she wasn't frequently stretched, which enabled her to dictate IMO.

·
Registered
52,979 Posts

·
Registered
52,979 Posts

·
On the bright side, she only lost 1 match against Kerber under Hoggy. She lost every match against Kerber under Sven :lol:

·
Someone said in the WWW thread that Maria said for the first time in years her shoulder is completely pain-free. Can someone confirm if she really said this?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

·
-Team Yastremska-
3,203 Posts
Expected ownage :lol:

I doubt she can do any damage to any seeds in London so need a bit of luck with the draw to get one win there. :eek:

·
Awful match. Very little intensity, hardly any come ons, panicked looks, and just didn't look like she had a clue what to do out there from the very first point. Those weird slices she'd either hit (for no reason) into the net or into the stands :lol: Kerber on the other hand was cool as a cucumber, hitting winners for fun and had a nice practice session for her match tomorrow.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yeah she is rusty as hell. It only gave Kerber more confidence as she only had 5 unforced errors because she was just waiting until Maria missed the ball first. Maria hit some good shots, but overall way too erratic, and bad shot selection when she came to the net. The serve looks as unreliable as ever, and the ROS was better, but it didn't have as much sting as it could. I am not disappointed because I expected this. Kerber is a tough matchup for her anyway, and it's only her second match back, on grass, a surface she doesn't like. Wimbledon will probably be more of the same. She is going to have to focus on having a good summer hard court season. Based on what she showed, she has a lot of work to do, and all the progress she made at the AO is all gone. Back to square 1. Please no more injuries.

·
CGS
7,579 Posts
Meh. She lost it right from the beginning, being broken to love and then wasting 3 BPs to start the match. Typical Maria. Only positive are that her serving was not too bad and she actually hit some few good grass shots imo, not her usual topspin power pushing that I always hate to see whenever she steps on grass in the last few years. But she was so unclutch. I feel like she never took her 1st or 2nd GPs and BPs. Whereas Kerber’s shots just hugged the baseline too much that it’s god damn annoying. Always right in the basefuckingline. And she took all her chances ofc. She was just being her usual annoying self as we all know. And Maria is not going far with this draw anw.

I don’t feel too bad about the loss itself, just hate it coz it’s to Kerber. It’s her first event after a long while, on grass, against the defending Wimbledon champion. I will not be too harsh and give her a pass this time. And at least she showed a bit of fight, something we could not see in that embarrassing Melbourne loss where she lost before even walking into the court. Onto Wimbledon. Hope she could have an extremely kind draw, something like Serena’s last year would be nice :rolleyes:

61 - 80 of 114 Posts