Tennis Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Huh? I feel the opposite about her. ALF was just coming up and showing real promise at 21/22 years of age when all of her injury problems started. She played in pain for most of 2016, she had her first shoulder surgery, came back very briefly at the end of 2017/beginning of 2018 only to be injured again, requiring another surgery. She only returned to the tour in February/March 2019. It‘s more like she was robbed two years at least, possibly even more.

She also came up way later than Petkovic, Kerber and Lisicki who started making an impact on the tour as early as 2009. ALF is a totally different generation and we always view her together with Lottner and Witthöft but certainly not with Kerber/Petkovic.
yeah i realise all that. i think it's more that I thought she was older when she starting to make some breakthroughs - she always kind of looks the same. obviously as a non-German i didn't follow her career progression very closely.

·
Milk and honey
3,310 Posts
Now that Indian Wells is done for this year and Miami is all but cancelled (in all likelihood), Kenin's decision to play here, depending on when the tour starts up again, could prove to be an even smarter move, not that it was intended that way. I bet a lot of players would've come to Lyon or Monterrey if they knew what was right around the corner (we all knew clay season was in doubt but Indian Wells is an event not many predicted would already be affected) but hindsight is 20/20.

Goes into the extended break (however long that ends up being, could be quite a while at this rate) with a title, some renewed confidence and of course 280 points which, while inconsequential at the moment, may help down the road if the tour sees no action until grass or beyond and the rankings aren't frozen - because who knows what the decision with the rankings will be just yet. If the rankings aren't frozen and points drop off month by month until early summer, 280 points might prove to be a hell of a lot more valuable than they look at the moment. To focus on the actual tennis for a moment, a great week for ALF and good to see her slowly reaching a top level again. The final itself was of great quality and Kenin's fighting spirit was on full display this week - her strongest quality.

·
Registered
43,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It is really strange to think how they managed to hold Lyon unaffected throughout the week and just a couple of days later it would be impossible to get from Lyon to the US anymore. Really goes to show how quickly and massively Corona has impacted the world!
I wonder where Sofia is currently. I guess in the US as she was still planning to go to IW. After all that effort here was truly worth it for her as she will have more than enough rest.

·
Registered
997 Posts
if anybody didn't watch this tournament when it was on, i suggest now that there is no tennis to watch, you should watch sonya's matches in full.
4 terrific three set matches in a row against cristian,( who had a match point), dodin, van uytvanck & friedsam.

even if your not a fan of hers, you can see why she won the australian open. she had to work so hard for this, but raised her game right when it mattered, and had that typical never say die attitude.

plus she's channeling camila giorgi with the length of her skirts.

at least around 10 good hours of tennis to while away the time.

·
Premium Member
38,340 Posts
I only have two negative comments to make about that Lyon tournament:

1) the angle of the camera streaming the matches, not high and wide enough.
2) The ugly colors of the court (especially the pink around).

This doesn't optimize the entertainment.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Okay, not sure where to ask this, but can anyone link me the TF match thread of the Andreescu-Kenin SF at Acapulco? I tried to use TF's search function and failed :p

·
Registered
117 Posts
Okay, not sure where to ask this, but can anyone link me the TF match thread of the Andreescu-Kenin SF at Acapulco? I tried to use TF's search function and failed :p
The link:

TF's search function→can't even find my own posts last year?
IW/Acapulco 2019/3 discusions are on page 136 or so.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The link:

TF's search function→can't even find my own posts last year?
IW/Acapulco 2019/3 discusions are on page 136 or so.
Lol yeah, it's awful. Anyway, thanks for the link!

·
Registered
53,484 Posts
41 - 49 of 49 Posts