Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Central Bank of Iceland Challenge

The Central Bank of Iceland Challenge(Seðlabanki Íslands) is an independent sporting event, owned by the Icelandic state but under separate administration.

This newly added Tier I event will feature the TOP 10 playing field in the sport of tennis. Without a doubt, this is a one of akind event, as Iceland has never been famous for its allround season sports. This tennis event will feature a star studded attraction, with players such as; Magui Serna, Anna Kournikova, Venus Williams, Jelena Dokic, Elena Dementieva, Maria Sharapova, Mirjana Lucic, Mary Pierce, and Jennifer Capriati.

This tournament will be played in the Icelandic captail of Reykajvik.​

Facts about Iceland

Country is an island of 103.000 km2 (39,756 sq.miles), with an average height of 500 m above sea level. Its highest peak, Hvannadalshnjúkur, rises to 2.119 m and over 11 per cent of the country is covered by glaciers, including Vatnajökull, the largest in Europe.

Energy
Situated on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, Iceland is a hot spot of volcanic and geothermal activity: 30 post-glacial volcanoes have erupted in the past two centuries, and natural hot water supplies much of the population with cheap, pollution-free heating. Rivers, too, are harnessed to provide inexpensive hydroelectric power.

People
Out of a population numbering more than 280.000, half live in the capital Reykjavík and its neighbouring towns in the southwest. Keflavík International Airport is located about 50 km from the capital. The highland interior is uninhabited (and uninhabitable), and most centres of population are situated on the coast.

Language
Iceland was settled by Nordic people in the 9th century - tradition says that the first permanent settler was Ingólfur Arnarson, a Norwegian Viking who made his home where Reykjavík now stands. The Icelanders still speak the language of the Vikings, although modern Icelandic has undergone changes of pronunciation and, of course, of vocabulary! Iceland is alone in upholding another Norse tradtion, i.e. the custom of using patronymics rather than surnames; and Icelander´s christian name is followed by his or her father´s name and the suffix -son or -dóttir, e.g. Guðrún Pétursdóttir (Guðrún, daughter of Pétur). Members of a family can therefore have many different "surnames", which sometimes causes confusion to foreigners!

The host playing city; Reykajvik by night.​

The one of a kind indoor tennis centre's in Iceland.​

Players 5 star Hotel​

Thanks to the major sponsoring from Central Bank Of Iceland and the participation from the Icelandic team. The Central Bank Of Iceland are the major sponsor in this tennis event, they have made everything possible, they have built the one of a kind Tennis Centre in the world, they have also helped with the sponsoring and payment of accomdation, transport, daily activities, players attendance fees and the large prize money that awaits the players at the end.

Who will it be?!

Serna ? Dementieva ? Pierce ? Capriati ? Dokic ?

TB FINISHED :p

·
Registered
7,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bonus Points for Iceland:
Win of The Week: Elena Dementieva
- for defeating Jennifer Capriati, a player she just recently lost to in a final, to take her first singles title and a Grand Slam to boot.
Bonus Points: 2

Player of the Week: Elena Dementieva
- for taking her first singles title and it being a Grand Slam plus beating personal rivals Serena Williams-Santoro and Jennifer Capriati
Bonus Points: 2

Best Article Award: Olga Barabanschikova
Bonus Points: 3

Most Articles Award: Jennifer Capriati, Serena Williams-Santoro & Jie Zheng with 3 each.
Bonus Points: 2 each

·
Registered
17,275 Posts
Lucic/Dokic

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Jenny/Serena

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
Serena wont play in the next 3 tournaments because she is in france to study language

·
Registered
23,493 Posts
thalle said:
Serena wont play in the next 3 tournaments because she is in france to study language
oh dear...then the tenth seed would be pushed up in the draw? and the 11th seed get a bye too?

anyway, justine and Zheng pls!

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
thalle said:
Okay, does Myskina want to double with Jennifer then?

·
Ferosh Warrior ♥
53,300 Posts
Momo debuts on LTT

Watch out LTT, a huge star to-be and Momo era is coming soon. Amelie Mauresmo of France will make her debut play on the crappy tournament in Iceland. Unseeded, she will have to play against good friend Venus Williams.

About her first tournament

"No offence to the tour directors, but which crappy tour will host a tournament in Iceland? I might not be joining had Hingis and Drew not give me the personal begging letter to me,"

About the draw

"Love it. Getting to play the so-called world number one. Look out for the trashing!!"

About bitches on LTT

"Meh, those attention seeking whores are good for nothing."

About her goal

"Look at the world number 1. She's fat, ugly and quiet. I don't think I will have much troubles on getting top 10 by next month."

About LTT

"It was much better when Felix was the director." [K, don't flare at me]

·
Banned
7,113 Posts
MonicaSelesFan2 said:
Myskina needs a partner...anyone want to play with her?
myskina/Davenport??!!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts