Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
She needs to be in school...

I wish these players (or really their parents) would hedge their bets by having their kids go to school, play a few tournaments during the summer, and if they don't start having Top 100ish results just go to Stanford, get a degree and say that you had a great tennis career. Not to be pessimistic, but they don't realize that 99.9% of players don't make it that far - and you only have one childhood.

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
I believe she's half-black, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Very well-spoken and composed, and I look forward to seeing what's to come!

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
This is all very impressive from a 14 y/o, sort of like Laura Robson was last Wimbledon. Good to see, we need well-spoken players like them in the future.

I wish these players (or really their parents) would hedge their bets by having their kids go to school, play a few tournaments during the summer, and if they don't start having Top 100ish results just go to Stanford, get a degree and say that you had a great tennis career. Not to be pessimistic, but they don't realize that 99.9% of players don't make it that far - and you only have one childhood.
Good points, although I don't think there's anything wrong with this one tourney to just test the waters. But even if she ends up going deep, it still needs to remain one tournament and she should stick to juniors/school etc.

If the parents and the child didn't think they were in that 1% of those who made it, they wouldn't be playing this early or at all.

·
Registered
964 Posts

I read this is a very clever girl who is taking school seriously. She says she wants something to fall back on if tennis doesn't work out. If everyone was going to Stanford and no one gave tennis a try we wouldn't have anything to cheer for very quickly. I think this is very promising for American tennis.

·
Banned
15,895 Posts

Good points. I checked a bit and she attends Evert Academy, which has schoolwork time and tennis time. Doesn't look like as much schoolwork as the average high school. Maybe the next time she is interviewed, a reporter (who is reading this thread) will ask.

I believe she's half-black, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Very well-spoken and composed, and I look forward to seeing what's to come!
She appears to be mixed race with some black in the mix, for sure.

Edit: on nickbollettieri.com, she is listed and described in an article on young black athletes.

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
I know I said this in the other thread, but her resemblance to Stevenson is crazy. :p

I like her though. She seems like a sweet girl and smiles a lot. :)

·
Banned
15,895 Posts
When Madison Keys declared that dream at age 7, then proved to her Rock Island parents she was serious over the next three years, Rick and Christine Keys decided to enroll her in the prestigious Evert Tennis Academy in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., where the family already had a second home.

Rick Keys said that’s the only sure route to a pro career. What’s more, he said, it is a route that must be embarked upon by age 10 or else.

“For girls, it is pretty universal,” he said. “If she is going to have a chance, you have to make that move at 10.”

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
ooh geez! so what Jcap did something when she was 14.
So now Madison has to emulate a player like Capriati in order to be successful?

Right.

·
Registered
30,296 Posts
^^ stop your drama...does anyone know if this girl won anything usefull ?? Damn why is just asking a question on this board must amount to DRAMA??

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Like I said in the other thread, this girl and Sachia Vickory are definitely American's most promising juniors right now, and they're probably the only American juniors with the potential to win a major someday. Hopefully one of them will or else American women's tennis is pretty screwed after the Williams sisters retire :lol:

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
^^ stop your drama...does anyone know if this girl won anything usefull ?? Damn why is just asking a question on this board must amount to DRAMA??
maybe because it's an irrelevant question at this point in her career. ;)

·
Registered
30,296 Posts
Keys Joins Record Books
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1...ntID=3135April 6, 2009

Keys Joins Record Books

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, FL, USA - American Madison Keys added her name to the history books Monday, becoming the seventh-youngest player ever to win a Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles main draw match.
Keys, who played her first professional event on the ITF Women's Circuit recently in Fort Walton Beach but fell first round, was a wildcard into The MPS Group Championships this week and made excellent use of that, beating world No.81 Alla Kudryavtseva of Russia, 75 64. She rallied from 5-2 down to win the first set and hit four aces in the second set - including one on match point.
"The last couple of days were just practice and getting ready for my first round, and after today I have to go back out and do the same thing for my next match," Keys said. "I don't really look past my next match. I just take it day by day."
Keys, originally from Chicago, now lives in Boca Raton and trains at the Evert Academy, coached by John Evert. Among her junior accomplishments are Under 12 titles at Eddie Herr and the Orange Bowl in 2007, and she lists clay as her favorite surface. At the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami two years ago, Portugal's Michelle Larcher de Brito became the seventh-youngest player to win a singles main draw match on the Tour; Keys beat her by just four days.

The following is a list of the 10 youngest players ever to win a main draw match in singles on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour:
1. Fernandez, Mary Joe (13 years & 6 months - 1985 Miami)
2. Capriati, Jennifer (13 years & 11 months - 1990 Boca Raton)
3. Graf, Steffi (13 years, 11 months & 10 days - 1983 Roland Garros)
4. Hingis, Martina (14 years & 1 week - 1994 Zürich)
5. Rinaldi, Kathy (14 years & 3 weeks - 1981 Amelia Island)
6. Austin, Tracy (14 years & 1 month - 1977 Portland)
7. Keys, Madison (14 years & 48 days - 2009 Ponte Vedra Beach)
8. Larcher de Brito, Michelle (14 years & 52 days - 2007 Miami)
9. Rehe, Stephanie (14 years & 2 months - 1984 Hershey)
10. Sabatini, Gabriela (14 years, 2 months & 2 weeks - 1984 Indianapolis)

All the drama....uhm never mind...wow the girl has potential.

·
Registered
30,296 Posts
Like I said in the other thread, this girl and Sachia Vickory are definitely American's most promising juniors right now, and they're probably the only American juniors with the potential to win a major someday. Hopefully one of them will or else American women's tennis is pretty screwed after the Williams sisters retire :lol:
well she has potential, very impressive.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts