·
Registered
52,081 Posts

·
Registered
52,081 Posts
Re: Lucie's Articles Thread

Very sad that Lucie will retire at Aus Open :sobbing: :sad:

I will miss her a lot. But I also can understand her. She is not healthy to compete at her best. And also she is 31 yo now (32 in Feb. next year). She wants time at home with her family and friends. And then start her own family. I wish her all the best ! :kiss:

·
Registered
52,081 Posts

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/lucie-safarova-set-retire-after-2019-australian-open

Lucie Safarova set to retire after 2019 Australian Open

The former World No.5 and 2015 Roland Garros finalist announced she will finish off her outstanding singles and doubles career at the Australian Open.

November 10, 2018

PRAGUE, Czech Republic - Former World No.5 and 2015 Roland Garros finalist Lucie Safarova has announced her final tournament will be the 2019 Australian Open. The 31-year-old announced the news at a pre-final press conference ahead of the Fed Cup final between the Czech Republic and the United States on Saturday. She hopes to be able to play both singles and doubles in Melbourne and has requested a wildcard she falls outside the main draw cut.

"I had a great career but my health doesn't allow me to continue," Safarova said. The Czech has struggled with various illnesses over the last three seasons and has seen her singles ranking drop to No.106. Speaking in Czech, said her health issues have made the prospect of constant travel and climbing back up the rankings too difficult.

Safarova has won 7 WTA singles titles and 15 doubles titles in her 16-year-career. An all-court, all-discipline threat, the versatile Czech striker made the semifinals of Wimbledon in 2014 before becoming a major finalist a year later, making a run to the 2015 French Open final where she lost to Serena Williams in three sets. Her stellar 2015 season, which also saw her win the title in Doha and return to the Round of 16, put her into the BNP Paribas WTA Finals Singapore presented by SC Global for the first time in her career.

In addition to her fantastic singles career, Safarova's doubles career took off when she teamed with her good friend Bethanie Mattek-Sands in 2015. The pair won five majors together - 2015 Australian Open, 2015 Roland Garros, 2016 US Open, 2017 Australian Open, and 2016 Roland Garros - and ascended to the top of the doubles rankings. Safarova also won Olympic bronze at the Olympics in Rio de Janiero with Barbora Strycova in 2016.

·
Registered
52,081 Posts

https://www.fedcup.com/en/news/296441.aspx

Safarova and Sukova receive Fed Cup Commitment Award

11 Nov 2018

Lucie Safarova and Helena Sukova have been presented with Fed Cup Commitment Awards ahead of the second day of play at the Fed Cup Final between Czech Republic and USA in Prague.

The two Czech players, who have contested 75 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas ties and won seven titles between them, were well received at the O2 Arena - home of so much Czech success in recent years - on Sunday.

The ITF introduced the award in 2016 to recognise players who have been particularly dedicated to representing their nation in Fed Cup. To be eligible for the award, players must compete in a minimum of 20 World Group ties or 50 ties at any level of the competition.

Safarova made her Fed Cup debut in 2004 and has played a total of 21 ties. She has been a stalwart of Petr Pala’s team in recent years, and was a member of the Czech Republic teams that won the Fed Cup Final in 2011, 2012 and 2014.

The occasion was particularly poignant for Safarova, whose final Fed Cup tie was in the first round of this year's competition. The 31-year-old announced earlier this week that she would retire from tennis after the 2019 Australian Open.

Czech legend Sukova has played more Fed Cup ties than any other Czech player. She played 54 Fed Cup ties over 15 years, and holds the record for most total Fed Cup wins by a Czech player, having won an incredible 57 Fed Cup rubbers. She appeared in 5 Fed Cup Finals and won 4 of them, in 1983, 1984, 1985 and 1986.

Barbora Strycova, who is contesting her 20th and final Fed Cup tie this weekend, is also now eligible to receive the Commitment Award. She was given a generous ovation by the Prague crowd and will be presented with her award at a later date.
:)

·
Registered
52,081 Posts

·
Registered
52,081 Posts

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/safarova-sukova-honored-service-czech-tennis

Safarova, Sukova honored for service to Czech tennis

Czechs Helena Sukova and Lucie Safarova were honored for their Fed Cup exploits at the O2 Arena in Prague over the weekend as they were each presented with the Fed Cup Commitment Award.

November 12, 2018

Czech stalwarts Lucie Safarova and Helena Sukova were honored for on-court service to their country at the recently-concluded Fed Cup final over the weekend, as each player was presented with the Fed Cup Commitment Awards ahead of the second day of play.

The two Czech players, who contested 75 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas ties and won seven titles between them, were well received at the O2 Arena - home of so much Czech success in recent years - on Sunday before the home nation clinched the final tie against the United States.

The ITF introduced the award in 2016 to recognize players who have been particularly dedicated to representing their nation in Fed Cup. To be eligible for the award, players must compete in a minimum of 20 World Group ties or 50 ties at any level of the competition.

Safarova made her Fed Cup debut in 2004 and played a total of 21 ties. She has been a stalwart of the team in recent years, and was a member of the Czech Republic teams that took home the title in 2011, 2012 and 2014.

The occasion was particularly poignant for Safarova, whose final Fed Cup tie was in the first round of this year's competition. The 31-year-old announced earlier this week that she would retire from tennis after the 2019 Australian Open.

