1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
LTT
Qantas International

Preview:

This week, we move from Asia to Australia and the last stop before next week’s first Grand Slam, the Australian Open. Let’s look at the contenders now shall we?

• Mary Pierce – Still holding on to the number one ranking for the ninth week is Mary Pierce. Mary was booted too early for comfort last week in Bali by the same woman that beat her in the Fed Cup, Justine Henin-Hardenne. Of course, Justine did reach the finals so I guess the upset was justified. Mary at least got revenge by taking the doubles trophy with Maria Sharapova from Henin-Hardenne and Jie Zheng. Mary needs to get deep into this tournament if not to prove why she’s number one but to also get some of that confidence back.
  • Elena Dementieva – Still one half of the top doubles team of LTT, Elena was an opening round casualty care of newcomer Karolina Sprem. Recound ace really isn’t Elena’s forte but if she wishes to try for the top ranking again, she needs to get that serve in gear (try not to double fault at least) and keep those groundstrokes awake. Doubles was the same story as Elena and Anna (Kournikova) seem to be concentrating more on singles these days. We’ll see how Elena’s preparation for the AO will be this week as she is defending the doubles crown next week.
  • Anna Kournikova – Wow did she surprise everyone last week. As the defending champion and season two inaugural champion, Anna has a lot on stake this week. Not only her reputation but also her capabilities will be in question. Around this time last season, Anna was number two in the rankings and made the top spot (due to the abrupt retirement of Cory Ann Avants) albeit for a week before losing it to Australian Open champion Martina Hingis. Anna is usually alive for the early parts of the season, goes on hibernation during the clay and grass season then wakes up again during the hardcourt and indoor seasons. Let’s see if her body clock proves true once again.
  • Jie Zheng – Rounding up the top four is China’s Jie Zheng. Jie got a bad draw last week as her opening round opponent was Olympic gold medalist Lindsay Davenport. Sure Jie is also a gold medal holder but that came from doubles. She did trouble Davenport but as the higher seeded player, should have beaten Lindsay instead. Things are looking strange in doubles for Jie as she and Justine are beginning to suffer from the same syndrome that Elena and Anna suffered: Sacrificing doubles success for singles success. Elena and Anna, during the start of the first season, only had to appear to reach the doubles final and win yet another title. But late last season, they started coming apart at the seams once they reached a final. Zheng and partner Henin-Hardenne narrowly missed gaining number one in doubles nonetheless. Anna was Vancouver while Elena won Wimbledon. Now, Jie won her first singles title late last season while Justine reached her first Tier one final last week. Predictably, they made the doubles final but lost to a first time partnership to Mary Pierce and Maria Sharapova. Are we going to see Anna & Elena V.02?
Other notable contenders:

Daniela Hantuchova – Season-Ending Champion, she needs to remember that one week does not a career make.

Serena Williams-Santoro – Forget about Jennifer for now and concentrate on getting to the later rounds of tournaments again.

Silvia Farina Elia – Wake-up woman!

Justine Henin-Hardenne – Whose career will she emulate, Anna’s or Elena’s?

Venus Williams – Surprise semi-finalist last week, her coach is beginning to make waves not just in LTT. Can than translate once again this week?

Lindsay Davenport – Defeated Jie Zheng last week before losing to partner Venus. She’s a gold medalist who has surprised all, a true dark horse who has surprised everyone numerous times.

Elena Bovina – Who cares about the player? It’s her coach that everybody should worry about as she pulls Bovina’s strings with excellent match strategy after another.

Maria Sharapova – Like Bovina, people care more about the coach rather than the player herself as they are the true driving forces to their charges careers.

Singles Draw

Doubles Draw:
(1)Dementieva/Kournikova vs. Kirilenko/Myskina

Farina Elia/Hingis vs. Baczinscy/Loeffler-Caro

Pierce/Sharapova vs. Seles/Sprem

(2)Henin-Hardenne/Zheng vs. Davenport/Williams

Send all points to The Felix.

·
Registered
26,095 Posts
SERENA/JEN!!!! please!

and she will commit!!!!!

·
Ferosh Warrior ♥
53,292 Posts
nath dear, she has not been online since forever. :sad: i wonder what happened to her.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[felix] said:
finally. :haha: i've been waiting for this since like saturday. :p
Well I was waiting for the new rankings in case it affected any byes being given. :)

Oh, and Serena, I'll add you and Jen once Felix confirms that she has indeed sent points before the deadline.

·
Ferosh Warrior ♥
53,292 Posts
Aerien said:
Well I was waiting for the new rankings in case it affected any byes being given. :)

Oh, and Serena, I'll add you and Jen once Felix confirms that she has indeed sent points before the deadline.
I thought, you wrote that you'll make a thread after the final result :eek:.

I actually just finished my rankings. :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
n e one with lisa raymond?

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[felix] said:
I thought, you wrote that you'll make a thread after the final result :eek:.

I actually just finished my rankings. :)
I'll make a what thread now? :confused:

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[felix] said:
Aerin, you'll have to remember to add Lisa and Zina.
Added.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[felix] said:
new tournament thread. :tape: duh.
Well this is it now.
When are you going to update the rankings?

·
Ferosh Warrior ♥
53,292 Posts
Aerien said:
Well this is it now.
When are you going to update the rankings?
Most prolly tonight. The updated ranks file is in my computer. Top 4 remains the same though.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Its Tuesday and still no Singles Draw or no rankings updated?

Whats up guys? c'mon.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Foxylicious said:
Its Tuesday and still no Singles Draw or no rankings updated?

Whats up guys? c'mon.
Um the singles draw has been there since yesterday. Click the link. :)

Meanwhile I'm just waiting for tomorrow to finalize the doubles draw.

Reactions: fOxYLiCiOuS

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Rubin/Zina

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Grrr, I've tried posting the preview twice already and both got screwed. :eek:
Try number three now.......

1 - 20 of 83 Posts