Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Are you thinking of Noppawan Lertcheewakarn? Because she's now a police officer.

But Luksika Kumkhum played a full schedule (albeit lost most everything) for the first half of 2019, and seemingly picked up an injury.
Lertcheewakarn's game transitioned really badly to the main tour. :-( She was never a clean striker of the ball, but she took it extremely early, almost like a half volley from the baseline, it worked for her as a junior but on the main tour she did not have the consistency, and her technique looked quite bad. I hope she is living a good life now, she still had an amazing experience and was able to play two grand slam main draws.

Luksika has an exciting and fun game to watch. I hope she can get into the groove again and bring her flashy tennis back to the top 100. However her fitness and motivation are always suspect. As I recall, she turned down an opportunity to enter the main draw of the US Open one year for no particular reason. She seemed to get burnt out by tennis and never really put together an ambitious schedule.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Oh that's great, thanks for letting us know. Hopefully she can regain enough form to compete in some WTA tournaments again, she's fun to watch. I watched her beat Andreescu on back to back 25K finals back in 2018 and ironically Andreescu went on to have a monster 2019 season and she stepped further away from the game.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Is Kumkhum the player who virtually never travelled out of the Asia/Aus region? Or am I thinking of someone else?
I think you mean Fangzhou Liu who always was a permanent fixture in the Top 200 but never wanted to travel anywhere outside of Asia besides some GS qualies.

·
Registered
23,587 Posts
Won 7-5, 6-1 in her QF but very typical of her to lose during clutch points. Was up 3-0 and 4-2 first set before almost losing at 4-5.

Need to work more on being steady.

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Is Kumkhum the player who virtually never travelled out of the Asia/Aus region? Or am I thinking of someone else?
She did have an interview a few years back saying that she couldn't afford to travel outside Asia. So she basically used to play some warm-ups, the slam and ITF like TayTo.

·
Registered
23,587 Posts
She did have an interview a few years back saying that she couldn't afford to travel outside Asia. So she basically used to play some warm-ups, the slam and ITF like TayTo.
She did travel out occasionally (she played FO/wimbledon and british ITF/Mexico open and some us tournaments and that’s it, completely ignored the rest of the tour) but dislike it due to being alone.

I think she couldn’t afford to have a team to accompany her.

Reactions: WilliamsOhanian

·
Registered
23,587 Posts
With ITF 15k being the lowest tournament, how many does she need to win to even rack up points for a WTA event? 🤦🏽

21 - 40 of 48 Posts