1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
When she had the match point I started the thread title, ready to post the results thread. Then she didnt close and then didnt hold. But a fun match I wasnt expecting

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
Cristian was good, impressed with her serve and mentality. Didn't choke/fold after squandering that MP imo. Kenin raised her level. Very impressive signs and I do hope she can make a breakthrough on tour this year.

Sofia wasn't very convincing, only played well for 5 games in the match -- the 5 games she needed to win -- from 3-5 to 7-5 in the 2nd and last game in the 3rd. Guess that's where she had an edge over Jacqueline today, more experience and knowing when to buckle down and play stingy tennis.

From what I've seen in her last few losses Sonya has lacked the intensity and fight that has gotten her the AO title. She also seems to want to transition towards ballbashing and hitting it as hard as she can, which I don't think is the right game style for her going forward.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Christian's defence was solid all match and matched it with a power game which troubled Kenin consistently. Worked her way back into the first set after going an early break down. Managed to come back from an early mini-break in tiebreak to win it. Was very good in the second too

Sadly her composure on serve let her down at crucial times and it probably was a sign of nerves.

·
Registered
29,894 Posts
Cristian is doing really well lately. Important win for Kenin after some disheartening defeats lately. Maybe she can take advantage of the weaker Lyon draw. I still have no idea why she is playing here...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Jaqueline :love:
Future romanian nr. 1

Too bad she couldnt close it out, but still a very good performance. Showed the doubters she belongs to this level, just needs some more experience to win matches like this one.

Keep performing well and she can be top 50 at the end of the year.

Btw she already owns the hottest fistpump on tour :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
Her name is Cristian, and Kenin saved MP on 6-7 and 3-5! Kenin was solid here and will probably take the tournament.

But the young rising Romanian has brilliant talent and potential, totally deserved the win! Unfortunately she did not do anything wrong, this was high level from Sofia.

I could only say that she must improve her cardio plus her serve wasn't working like before anymore in the end of the 2nd set.

Basically Jacqueline served the most until then, when she served for the match!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Cristan played a lot better than her live ranking of 162. She is now 12W and 5L for the year with a ITF 25K trophy.
Kenin's claim to fame is hitting the ball in the court, but she was missing a lot today.
Kenin once again showed a lot of mental control as she came back from 3 -5 in the 2nd set and saving a MP at 4-5.
But, Kenin has not looked sharp recently.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hats off to Cristian for her effort tonight. She had the lead in the 2nd set and got a MP. Sadly she blew it. Happens. Huge props to her for the way she played tonight. Definitely will be following her matches from now on. What a killer serve she has and that FH is so blistering.

50+ UEs from Kenin in the match. Unexpected.

·
Registered
24,087 Posts
It's important to see Kenin getting wins. I'm hoping she can raise her level when she plays bigger foes. No offence to Christian, who's up and coming, but this would have been a bad loss.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
This is the kind of win that stops a post-Slam slump right in its tracks.

Saving a MP, fighting back to take the 2nd set, and winning in 2.5+ hours.

Kenin could have folded easily and wallowed in the misery of her form but kept at it, showing why she's going to be a staple at the top for years to come.

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
Sofia showed mental fortitude when Cristian served for the match. Kinda caught off guard by this tenacious youngster who served very well, played brave and solid, she then found a way to react and turn the match around. Good sign from a player who isn't used to be the favorite and whose body language was much more calm than before.

Cristian is promising. The more they come, the more the tour will be entertaining. (y)

·
Registered
30,971 Posts
Wow I watched the end of the second set and Kenin was really phenomenal (also lmao my computer kept autocorrecting her name to Henin…). She was down 0-30 and 30-40 in that 3-5 game and had to hit several tough shots to win those points. Extremely clutch. Cristian was very good too and would have won if Kenin had slipped up at all at that point.

However, this dip in form is lasting longer than I would have expected and I'm not too convinced she can win three more here. Dodin is a fairly similar game (offensive) though to Cristian I believe?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I remember a TF journalist posted Cristian's practice photo in New York/or New Haven last year. She was #200+ back then, very beautiful with a refined athletic physique. I was impressed and searched for her videos to see how good she was. Unfortunately those no-one-cares match videos were in poor quality.

Can't believe six months later she is on TV performing at this high level!? Hope she feels confident now and gets to #100 soon. Halep's compatriot +++?

Kenin looks different after AO. Those feisty yells and fistpumps are gone.(right?) She wants to change herself? Why? Do not smother that competitive fire!

A tense and entertaining match. Thanks to both players.?

·
Registered
43,960 Posts
Massive win for Sofia in terms of confidence. She could have easily checked out, as this is only a small tournament, but she stayed in it and fought till the end. Hopefully she will slowly regain the intensity she displayed in Melbourne and can get rid of some of the uncharacteristic errors in the process and still manages to keep her composure. :) Next match is not going to be any easier against Dodin.

Fantastic from Jaqueline! She lost a late match against Dodin in Macon last week and had to play her first match here the very next day. Looks like she kept her fantastic play from Fed Cup and I hope she won’t be discouraged by the loss, but appreciate how competitive she was against a Top 10 player. She would be a great asset to the tour.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
If she can keep this form of play we could see more of Cristian on the WTA level.
Kenin showing up when almost down and out - perhaps a win like this to reignite her level just before IW-Miami. ??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts