Tennis Forum banner
1441 - 1460 of 1505 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Go Maja! Very good turnaround after a very tense first set. I was hoping to see her drop/lob Coco and it came on a huge point. I'd still like to see Maja go after a forehand when she gets the time. Maybe in the third she can really loosen up her groundies

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
One set shootout! Jazda, Maja!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Maja showed some great adjustments as the match went on. After winning only 3 return points in the 1st set, she took a very deep return position and started drawing more 2nd serves as Coco was baited into aiming for the corners. Once the rallies started happening, Maja started to mix in the dropshot and a bit more slice. She was able to win 8 second serve return points in the 2nd
And then in the decider, Maja really had a better feel for Coco's serve. She was mixing up her return positions, even shading over when Coco tossed the ball. 8 points won on first serve returns, 10 points won on second serve returns.
What a satisfying win, especially after Coco called her a "pathetic person" for making a legitimate play at net. Vandeweghe also said something about karma after she won the next point of that game... and I would totally agree that karma is what we saw to end the match.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
No to mamy pięć graczek w turnieju głównym, bo Kawa też wygrała. Gratulacje!
Czy zdarzyło się dotychczas, by 5 Polek grało w turnieju głównym Wimbledonu?
Nie, wcześniej najwyżej 4 (Aga, Ula, Piterunia i Paula Kania), tak więc mamy rekord pod względem pań w drabince głównej, jak również, z tego co widziałam na twitterze, wyrównany rekord pod względem ilości singlistów w MD - 7 (Iga, Magda, Magdalena, Kasia, Maja + Hubert i Kamil)

Edit: Maja uploaded memorabilia gift she recieved from Wimbledon 😍
Purple Plant Rectangle Grass Font

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
Maja showed some great adjustments as the match went on. After winning only 3 return points in the 1st set, she took a very deep return position and started drawing more 2nd serves as Coco was baited into aiming for the corners. Once the rallies started happening, Maja started to mix in the dropshot and a bit more slice. She was able to win 8 second serve return points in the 2nd
And then in the decider, Maja really had a better feel for Coco's serve. She was mixing up her return positions, even shading over when Coco tossed the ball. 8 points won on first serve returns, 10 points won on second serve returns.
What a satisfying win, especially after Coco called her a "pathetic person" for making a legitimate play at net. Vandeweghe also said something about karma after she won the next point of that game... and I would totally agree that karma is what we saw to end the match.
it was one of her plans from the beginning, she searched for the correct place for the return in the set 1. the key was mental fortitude, sticking to game discipline and plan from point 1 to mp and a humble play today.

Photograph World Field house Sports equipment Player

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
In more mundane news, Maja is MDO for Bastad and Contrexeville, and 5th in the MD of Amstelveen. Hopefully she’ll be otherwise occupied that week😉
The week of July 11, she entered Rome 60k+H, Liepaja 60k, and Aschaffenburg 25k. No entries into any WTA events that week.

I wonder how many places she’ll rise in the rankings post Wimbledon, after the points from all the players in her tier drop away. My guess would be 5-7 spots.

1441 - 1460 of 1505 Posts