Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Did Sofia say that it was Caro Garcia who told her she should go to Lyon during the ceremony? Interesting if I caught that right.

Lyon was a fun tournament to watch. I really enjoyed the organisation and the court, and I thought the crowd engagement was quite good. Really impressed with the number of people who showed up today given the lack of big names and the poor performance of the French players. Good for the tournament to get a winner as prestigious as the reigning Australian Open champion in its first year, too. Hopefully a good sign that it will return next year?

Not Sofia's best tennis at all this week but she did what she needed to do and a lot of the rest of the top 10 wouldn't have been able to do this. Good result for the tour.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I agree with this. Vika is the last one that comes to mind with winning a title even quicker after her maiden slam. The fastest one ever was probably Sveta, who took the title in Bali the week after winning NY. ? That would seem unthinkable today.
Well, Ash won Birmingham right after winning RG

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I know there are definite *'s with some of them coming back from injury, some really starting to blossom, and one being very good indoors, but on paper, purely ranking-wise, a run of 107, 174, 130, 62, and 136, must be the weakest WTA title runs for quite some time?

Anyway (I'm a fan), it was great to see her battling through all week and adding another title to her resume, especially so soon after her AO success, and to firmly put those 3 successive defeats behind her - some would have given up and got the first plane back to the States in the same position.

Good week for Friedsam as well.
It doesn't really apply here tbh.

Everyone she faced has an indoor title to their name at some sort of level/or have regular success in these conditions.

Apart from maybe Cristian, Cristian did play out of her mind though.

Really wasn't an easy week at all for Kenin, anyone that watched her all week knows she had to really step up to win this.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Congratulations Sofia. World #4 - woohoo. Let’s see how she does during IW and Miami. Good to see a player win two titles in 2020 - and one of them being a GS.

·
Registered
15,489 Posts
Congrats to Sofia Kenin who showed her Champion qualities there, never gave up especially in this match vs Cristian

great tournament with top quality organisation (y)

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
It doesn't really apply here tbh.

Everyone she faced has an indoor title to their name at some sort of level/or have regular success in these conditions.

Apart from maybe Cristian, Cristian did play out of her mind though.

Really wasn't an easy week at all for Kenin, anyone that watched her all week knows she had to really step up to win this.
I referenced all that with AVU's indoor pedigree, Christian being promising, and ALF and Dodin being former top 50 players who have been rocked with injuries and illness in recent years, and specifically said 'purely ranking-wise'. Oh, and I managed to watch her last 4 matches, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
997 Posts
watched all sonya's matches this week, she really earnt this title. so many three setters and match point against in a match, but she still did it.
another well fought match by two players. it was just the extra bit of class, and winning the big points that made the difference in the end.
i think this win is more important than the slam, after a couple of disappointing losses in the middle east, she needed to get that winning feeling back.
when she retires, sonya may look back at this title as one that has helped her to overcome the baggage of being a grand slam champ, because i think she was feeling the pressure.
she now knows, even though this was a lower level event, that she came as the top seed, had to work bloody hard, and managed a win.
not every top player can do that.
a.l.f had a great week, these weeks can energize a players season, plus she earnt a nice runners up cheque and her live ranking has gone up to 106.
sonya has now gone up to a live ranking of 4, overtaking bianca.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It was a very good tournament for Sonya. Dont look so much into her opponents ranking, it was more about Sonya addressing the issues and finding solutions on court. She saved a MP vs Cristian, overcame that 2nd set choke vs Dodin, won a 3rd set TB vs AVU... All this stuff must be really positive for her confidence.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Sofia fought through this week though she should have won in straight set in QF and final
that is important for her to get out of slump after winning a slam

·
Registered
17,719 Posts
Entertaining, hard-fought match. Sonya now with her fifth title—1 slam, 4 MMs, lol. Hopefully, this will give her confidence for nice runs at the Sunshine Double.

·
Registered
997 Posts
i think now that indian wells has been cancelled, both sonya and elina who won monterrey, will be pleased they played these events, won, and got some extra ranking points.

·
Registered
942 Posts
It's weird Friedsam only just turned 26. Feel like she's been around/injured forever and should be the same age as Kerber/Petkovic.

·
Registered
39,300 Posts
It's weird Friedsam only just turned 26. Feel like she's been around/injured forever and should be the same age as Kerber/Petkovic.
Huh? I feel the opposite about her. ALF was just coming up and showing real promise at 21/22 years of age when all of her injury problems started. She played in pain for most of 2016, she had her first shoulder surgery, came back very briefly at the end of 2017/beginning of 2018 only to be injured again, requiring another surgery. She only returned to the tour in February/March 2019. It‘s more like she was robbed two years at least, possibly even more.

She also came up way later than Petkovic, Kerber and Lisicki who started making an impact on the tour as early as 2009. ALF is a totally different generation and we always view her together with Lottner and Witthöft but certainly not with Kerber/Petkovic.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Seeing her win this title seems right - I just can't with her being AO winner as well. Just seems odd, maybe it will take some time.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts