Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
43,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What a tournament from Sofia, but she is able to walk away with the title here! :D
Even before winning Melbourne entering Lyon right before the Sunshine Double instead of Monterrey seemed like a weird move and I was convinced she would not show up here after her slam title, but after two consecutive losses on the tour it proved to be a smart move to come here. I still wonder if she had chosen Monterrey for a WC had she not entered here.?
She clearly was not at the same level as Melbourne and struggled with the confidence and clarity in her game she displayed in Melbourne, but she made up for it with sheer determination and a willingness to fight.

She was taken to three sets by three players outside of the Top 100 and had an additional long one against a proven indoor player, but she came through all of these despite her level varying significantly throughout the matches. Hopefully this will give her a big push for the Sunshine Double. She definitely needs it! This win will also put her at #4 in the world.

I love to see a top player giving their all no matter the circumstances and that is what Sofia did this year and I am really happy she crowned it with the title! A lot of other players showing up for paychecks should take notice. I hope she will continue this way forward. She singlehandedly saved the interest in the tournament. ?

Congrats to ALF as well on a fantastic week. She is quite a skilled player especially on faster surfaces. Beating Mladenovic, Kuzmova and Kasatkina in three consecutive matches is impressive and she can only go forward from her injuries at this point. She is on a good way to establish herself back in the Top 100. She could very well be the German #1 very soon.

·
Registered
30,970 Posts
My word, Kenin seemed determine to make things as complicated as possible this week. The Cristian win was really impressive though and the rest showed that she is tough as nails and won't give up. Rarely has anyone won this many three set matches back-to-back but Kenin looked totally fresh, so the mental challenge may be what she needed. She'll need to step it up though if she's going to play up to her ranking. Big congrats though for gritting it out!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
As expected she would get the title here and she does! Solid performance but her UE counter in most matches has been higher than she would surely like, touch 42 today as well.

Congratulations to her and this should be a lovely win and return back after a cold spell after the AO for her.

·
Registered
84,403 Posts
Nice to see Kenin with the title after her AUS Open win. She found her way through this week. Her volley errors today... ?‍♀

·
Registered
9,126 Posts
Anna-Lena, so close :-(. But very good tournament. If she can keep this form up, she will win a tournament for sure in the future.

·
Registered
84,403 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
All these 3 setters, she had a lot of slumps but she also played brilliantly at moments. Good decision to come here to get some wins, even though now it's hard to expect much from her in IW. I started to appreciate her game more, she's pretty basic but she has a lot of good qualities, like her shot selection, redirection of the ball; overall she has solid game but is not boring. Her game suits indoors quite a bit, I'd say. First player of the year to hold 2 titles, right? Also, Lyon was a really cool tournament tbh There was more interest than expected.

·
Registered
39,300 Posts
Kenin was truly stunning at times. ALF never managed to control the center of the court. She‘s an aggressive player and cannot afford to hit so central against a player with this much skill in her wrist as Kenin.

Still a great week for ALF and I‘m sure she will be dangerous again in the future.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
So happy for Sofia - winning a title so soon after winning her maiden slam bodes very well for 2020, and helps make up for those early round losses in Dubai/Doha. 5th WTA title - 4 of those she has won in the past 12 months.

I don’t think this necessarily means she will have amazing results over the sunshine double but it’s still a very positive week for her. She fought amazingly well all week.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
That was such hard-fought week for Kenin.... It was quite impressive tbh, the draw was actually quite tough.

Came up against very capable indoor players.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I know there are definite *'s with some of them coming back from injury, some really starting to blossom, and one being very good indoors, but on paper, purely ranking-wise, a run of 107, 174, 130, 62, and 136, must be the weakest WTA title runs for quite some time?

Anyway (I'm a fan), it was great to see her battling through all week and adding another title to her resume, especially so soon after her AO success, and to firmly put those 3 successive defeats behind her - some would have given up and got the first plane back to the States in the same position.

Good week for Friedsam as well.

·
Registered
30,970 Posts
This match also had a very nice crowd; I hope that means the tournament will survive because Lyon is an amazing city (and hopefully Kenin will return).

·
Registered
43,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kenin the first WTA player to win a 2nd title in 2020.
A lot earlier than last year, where we had to wait until Stuttgart in April for a player to lift two trophies.

So happy for Sofia - winning a title so soon after winning her maiden slam bodes very well for 2020, and helps make up for those early round losses in Dubai/Doha. 5th WTA title - 4 of those she has won in the past 12 months.

I don’t think this necessarily means she will have amazing results over the sunshine double but it’s still a very positive week for her. She fought amazingly well all week.
I agree with this. Vika is the last one that comes to mind with winning a title even quicker after her maiden slam. The fastest one ever was probably Sveta, who took the title in Bali the week after winning NY. ? That would seem unthinkable today.

On a sidenote I really dislike it when there are interviewers at trophy ceremonies. I enjoy free speeches a lot more. There can of course be a translator. But I thought it was nice how Sofia mentioned Caro in her speech. :D

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Well done Kenin! She basically fought her way out of a slump, which is very impressive. The way she moves the ball around the court is excellent; it looks quite effortless at times from her. She could have easily lost at some point earlier in this tournament, but she didn't. How often do you see the top seed win a tournament?

She's going to be at the top for a while I feel. 5-1 in WTA finals now.

·
Registered
43,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
This match also had a very nice crowd; I hope that means the tournament will survive because Lyon is an amazing city (and hopefully Kenin will return).
This tournament was another testament why fast surfaces and indoor tournaments are a great addition to the tour. The quality was really good for an International I thought and you had a lot of close contests with 7 of the 8 matches from the QFs onwards going to three sets. How great would that be at a slam. ?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts