Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible if Madrid couldn't be held, if they did what they are doing in the U.S.A, play the lead up event at Roland Garos, as Cinci is being played in N.Y.
It would be a great test run for the French Open, at least you would get the players there earlier.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible if Madrid couldn't be held, if they did what they are doing in the U.S.A, play the lead up event at Roland Garos, as Cinci is being played in N.Y.
It would be a great test run for the French Open, at least you would get the players there earlier.
Easy enough save for financial implications. USTA owns the Cincy tourney so it is very easy. It is not the same with Madrid/RG

·
Registered
37,762 Posts
Is there one? (That's a serious question, by the way). Barcelona would appear to be out, and I doubt that any other cities would have the facilities to host a combined tournament of this size.

Perhaps some of our Spanish members could chime in here - @spiceboy, @Cindy and Kate and @Sammo for starters.
No I think you're right, I can't think of any other Spanish city (other than Barcelona) that would have facilities for a tournament of this level.

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
I said it in the other thread but I do find it interesting that Nadal suddenly signed up for the US tournaments, instead of putting all his eggs in the 'clay' basket. I wonder if he knows how precarious the situation is and is expecting cancellations here and there for the Euro clay events.

Of course i'm hoping for the best for the tournament but safety comes first and at least with Tiriac at the helm this one isn't as likely to go bankrupt lol...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I said it in the other thread but I do find it interesting that Nadal suddenly signed up for the US tournaments, instead of putting all his eggs in the 'clay' basket. I wonder if he knows how precarious the situation is and is expecting cancellations here and there for the Euro clay events.

Of course i'm hoping for the best for the tournament but safety comes first and at least with Tiriac at the helm this one isn't as likely to go bankrupt lol...
That would really put him in the "know" because the situation in the US is 10x worse than in Europe....and the US swinger is very much more near to starting than the Europe swing.

·
Registered
15,186 Posts
No wonder it is is uncertain:

Madrid is not far from the big bad resurgent hotspots in the country. But as of right now the city itself is low and safe. And if the numbers stay that way then the tournament can go ahead.

·
Registered
8,412 Posts
That would really put him in the "know" because the situation in the US is 10x worse than in Europe....and the US swinger is very much more near to starting than the Europe swing.
I'm aware of how terrible the situation in the US is. But the events are sooner and the courts are almost done being surfaced. It's also 4 consecutive weeks in the one city, for his schedule. My thought (which again is complete conjecture) is that perhaps Rafa felt there was a greater likelihood of some of the European tournaments being cancelled.

It's unlike him to play on hard IMMEDIATELY before clay (in fact he's skipped Miami the past two years to get his body ready for clay earlier, in 2018 he skipped IW too to get straight on clay after the Aussie swing), and he originally expressed his disinterest with coming to the US in the middle of their crisis just to play the US Open. Normally he likes to get a lot of clay matches going into the French Open, where of course he is the expected frontrunner. It's the fact that his schedule suddenly prioritised the hard courts and US Open that makes me think perhaps he doesn't have as much faith as he normally would in some of the clay events going ahead.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts

“We will comply to all the rules of health safety set by the local health authorities,” Tiriac says.
“In light of the increase of COVID-19 cases in the city of Madrid, the Ministry of Public Health issued to the tournament director, Feliciano Lopez, as advice not to hold the Mutua Madrid Open in September due to health risks.
“For this reason, we are for the moment collaborating closely with ATP, WTA, and local authorities to assess the situation and will come to a final decision as soon as possible.
“We will work closely with them to see what the safest way we can organise the event as the deadline gets closer.”

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
There was also recent news that Rome will be played behind closed doors, although the tournament directors are trying to fight the decision so they can have 17,000 fans on-site every day during the tournament.

Personally, I just want to know what the plan is if Madrid is canceled because players definitely need more than one clay warmup.

Tennis is just a frustrating sport to be a fan of at the moment. A global pandemic requires you to think outside of the box in order to have sports return without interruption. The most thinking anyone in tennis did was with regards to testing, masks, and finally forcing players to handle their sweaty towels. Obviously, that's important but isn't going to ensure hardworking players don't miss out on a whole year of their peak earning potential.

They really just scheduled massive events back to back without any concern for the players' health or the looming prospect of mandatory two-week quarantines (which, you know, has been a thing since March) and said: "my work here is done."

It would be funny if fans and players weren't missing out on $$$ and opportunities to win big titles, and instead had to be forced to play in/watch weird exhibitions where the novelty has already worn off. I've felt this way for months but in all this time with no tennis, tournaments being cancelled, nobody really willing to have the sport return... the time could have been spent rethinking the tours, and like, getting rid of all the egos and bad leadership that permeates the sport.

But sure, umm, pray tell Italian Tennis Federation and Roland Garros how we're going to have tens of thousands of fans watching tennis next month.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Personally, I just want to know what the plan is if Madrid is canceled because players definitely need more than one clay warmup.
It is what it is. I don't think you really need more warm-up events on clay than you do on hard. And 1 warm-up event is a hell of a lot better than zero... the removal of Madrid would merely put USO and FO on equal footing (a GS preceded by 1 Premier). But any talk about the clay season is putting the cart before the horse, we've got to have the USO happen first.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
No I think you're right, I can't think of any other Spanish city (other than Barcelona) that would have facilities for a tournament of this level.
Valencia?

·
Registered
37,762 Posts
Valencia?
Yeah I thought about it too but I don't think the facilities would be large enough for a combined Masters/Premier 5 tournament.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
There was also recent news that Rome will be played behind closed doors, although the tournament directors are trying to fight the decision so they can have 17,000 fans on-site every day during the tournament.

Tennis is just a frustrating sport to be a fan of at the moment. A global pandemic requires you to think outside of the box in order to have sports return without interruption. The most thinking anyone in tennis did was with regards to testing, masks, and finally forcing players to handle their sweaty towels. Obviously, that's important but isn't going to ensure hardworking players don't miss out on a whole year of their peak earning potential.

They really just scheduled massive events back to back without any concern for the players' health or the looming prospect of mandatory two-week quarantines (which, you know, has been a thing since March) and said: "my work here is done."

It would be funny if fans and players weren't missing out on $$$ and opportunities to win big titles, and instead had to be forced to play in/watch weird exhibitions where the novelty has already worn off. I've felt this way for months but in all this time with no tennis, tournaments being cancelled, nobody really willing to have the sport return... the time could have been spent rethinking the tours, and like, getting rid of all the egos and bad leadership that permeates the sport.

But sure, umm, pray tell Italian Tennis Federation and Roland Garros how we're going to have tens of thousands of fans watching tennis next month.
How about this? One venue like a league for all other smaller events? Maybe in Prague or Berlin where you get clay, hard, grass. The coach seems to be bitter these days.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts