Tennis Forum banner

241 - 260 of 281 Posts

·
Retired
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Finally the odds were proven right! Rogozinska-Dzik beat Szczepanska 7-5 6-4 while Piter defeated Zawadzka 6-4 7-5. Zawadzka nearly came back from 2-5 in the first set though (with point for 5-5) and was up 4-2 in the second set.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Finally the odds were proven right! Rogozinska-Dzik beat Szczepanska 7-5 6-4 while Piter defeated Zawadzka 6-4 7-5. Zawadzka nearly came back from 2-5 in the first set though (with point for 5-5) and was up 4-2 in the second set.
Two quite interesting matches where the losers had only themselves to blame. Zawadska played a couple of really nice drop shots, but she also made too many unforced errors, and some of those were awful. I wasn't scoring because I was watching both matches, but the only ace I saw was Piter's to win the match. :D

As for Szczepanska, she turned into Ostapenko with her number of double faults soaring through the roof. She was up 5-3 and serving for the first set, but got broken to love with at least two double faults. Two games later she at least won a couple of points, but this time there were three double faults! There were a couple of outstanding points during the match, but there was one which I would seriously class as one of the points of the year - Szczepanska serving at 40-30 in the fifth game, and Rogozinska-Dzik sprinted right across the court three or four times in a row to retrieve what should have been winners every time. Szczepanska eventually won the game, but Rogozinska-Dzik immediately took a medical timeout for treatment on her right shoulder and/or upper arm. She won the last 10 points to take the match.

·
Retired
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
There were a couple of outstanding points during the match, but there was one which I would seriously class as one of the points of the year - Szczepanska serving at 40-30 in the fifth game, and Rogozinska-Dzik sprinted right across the court three or four times in a row to retrieve what should have been winners every time.
I've just watched it. What a rally from Stefania indeed! And what a winner to win that point in the end :p

·
Retired
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
ŁÓDŹ
(2 July - 1st August)

SINGLES DRAW

Quarterfinals

[1] Katarzyna Piter (POL) d. [6] Joanna Zawadzka (POL) 6-4 7-5
[5] Paula Kania-Choduń (POL) d. [3] Martyna Kubka (POL) 4-6 6-1 6-3

Katarzyna Wysoczańska (POL) d. [4] Julia Oczachowska (POL) 7-5 6-3
[2] Stefania Rogozińska-Dzik (POL) d. Zuzanna Szczepańska (POL) 7-5 6-4

Semifinals

[1] Katarzyna Piter (POL) vs. [5] Paula Kania-Choduń (POL)
Katarzyna Wysoczańska (POL) vs. [2] Stefania Rogozińska-Dzik (POL)

____

·
Registered
56 Posts
SF Head To Head:

[1] Piter 3:2 Kania-Choduń [5]

02.2020 - ITF W60 Cairo - RQ1 (Hard): 6:7(4) 6:4 10-5
01.2017 - ITF W25 Orlando - R1 (Clay): 6:1 5:7 6:2
07.2013 - ITF W25 Toruń - Final (Clay): 4:6 4:6
06.2013 - ITF W25 Zlin - QF (Clay): 6:4 6:3
10.2011 - ITF W25 St.Cugat - RQF (Clay): 6:3 6:7(4) 4:6

Wysoczańska 1:1 Rogozińska-Dzik [2]
07.2019 - ITF W25 Bytom - RQF (Clay): 6:3 1:6 6-10
01.2015 - ITF Junior G4 Szczecin - R2 (Indoor hard): 6:4 6:0

I'm counting on the Kania-Choduń 🆚 Wysoczańska final. Come on girls! 🔥

·
Retired
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
ŁÓDŹ
(2 July - 1st August)

DOUBLES DRAW

First round

[1] Kania-Choduń/Shoshyna (POL/UKR) d. Kubka/Rogozińska-Dzik (POL/POL) 2-6 6-0 [10-8]
[WC] Daroszewska/Formella (POL/POL) d. Krygier/Nebelska (POL/POL) 6-4 6-3

Oczachowska/Szczepańska (POL/POL) d. Rutkowska/Sosnowska (POL/POL) 6-4 3-6 [14-12]
[2] Piter/Zawadzka (POL/POL) d. Czerny/Samberger (POL/POL) 6-0 6-0

Semifinals

[1] Kania-Choduń/Shoshyna (POL/UKR) vs. [WC] Daroszewska/Formella (POL/POL)
Oczachowska/Szczepańska (POL/POL) vs. [2] Piter/Zawadzka (POL/POL)

____

·
Registered
56 Posts
Omg Stefania. :censored:
After the first set Katarzyna stopped making stupid errors and there is an effect. 😅
Congratulations to Wysoczańska for using this poor bottom half! 🥰👏 <yeah>
Come on Paula! 🔥

·
Retired
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
ŁÓDŹ
(2 July - 1st August)

SINGLES DRAW

Semifinals

[5] Paula Kania-Choduń (POL) d. [1] Katarzyna Piter (POL) 6-3 3-6 7-6(3)
Katarzyna Wysoczańska (POL) d. [2] Stefania Rogozińska-Dzik (POL) 1-6 6-1 6-2

Final

[5] Paula Kania-Choduń (POL) vs. Katarzyna Wysoczańska (POL)

____

·
Retired
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
So much drama at the end of the Piter-Kania semi! Both had troubles with the umpire's calls. Before hugging Paula at the net, Kasia yelled at her, pointing the last two litigious balls that she thought were out :p

Well done girls, though. This match lasted more than 3 hours and a half!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
That was quite a match Piter vs Kania. Paula was more offensive when it mattered.
3 hours and 32 minutes! What a marathon!!

Sorry, but that tie-break was disgusting. There is no excuse for that sort of behaviour from the players, and it's a really poor look from the umpire to change his ruling just because Kania went on and on and on until he gave up. Then, to add insult to injury, he wouldn't change his mind on the replayed point when Piter correctly protested that Kania's shot had slid into the tramlines. And Piter was correct on challenging the next one as well, because Kania's shot was definitely over the baseline.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
So much drama at the end of the Piter-Kania semi! Both had troubles with the umpire's calls. Before hugging Paula at the net, Kasia yelled at her, pointing the last two litigious balls that she thought were out :p
All the contentious calls were at the camera end. To me the last two both looked to be clearly out, even if it was only by a fraction, and I really thought that Piter was hard done by.

·
Retired
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
There is no excuse for that sort of behaviour from the players, and it's a really poor look from the umpire to change his ruling just because Kania went on and on and on until he gave up.
Did he? I wasn't completely into it but it seems to me that Kania's shot was called out at first, then the umpire overruled himself and asked to replay the point. I think Piter hit the ball before it actually touched the ground so the ball couldn't be out and that's why Kania didn't agree to replay the point. But they still did so. In this case the point should have been awarded to Kania but the umpire made a mistake calling this shot out in the first place while it wasn't... yet.

I agree with what you say about those two bad calls against Piter though, I thought the balls were out too but I don't like to make an absolute judgement based on a livestream video. Hence my precautions.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Did he? I wasn't completely into it but it seems to me that Kania's shot was called out at first, then the umpire overruled himself and asked to replay the point. I think Piter hit the ball before it actually touched the ground so the ball couldn't be out and that's why Kania didn't agree to replay the point. But they still did so. In this case the point should have been awarded to Kania but the umpire made a mistake calling this shot out in the first place while it wasn't... yet.
I've had several more looks at all three of those points, and I'm pretty sure that Piter hit the first one from Kania on the half-volley - not on the full.

I agree with what you say about those two bad calls against Piter though, I thought the balls were out too but I don't like to make an absolute judgement based on a livestream video. Hence my precautions.
The tramline call was pretty close, but the third point was clearly over the baseline (at least a couple of ball widths) and I think that the umpire should have been able to see it, and Piter really should have asked him to check the mark. As it took the score to match point it was absolutely crucial.

All of the drama, though, detracted from the comments I was going to make about the whole match. :D So many long rallies, and so many long games! There were actually two 34 shot rallies in the match - one each in the second and third sets - and heaps of others in the high teens or low twenties. The second of those 34s helped make the 11th game of the final set the longest game in the match, at nearly 12 minutes.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Omg Stefania. :censored:
After the first set Katarzyna stopped making stupid errors and there is an effect. 😅
Congratulations to Wysoczańska for using this poor bottom half! 🥰👏 <yeah>
Come on Paula! 🔥
To be fair to Rogozinska-Dzik, though, she had a medical time-out in the second set for treatment to the same shoulder or upper arm that got treated yesterday, and her serving after that was pretty poor. I won't use that as an excuse, though, as she simply got outplayed over the last half of the match. She had chances to come back, but just couldn't.

·
Retired
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
ŁÓDŹ
(2 July - 1st August)

DOUBLES DRAW

Semifinals

[1] Kania-Choduń/Shoshyna (POL/UKR) d. [WC] Daroszewska/Formella (POL/POL) 6-1 6-0
[2] Piter/Zawadzka (POL/POL) d. Oczachowska/Szczepańska (POL/POL) 6-2 6-3

Final

[1] Kania-Choduń/Shoshyna (POL/UKR) vs. [2] Piter/Zawadzka (POL/POL)

____

·
Retired
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Gee! What a surprise. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I know, I thought exactly the same :sneaky:

I still don't understand the scheduling of these events. Why do they keep making the women play their final at the same time as the men? The men's final being on the main court of course, the one with stands. Fortunately both are streamed at least.

·
Retired
5,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
No suspense in this final. Kania is taking the lead with ease, not forcing a bit and it's already 6-0 in the first set.
Wysoczanska has some variety but her shots are just not incisive enough, she simply can't do anything to match Kania's game right now.

241 - 260 of 281 Posts