Tennis Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
A very welcome return to form for Maia who has reached the final in Shrewsbury. She's recorded some great wins this week and made up for the shocking set of 1st round results on the whole.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Another British 25k final, beating Barbara Haas on the way.

Perhaps the only issue is that she isn't doing it outside of the UK, but I still think there's a lot of promise here. She's a full time uni student and ranked inside the top 400, not bad at all.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Nicey nicey.

Maia's going to be one of the winners from the transition tour ranking changes. Most of her points are from 25K and above, and this week helps, replacing her $15K Sunderland title this time last year.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Front page of the ITF site

"I was a little bit fatigued, but I just pushed through it," Lumsden shared after her win. "It's the last match, and when it's an occasion like this you just have to leave it all out there."

The 20-year-old played seven matches in total to claim the trophy, and dropped only two sets en route.

"It's been an amazing tournament," she enthused. "If you'd told me this would happen at the beginning of the week I'd obviously have been very happy. I've just had to take one match at a time, and I'm really pleased to get through a tough three-setter today."

Ranked world no. 376 at the time of her triumph, Lumsden will end the year at a career-high ranking. The 20-year-old has been encouraged by the progress of her British peers.

"I've known a lot of them since we were really young, and I saw them play at Wimbledon this year," Lumsden said. "I guess it inspired me to hopefully do that one day, as well."

She added: "My next goal is to keep trying to move my ranking up so that I can get into Grand Slam qualifying."

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
She ended 2017 ranked 584, and is 314 on the live rankings, so that's an impressive rise, and a great way to cap the year.

Hope she can continue on up, and be in the shake-up for Wimby MDWCs next year.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Is Nottingham Maia's WTA main draw debut?
I think so. Onward and upward. Just imagine if she beats Caroline Garcia.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Unlikely, clearly.

She had a very lucky 1st round draw. Moore is obviously not a pushover on grass, but still, Maia will have known she stood a decent chance.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts