Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
I see Mertens not back to try and defend her title. She also skipped Hobart defence. She must be thinking big.

I’m baffled this event has lasted a 2nd year - the weather was awful last year and can’t see it being much different this year. At least Biel-Bienne (2017) was indoors which is logical for this part of Europe this time of year...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Last year it was rainy and cold! Can't blame Mertens for tagging out of that nonsense.
I see you're one of those, well try not to lose your mind when you see all that great stuff below.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqrt31

As for the rain, you know well enough Brisbane used to have rain delays, but ever since they got those fantastic Show Courts that have those nice roofs there hasn't been any rain delays for years.

Look how much room on one of the sides of that magnificent roof.

Even a small tournament at the Darwin Tennis International Centre got a roof.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It depends on how you measure temperature.

I take Camila Giorgi as a thermometer , so Prague 2017 was a cold tournament

while Lugano 2018 not really cold (personal picture taken around 7:30 PM)

Temps didn't hit above 20C all week and dipped to single digits at night. Nobody wants to play tennis in thst, esp when it's raining. Even if indoor facility is available for play, still just an invitation for illness.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Temps didn't hit above 20C all week and dipped to single digits at night. Nobody wants to play tennis in thst, esp when it's raining. Even if indoor facility is available for play, still just an invitation for illness.
I guess that link with all the evidence there must have shocked you so hard for saying all those things right? :lol:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
If it DOES rain like it did last year, I don't think this event will be on the 2020 calendar. Just totally unbearable, I don't know why the organisers even bother.

The clay here is nice and the attendance doesn't even seem that bad (especially for the weather and such a small stadium), but the constant stopping and starting, and then sometimes having to take a break for days at a time really takes its toll.

Actually quite a few of the girls who were here last year have said no thanks. :lol: I'm again surprised that Mertens didn't want to defend her title here (I think she won doubles as well!).

I hope Camikaze, Kontaveit, Flipper and Petko are in good form. :)

·
Registered
37,340 Posts
If it DOES rain like it did last year, I don't think this event will be on the 2020 calendar. Just totally unbearable, I don't know why the organisers even bother.

The clay here is nice and the attendance doesn't even seem that bad (especially for the weather and such a small stadium), but the constant stopping and starting, and then sometimes having to take a break for days at a time really takes its toll.

Actually quite a few of the girls who were here last year have said no thanks. :lol: I'm again surprised that Mertens didn't want to defend her title here (I think she won doubles as well!).

I hope Camikaze, Kontaveit, Flipper and Petko are in good form. :)
Yeah after last year I am super surprised Kontaveit came back. But she seems to be super rigid with her schedule, I think she has played the same events now three years in a row.

·
Registered
14,844 Posts
I see you're one of those, well try not to lose your mind when you see all that great stuff below.

TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

As for the rain, you know well enough Brisbane used to have rain delays, but ever since they got those fantastic Show Courts that have those nice roofs there hasn't been any rain delays for years.

Look how much room on one of the sides of that magnificent roof.

Even a small tournament at the Darwin Tennis International Centre got a roof.

Well, this is not true. There have been rain delays (can't remember when, but there were definitely some delays on those show courts) because the back of the courts were still wet.

·
Registered
14,844 Posts
And people are exaggerating a bit here, I was a few kilometres away from the venue last year and it was not that cold in that area. The rain was the main problem, not the temperatures.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, this is not true. There have been rain delays (can't remember when, but there were definitely some delays on those show courts) because the back of the courts were still wet.

I saw those towels in the back but the rest of the court looked ok to me compared to Cincinatti, Washington or Auckland last year. Besides, the whole wet in the back thing can easily be fixed.

Point is you're still better off with a roof like the one in Brisbane or Darwin.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Weather forecast at this point - rainy Wed and Sun, temperatures are chilly - around 9-10C at 10/11am most days, moving up to a high of around 13-15C. Too cold to play outdoors and for the spectators too! I have been frozen at Eastbourne and a flunkey came out to put a coat on Sue Barker when her TV spots ended. This event has a bad record of rain going to back to the 80s when it was abandoned one year at the quarter-final stage and some players didn't even get the previous round finished!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts