Tennis Forum banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
Pierce Takes Out Russian Kuznetsova
~Mary Wins In Three~

Pierce pumps her fists as she wins the match. Pierce def. Kuznetsova 6-2, 2-6, 6-3.

Mary Pierce won the Quarter-Final battle today. It was a rather weird match, with all three sets being dominatly won. But Pierce was just better for those two sets, the first and third. She seemed to have a lapse in judgement losing the second easily. Mary Pierce def. Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-2, 2-6, 6-3. But all in all it was a good match, filled with winners and great serving. Each woman had more winners than UFE, but Pierce had the serve. This really gave her an advantage and she took it to its fullest.

"I feel like I played good today, but I can play better. So I must turn it up a notch for my Semi-Final match against, Nathalie Dechy. She looks to be playing great." said Pierce, of France.

Good luck Mary Pierce, allez!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Lindsay advances to Semifinals

Lindsay Davenport stretches for a volley against Monica Seles in the Quarterfinals at the Bali International

Lindsay Davenport has come off a very successful start in the LTL season.
After defeating Tatiana Golovin in the first round, which she said was a good start, she came off an excellent win against Monica Seles in the quartefinals.

"It was a superb match for me. Coming back from 5-2 down in the first set was key for me. I felt like when I broke her back, I was able to gain momentum and close the match out, which I did in the end."

Lindsay will face Maria Sharapova in her next match, which she says, will not be a friendly affair but it will be a very tough match.

"Against Maria, I need to play my best tennis. She is a great player, and competes well. There will be no love in this match though. I will go out and try to kick her butt off the court."

Lindsay Davenport is playing doubles here with Svetlana Kuznetsova, and they get underway by playing Tatiana Golovin and Patty Schnyder in the first round of doubles.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Seles swerves out to Davenport
Powerful matchup goes in favor to Lindsay

Monica Seles cringes as she can't run down a winner Lindsay Davenport hits on her in the quarterfinals of the Bali International. Seles lost in straight sets.

Monica Seles started off her quarterfinal match against Lindsay Davenport the way she ended her round of 16 match with Elena Dementieva, dominating. Monica Seles eventually lost to Lindsay in a hard-faught match with extended powerful rallies 7-5,6-4. Monica led in the first set 5-2, smashing winners and making Lindsay demoblized. But Davenport started to fire off some off stroked winners herself to make Monica think.

"She started mixing up her shots when she was down to break back and get into the match. It became a slugfest out there, and she won it today. Her serve helped her out of trouble, mine was off at times" Seles sadly replied in her confrence to a question.

The whole match had gutwrenching (I like that word) rallies that started off in Seles' favor, and ended up in Davenports. Seles should'nt be discouraged heading into the next event because she played a high-caliber match that entertained fans. Good luck to Lindsay, and to Monica's doubles partner (which I hope they're still playing this week), Mary Pierce.

·
Registered
47,817 Posts
Schnyder Falls to Sharapova

Patty Schnyder gave the match to Maria Sharapova today. Schnyder lost 6-4, 6-4.

Patty Schnyder was blown out of the quarterfinals of the Bali International today by Russian Maria Sharapova. Schnyder, who defeated Maret Ani in the RD16, should've won this match, but Sharapova was too mentally tough for Patty to handle.

"Oh my God, I suck. I had such huge leads in both sets. I played incredible tennis up to these points but then my shots started landing too short. But credit to her, she never gave up and fought her heart out out there. She was able to step up and confidently put short balls away." a disgruntled Schnyder told us.

The leads Patty are speaking of came in both the first and second sets. After playing brilliant tennis in the beginning of each set and racing to 4-0 leads, Schnyder seemed to let up a little. Sharapova, sensing a slight let up, immediately took charge and dominated the rallies for the remainder of each set.

It seems like Sharapova is the comeback queen this week. In her RD16 match with Slovak Daniela Hantuchova, a good friend of Patty, Maria also suffered large losses in the beginning of each set. In the first set, Hantuchova led 5-0, only to see Sharapova storm back and take the set in a tiebreaker. In a similar story in the second set, Hantuchova raced out to a 4-0 lead, before Sharapova took the set and the match 7-6, 7-6.

"She has been playing pretty well this week. She beat Daniela in two tight sets. This is her favorite surface so I can't say I'm ashamed to lose to her. I still think I should have beat her, but it's no shame to lose to a player on their favorite surface. I think I can get her on the clay court." a smiling Schnyder said.

Patty will next head to the exotic land of Malaysia. She should be seeded in the 5-8 range and a good pick to reach the quarterfinals. In other news, Patty's good friend Mary Pierce advanced to the semifinals where she will next face her countrywoman Nathalie Dechy.

"I think it's great that Mary is doing so well. But obviously their are so many other good players here. I may have to redo my "Who do I think are the biggest threats" list. Nathalie has been playing really well this tournament so Mary will definitely have a match on her hands. I also want to wish Maria good luck in the semifinals against Lindsay. I hope I can say that I lost to the eventual champion," a joking Schnyder said.

Patty's Picks

SF: Maria Sharapova def. Lindsay Davenport in three sets.
SF: Nathalie Dechy def. Mary Pierce in straight sets.

F: Nathalie Dechy def. Maria Sharapova in straight sets.

·
49,001 Posts
Masha advances to the Semifinals, to face Davenport

Maria Sharapova routed Patty Schnyder today in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, in the Quarterfinals of the Bali International Tournament. She was down Love-4 in the first set, before reeling off 6 straight games to take the first set. "Its the beginning of the season, so I'm hella rusty," said Maria. "But once I realize that I am in a match and I am down, my game flows much more loosely and I'm able to compete better. Patty is an pretty good player, but not someone I really want to have a losing record to, if you know what i mean," Maria laughed. Maria takes on Lindsay Davenport in the semifinals tomorrow. "I am hoping that I wont get to such a slow start, because its hard to stop Lindsay once she begins to get on a roll. Hopefully I can just take my chances and play a good match tomorrow."

·
Registered
47,817 Posts
King. said:
Masha advances to the Semifinals, to face Davenport

Maria Sharapova routed Patty Schnyder today in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, in the Quarterfinals of the Bali International Tournament. She was down Love-4 in the first set, before reeling off 6 straight games to take the first set. "Its the beginning of the season, so I'm hella rusty," said Maria. "But once I realize that I am in a match and I am down, my game flows much more loosely and I'm able to compete better. Patty is an pretty good player, but not someone I really want to have a losing record to, if you know what i mean," Maria laughed. Maria takes on Lindsay Davenport in the semifinals tomorrow. "I am hoping that I wont get to such a slow start, because its hard to stop Lindsay once she begins to get on a roll. Hopefully I can just take my chances and play a good match tomorrow."
You bitch :fiery: I said nice things about you in my article :fiery: :mad: :fiery:!

·
Banned
6,101 Posts
Dechy Defeats Crafty Italian

Nathalie Dechy of France, returns one of Farina-Elia's first serves. The match lasted 1:28, with the Frenchwoman winning 6-3 7-5.

BALI - In a matter of days, Nathalie Dechy has proven herself a real menace to other players on the LTL Tour. After a hard fought victory of Na Li, she followed it up with a straight set, 0:53 cruise against Kim Clijsters. Today was easily the hardest of the three matches, as each of the two ladies played deep into the night.

"Well, Silvia has a great forehand. I had never played her before, and I didn't have the time to scout her game, but from the get go I saw lobs, dropshots, and full out winners. At times, it became frustrating, especially in the second set, where no matter what I handed to her on that side, I'd either have to give up or give up a rally later."

However, Nathalie's perseverance lead her through to the straight set feat. At 2-3 in the second set, she had to fend off 2 break points, one held with a service winner, the other with an ace to win the game. It was at these points in the match that she manages to break a very steady Farina.

"I've been practising lately, but I didnt think that it would pay off this much. Everyone on tour is very competitive, all wanting a good start to the season. In fact, rebound ace is one of my least favourite surfaces, so to make it this far with such a disadvantage is phenominal. I noticed how my serve rescued my from some tight situations. It's very difficult when you're not getting many in, but I found that my placement was the key."

Tomorrow, Dechy will see how many lives she has, when she faces Mary Pierce.

Reactions: Farina Elia Fan

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 · (Edited)
Bali International
Singles Semifinals
Scores

Lindsay Davenport def. Maria Sharapova 6-0, 3-6, 6-4
Mary Pierce def. Nathalie Dechy 7-5, 3-6, 7-5

Players now can send in points before 10 AM EST.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 · (Edited)
Day In Review

Singles Semifinals

Lindsay Davenport def. Maria Sharapova 6-0, 3-6, 6-4

Truly an awesome match! Davenport started off much better than her opponent, as she was hitting winner after winner and using her serve to dictate points. In the Second Set, Maria came back from 3-1 and reeled the last five games to bring it into a Third. In the Final Set, Lindsay played solid tennis throughout, which is the reason she won. She was never down in the set and won the last two games with incredible ease.

Mary Pierce def. Nathalie Dechy 7-5, 3-6, 7-5

Another terrific match by two compatriots. There was only one CT in this match and it was won my Nathalie in the First Set. Dechy played a great match, like always, but her lack of variety was strongly emphasized in this match. She seemed to get tenative in the later stages of all three sets, and Mary used confident and different tactics to knock out her opponent.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Will the doubles semifinals also be played today? :)

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Bali International
Doubles Semifinals
Scores

Capriati/Farina Elia def. Pierce/Seles 6-3, 6-4
Golovin/Schnyder def. Davenport/Kuznetsova6-3, 7-5

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Lindsay reaches final

Lindsay Davenport jubilates as she defeats Maria Sharapova to reach the finals of the Bali International

Lindsay Davenport is in the finals of the Bali International. And she is ecstatic.

"Im so excited. I played very well against Maria, a very good opponent. I can't wait to go out in the finals and try to win my first title!"

Lindsay defeated Maria Sharapova 6-0, 3-6, 6-4 to advance. She had an excellent start to the match, lost a bit of focus, but regained it to close the match out.

The team of Davenport/Kuznetsova lost in the semifinals of doubles. They hope to win some matches next week.

Lindsay will face Mary Pierce in the singles finals.

"Against Mary, I must play my best tennis. But I knew that when I played Maria, and I won, so against Mary, if I play the same way, I can win."

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
Pierce Fights To Final In Bali
~Pierce Wins All French SF~

Mary Pierce pumps her fist after a forehand winner to clinch the first set. Pierce def. Dechy 7-5, 3-6, 7-5.

Mary Pierce made it past a three set thriller to get to the Bali Finals. In the Semi-Final she had to face off against Nathalie Dechy. From France, this time Pierce needed to take her out in style. It was a close first set, but Mary won with a break. In the second Dechy just played better. Mary Pierce def. Nathalie Dechy 7-5, 3-6, 7-5. It was a great match, and it was sure to be a French woman in the Finals of Bali. Pierce played very well, but was out-played in the second set. Pierce hit 55 winners to 34 UFE. Pierce also had 7 Aces, and only 2 DF. So it was a good match for Pierce, she just played better in the later stages.

"I believe it was a good match. I just really didn't want to go to a tie-break. I need my energy for the Final. Dechy just played too good in the second set, I mean didn't she hit like...18 winners alone in that set. It was just too good for my blood. Luckily I was able to pick up my game at 3-5 in the third. I just kept telling myself, you can do it. Just play you're game and treat it like any other match."

Now, Pierce will have to face an even tougher opponent in American, Lindsay Davenport. This will for sure be a great match, with both ladies being hard hitters. Anticipate many winners! But this time Pierce will need to forget the lapse, like the second set. Davenport came out strong in the first set against Sharapova winning it 6-0. So Pierce needs to be ready.

"Yeah, I heard about that. Davenport must have been playing very well. Sharapova is one tough player, so I will keep that in mind. I need to start out strong and do well. I know how to win, so just turn it up a notch and hope for the best."

Good luck Pierce in the Finals against Davenport, allez!

121 - 140 of 173 Posts