·
Registered
52,081 Posts

·
Registered
52,081 Posts

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/kvitova-legend-safarovas-retirement-i-hope-lucie-will-be-healthy-and-happy

Kvitova on 'legend' Safarova's retirement: "I hope Lucie will be healthy and happy!"

The Czech pays tribute to her colleague and compatriot.

December 30, 2018

BRISBANE, Australia - Petra Kvitova has wished her friend and compatriot Lucie Safarova the very best in retirement - and said she will miss the "special moment" when they are on court together.

The pair were part of the Czech Fed Cup team that have had so much success in recent years, most recently winning the championship in 2018.

"I know in the last couple of years I think she'd been dealing with the sickness and illness, and I think it's understandable when she is not like dead hungry to be back in the top," Kvitova told reporters. "So I do understand that it's really tough to get back in this kind of game when everybody is just very fit.

"And, yeah, I do remember when I came to play, and she was one of the players that I looked up to. We practiced a few times over there, and I was like [a] small child, hi, very shy. And we started to play the Fed Cups together, and kind of we were probably those two who really took the Fed Cup team pretty high, and we spent so many times in the Fed Cup weeks.

"And sitting each other on the bench it was something really special. We knew how the other one was feeling. So you know when we played, we always catch the eyes when they are looking, and it was something really special to share those moments with her, and I'm very proud that we could do it together. And, yeah, hopefully she's going to be very healthy and happy."

Kvitova reflected on Safarova's place in Czech tennis history, describing her as a "legend".

"She was No.1 in doubles, she played final of the Grand Slams, she has so many Fed Cup ties, titles," she added. "I think she does everything, except she didn't win a Grand Slam in the singles, but overall I think she had a great, great career. Everybody can be jealous of her career - and definitely she is one of the legends in Czech Republic for sure."
Very nice words from lovely Petra :yeah:

·
Registered
52,081 Posts

Unfortunately I won’t be going to Australia to do my farewell as planned due to a wrist injury. I’m really sad because I was excited to play there doubles with @barborastrycova. I still want to say my good bye on the court and I will let you know when and where soon..
Out with wrist tendinitis. Plans to retire on court so she will play something else and won't retire yet. I guess Prague International is likely choice.
A pity :sobbing:

Yes, to retire at WTA Prague at home would be logical :p

·
Registered
52,081 Posts

·
Registered
52,081 Posts

·
Registered
52,081 Posts
https://www.fedcup.com/en/news/304624.aspx

With the tie being sealed in routine fashion by a player destined for a long Fed Cup career, the stage was then set for Czech stalwart Lucie Safarova to bring down the curtain on hers as dazzling sunshine filtered through the translucent roof.

The former French Open runner-up teamed up with Barbora Krejcikova to beat Sharon Fichman and Gabriela Dabrowski 76(4) 75 and put the cherry on a 4-0 victory.

Safarova has been part of the powerhouse Czech team since 2004 and played a leading role in the 2012 and 2014 triumphs. The 32-year-old lefthander got a rousing reception from the crowd who chanted her name and the tears rolled as she was hugged by her teammates inside the National Tennis Centre arena where she honed her game as a junior.

“Her contribution has been huge,” six-time Fed Cup winning captain Petr Pala said. “She has been with me the whole way. She has helped us win so many close matches and as well as being such a great player, she has always worked so hard for the team.”

Safarova, who memorably thrashed Jelena Jankovic to seal the 2012 title, said it had been an “amazing farewell” to Fed Cup having decided to call time on her career.

“I had tears in my eyes even when I was warming up,” she said. “It was beautiful.”
Thank you for everything, Lucie ! :yeah:

Czech Republic can be very proud to have such a great tennis player :)

·
Registered
52,081 Posts

·
Registered
52,081 Posts
https://www.wtatennis.com/news/ill-probably-play-paris-safarova-still-looking-ahead-after-home-farewell-prague

2019 - PRAGUE - CZECH REPUBLIC

'I'll probably play Paris' - Safarova still looking ahead after home farewell in Prague

Former World No.5 Lucie Safarova is aiming to retire at Roland Garros after playing the final match of her career in front of home fans at the J&T Banka Prague Open.

Alex Macpherson

May 1, 2019

PRAGUE, Czech Republic - The final match of Lucie Safarova's career in front of her home fans did not quite go to plan as, alongside Barbora Stefkova, she missed two match points to fall 6-4, 4-6, [13-11] to Makoto Ninomiya and Yana Sizikova in the first round of the J&T Banka Prague Open - but the beloved Czech veteran isn't quite done with her career yet.

"I'll probably play Paris," Safarova announced to the press afterwards. Roland Garros is a tournament that holds fond memories for the 32-year-old: she is a two-time champion in doubles there, having lifted the trophy in 2015 and 2017 alongside Bethanie Mattek-Sands, and she also reached her sole Grand Slam final in singles in the French capital, losing in three sets to Serena Williams in 2015.

Safarova had originally intended to retire at the Australian Open, but wrist tendinitis prevented her from competing and prompted an extension of her career until Prague. A former World No.1 in doubles, she has 15 WTA titles to her credit in that discipline, including five Grand Slam titles in women's doubles alongside long-time doubles partner Mattek-Sands - and her farewell tour has already garnered a run to the Stuttgart final last week in tandem with Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.

The left-hander is also a former World No.5 in singles, winning seven WTA singles titles in her career - with the last coming in Prague in 2016, and has been an integral member of her country's Fed Cup squad, contributing towards each of the Czech Republic's five titles between 2011 and 2018.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts