Tennis Forum banner
1421 - 1440 of 1505 Posts

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I think Maja has a decent draw - 3 matches is a lot but I really hope she can make it through the qualifying!

·
Registered
13,705 Posts
I think Maja has a decent draw - 3 matches is a lot but I really hope she can make it through the qualifying!
Hope may be all that we have, because having the fast-improving Vandeweghe as second seed makes this a very tough section. I can't see McDonald, Cavalle-Reimers or Vismane being any threat at all to her (but hopefully I'm wrong, and one of them takes her out). I'd like to think that Maja can get past Bolsova and (probably) Cadantu-Ignatik. If she can do that her confidence should be sky high, because I honestly can't see her losing to anyone in the top half of this group except Vandeweghe.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Must feel good to get the monkey off of her back.
Who the hell was coughing and blowing their nose right next to the mic for the last two hours? I hope they're not at Maja's next match.
Full marks to Maja for pulling her game together when it mattered!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Chwalinska v Cadantu is scheduled last on court 8.
Alexandra has a dismal 2-13 record on grass, though many of those losses have been to solid players.
I didn't realize that Maja is currently ranked higher than Alex.

🎶Ella McDonald almost knocked C-O-C-O out. 🎶
But Vandeweghe still looms large in the draw.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cadantu is a dream second round opponent, let's see how it goes.

Vandeweghe's movement is suspect, she spent last 12 months around the 150 mark, the comeback is definitely unsuccesful, if Maja makes enough return blocks and Colleen has to bend her knees all the time it will be interesting, but let's see if that match happens.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
Dream opponent for 2nd round and the way Coco struggled against unranked WC suggests she might not even get into final qualies round.
Not getting my hopes up but there's a realistic chance of qualifying. But first - Candatu!

·
Registered
13,705 Posts
I was annoyed because I didn't see the court change until after they had started the second set, and was keeping half an eye on the match on the original court because I was watching other matches at the same time. It was still a good win, and I'm sure that Maja will be happy for a decent workout to get used to this particular surface. Bolsova is another one of these annoying grunters, and what's more annoying is that, like Potapova, she turns it on and off. At least, though, she doesn't do a Trevisan and scream on cream-puff drop shots.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Cadantu with the sus MTO. She called it when Maja was up 40-0 when serving at 4-2.
Hopefully this doesn't ice Maja out. She's hitting the ball clean as a whistle today.
The conditions are breezy, but nothing like her last match in Ilkley. Maja's been really upping the racquet head speed to hit into the wind, and the net clearance on her slice doesn't seem to be affected by the conditions too much.

And these random grunts by Cadantu, my goodness. It's actually making me laugh. Stefanini and Jeanjean aren't exactly keeping mum on the next court, either.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
This has turned into a grindfest on the grass. I'm not looking forward to watching another set of Cadantu using every form of gamesmanship in the book.
They don't even get new balls for another 5 games. I hope they can finish the match before dark. edit: oh wait, it's only 7:!5 over there... nvrmind

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
It took 3 hours but she's into the FQR!
I'm not sure why Maja decided to grind from the baseline in that 2nd set. Cadantu was able to hit herself into a rhythm with that style of play. Anyways, good riddance to one of the most annoying players i've ever had the displeasure of watching.

Tmrw's match goes NB 12:30pm on Court 11. It should be on the Youtube livestream with all the trimmings. I hope Maja can recover well enough to play her very best!

·
Registered
Maja Chwalińska❤️
347 Posts
It took 3 hours but she's into the FQR!
I'm not sure why Maja decided to grind from the baseline in that 2nd set. Cadantu was able to hit herself into a rhythm with that style of play. Anyways, good riddance to one of the most annoying players i've ever had the displeasure of watching.

Tmrw's match goes NB 12:30pm on Court 11. It should be on the Youtube livestream with all the trimmings. I hope Maja can recover well enough to play her very best!
great hope he will regenerate by tomorrow.
I wholeheartedly believe that she will make it to the main stage of Wimbledon.

·
Registered
13,705 Posts
Cadantu with the sus MTO. She called it when Maja was up 40-0 when serving at 4-2.
Hopefully this doesn't ice Maja out. She's hitting the ball clean as a whistle today.
Maybe, but at least she didn't take it until the change of ends.
And these random grunts by Cadantu, my goodness. It's actually making me laugh. Stefanini and Jeanjean aren't exactly keeping mum on the next court, either.
Another Potapova. I'll grunt when I feel like it, but I'll keep quiet for some of the time to throw my opponent off. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Maybe, but at least she didn't take it until the change of ends.

Another Potapova. I'll grunt when I feel like it, but I'll keep quiet for some of the time to throw my opponent off. :LOL:
Oh, I guess I misspoke there. Alex called for the trainer while Maja was on the verge of getting to 5 games. Yeah, an immediate stoppage of play and MTO is way shadier of a move if it's merely a stalling tactic.

I'm not usually one to complain about grunting, or even selective grunting. But Cadantu has about 10 variations of grunts, and she will even alternate between them during individual points.

·
Registered
13,705 Posts
You can see how tired they were both getting by the end, when they both let winners go that they would have run after even late in the second set. You only have to look at the stats for the first and last sets, because they were both 6-2, yet the first took 53 minutes (16 rallies of 10 shots or more) and the last "only" 32 minutes (down to 8 rallies of 10 shots or more after 28 :eek: of them in the second set). Not surprising that the second set took an hour and 20 minutes of actual play - and they didn't even get to a tie-break! The longest game was the sixth in the first set (10 minutes 52 seconds). It was the only one that got to five deuces.

The longest rally was actually on the first point of the very last game (29 shots), but there were three 26s which were all of far higher quality. The first was the second point in 2nd game, but the best of the match was a toss-up between the second point of game 5 in the second set and the last point of the 10th game, where Maja broke back to 5-5. There were plenty of others that I marked as "fantastic," but I won't bore you with the list!

Here are the stats, anyway. My stats have one more winner to Cadantu than in the official data, but I also have quite a few more unforced errors for both players. I must have been judging them a bit more harshly than whoever was pushing IBM's buttons.

Maja Chwalinska
6-2, 5-7, 6-2 (3 hours 0 minutes)
Alexandra Cadantu-Ignatik
66 / 90 (73%)
First serves in play​
76 / 108 (70%)
40 / 66 (61%)
First serve points won​
38 / 76 (50%)
9 / 24 (38%)
Second serve points won​
13 / 32 (41%)
Aces​
Double faults​
40 (24 / 16)
Winners (forehand / backhand)​
36 (22 / 14)
9 (3 / 6)
Forced errors (forehand / backhand)​
14 (10 / 4)
47 (28 / 19)
Unforced errors (forehand / backhand)​
52 (22 / 30)
9 / 20 (45%)
Break points won​
6 / 9 (67%)
TOTAL POINTS WON

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Coco has a 63-29 record on grass, an impressive 68%
Her career record vs lefties is less inspiring, 16-34 for 32%

Colleen has typically had trouble with the craftier players. She went 2-5 vs Aga, 0-4 vs Rybarikova, 1-2 vs Strycova, and 2-2 vs Flipkens.

Coco has been hitting her share of aces in Roehampton, but they've come with a lot of double faults. As Spolem mentioned already, Maja getting her returns in play will be so important. Ideally, she'll be able to get a feel for those chip returns from the baseline, but Coco has good disguise on her toss and that kmph makes things tough.

I believe that Maja can pull off the upset on Thursday, if the moment doesn't melt her game away. After all, it wouldn't be the first time that Maja has beaten an American named Coco at Wimbledon.

·
Registered
48 Posts
On a side note, prize money for Q3 is $40,119 that's basically 1/4th of Maja's career earnings so far and more than she earned all year. Not bad for two days of work.

Agreed on everything what was said about the match with Coco. If Maja stops MULLARKEY VANDEWEGHE from playing one-two punch tennis and manages to extend rallies we'll gonna have a match on our hands and I'm fairly optimistic about the outcome if that happens. Wonder if Coco will serve and volley today or try to come the net early after a big shot on Maja's serve and what will happen then. We'll see. I'm excited and took a day off from work for this.

1421 - 1440 of 1505 Posts