Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1877945

Following a No. 1 debut in the U.K., Madonna's "American Life" opens on top of The Billboard 200. The Maverick/Warner Bros. album sold 241,000 copies in the U.S. in its first week, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and is the only set on the big chart to have sold more than 200,000 copies.

Nonetheless, "American Life" fell short of the 420,000 copies sold by Madonna's 2000 effort, "Music," in its first week. Incidentally, that set was the artist's strongest debut week since SoundScan was initiated in 1991.

"American Life" has an easy lead over 50 Cent's "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" (Shady/Interscope), which rebounds 5-2 on the chart this week despite a 31% dip in sales to 142,000 copies. Last week, 50 Cent's CD/DVD hybrid "The New Breed" entered at No. 2, but it falls to No. 10 in its sophomore week on a 69% slide to sales of 76,000 copies. "Get Rich" and "The New Breed" are No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.

In a slow week for releases, only two albums land inside the top-20 of The Billboard 200, while the other 18 each saw a drop in sales. Last week's No. 1, Kelly Clarkson's RCA debut "Thankful," slips to No. 3 in its second week. Sales of the set were down 55% to 134,000 copies.

Linkin Park's "Meteora" (Warner Bros.) is up 6-4, even though it endured a 43% drop in sales to 111,000 copies. "The Very Best of Cher" (Geffen/MCA/Warner Bros.) earns a 10-5 boost on a relatively tame 12% sales decline to 106,000 copies.

Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" (Blue Note/Capitol) sold 99,000 copies, a 31% drop from the previous week. Despite the loss, the album moves up 8-6 on The Billboard 200. Evanescence's Wind-Up debut "Fallen" returns to the top-10 with a 12-7 boost, a feat it manages in spite of a 19% decrease in sales to 89,000 units.

Fleetwood Mac's "Say You Will" (Warner Bros.) suffered a 60% sales loss to 87,000 copies in its second week, sending the album on a 3-8 slide. The 12th edition in the "NOW! That's What I Call Music" compilation series (Universal/EMI/Zomba/Sony) drops 7-9 on a 60% sales slip to 77,000 copies.

A weeklong stint on "Late Night With Conan O'Brien" helped raise the profile of the White Stripes even further. The critical darlings' latest V2 album, "Elephant," rebounds 21-15 in its fourth week, withstanding a small 12% dip to sales of 57,000 copies.

Also rebounding this week is the Dixie Chicks' "Home" (Monument/Columbia), which climbs 33-23 despite a tiny 10% drop in sales to 39,000 copies. The country trio embarked on a publicity campaign last week to regain favor with fans who were upset after negative comments about U.S. President George Bush made by singer Natalie Maines in London. In addition to sitting down for an interview with ABC's Diane Sawyer, the Chicks posed nude for the cover of "Entertainment Weekly."

Notable newcomers on The Billboard 200 this week include Disney's soundtrack to "The Lizzie McGuire Movie," which sold 51,000 copies to enter at No. 18, Mobb Deep's "Free Agents: Murda Mix Tape" (Landspeed/Koch), which moved 46,000 copies to land at No. 21, and "The Blessed Hellride" (Spitfire) from Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society, which pierces the chart at No. 50 on sales of 19,000 copies.

-- Todd Martens, L.A

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Bad. And I have yet to hear one song.

That's a weak debut. And don't give me shit about it being a soft week overall. If 50 cent can sell 800,000 in January, Madonna should still be able to pop a huge number no matter when she's released. But she didn't. (cuz her star is waning).

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...crap first single. And we know how those go, right? You never rebound from an "American Life" or an "Androgyny."

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
"Androgyny" *shudders* that was a career stopper. madonna should realize that the problem with "American Life" wasn't the video.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The album is actually very good imo though if you did not like the first single then I doubt you would like the rest of the album. Although how you can state your opinion without ever listening to it is beyond me.

Celebrity and popularity peaks and troughs. To say her 'star is fading' is a little melodramatic considering how unpopular and criticised she was during the mid 90s.

BTW she is not boasting at how many butlers and nannies she has - try listening to what the song is saying LOL.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
it may be a LOW # 1 in terms of sales, but its about on par with what Madonna usually sells...even the article said that...her biggest week ever was 400,000 and some...thats not ALL THAT much bigger than this...20 years into a music career and you can still pull these kind of opening numbers is pretty cool...and at the very least she knocked Kelly Clarkson out of # 1....that cant be all that bad

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Cannot see too many people being upset with an openning debut of 1/4 million copies.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Best entry of the week in french albums charts too at # 1 !!!!!

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
So, if you all *hate* Swept Away, have you actually seen it, or just bought into the negative press?

If you all hate American Life and think selling *only* 200K+ copies is horrible opening, 1) when did you start tracking SoundSCAN (2) have you actually heard the CD, (3) what's the last Madonna CD you bought or Madonna movie you saw.

Why are people so critical when they have no idea what you are talking about. You should be accountable for your 'thoughts' no matter how disingenuine they are.

Sorry, but it bothers me to end when people are critical or negative about things that they have no idea the substance they're bashing.

I like American Life, it's not her best and it's not the best ever,... but I enjoy it, it entertains me, it's provoking, and isn't that what it's all about?

Swept Away, on the other hand... I laughed hysterically. I found it to be very humerous, very original, and very well made movie. But, I suppose there will be no discussion on the actual merits of this movie since the people slaggin' on it haven't ACTUALLY SEEN IT.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
BTW, when history is written, this will go down as a #1 album. Period. No one will care how much she sold first week. Considering her worst is what 4xPlatinum, I don't think anyone in the Madge camp is too worried.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
*nods in agreement* with Seles

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I like the CD...I like about half the songs. I really enjoyed Music and Ray of Light...but Im sure this one will grow on me. I'm not surprised it is at #1. This is not my favorite Madonna CD, but it really isn't bad. That is really just my initial impression...I havent had time to listen to it more than about twice....

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Ray of Light is still my favorite Madonna CD but I like American Life, especially the Missy Elliott remix. I think the rap is hilarious because it shows how crazy life in the biz is. The songs a very personal and most of them are acoustic. I like it but it doesn't live up to Ray of Light in my eyes.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts