Tennis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the QF loss to Venus actually might help Serena alot for the remainder of the season.

The whole tournament, her play has been so sketchy, she's seemed a bit slow and lazy on court. Even though she did not play terrible against Vee I think loosing might give her alot of incentive to start to get her game together.

Venus and Serena esentially play the same game. Agressive agression lol, brilliant defense (if they must) but always looking to attack. Serena did that last night maybe about 50% of the time. Venus was 100% all the way. She always was aggressive, went after her groundstrokes, serves volleys etc.

Maybe seeing Venus beat her that way will remind Serena that her fight and will alone cannot get her back to the top, she needs to consistantley play her aggressive tennis the way Venus did last night. The fighting and desire will only get you so far........In the 2nd set Serena picked it up a bit and she almost won it, yet you sensed she still had several gears in her.

I hope this fires up her game and results for the rest of the year, and as for Vee, alas the greatness is back :) I really believe that in 2001-2 Serena's motivation was to catch up to Venus....maybe seeing big sis start to do better will motivate her again. If Venus continues to play this way, there is no reason why she shouldnt be able to start winning major titles again.:wavey:

·
Golden State Of Mind
5,649 Posts
I hope it fires both up. I want Venus to recapture that old form and magic she had and I want Serena to go at it no matter what and be that #1. So in the end, I hope it's good for both players.

·
Premium Member
20,102 Posts
Great analysis from someone TRULY concerned about the state of Serena's game.

I agree with you. This is a good loss for her. She really needs to stop relying on fighting ability all the time and get back too training properly.

Serena knows what she has to do in order to get her game on track. The question is will acting and all her other off court activities continue to be her top priority?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I feel the same way. I am glad that this loss is not at a majour. And if she losses to anyone, I guess Venus is the person I mind her losing to least. I think that Serena has a great opportunity this year for the grand slam and if she works on a few parts of her game and just plays more, I don't see why she can't win the remaining three majours. This week Serena just seemed more streaky than usual. She also seemed a little bit complacent at times. She usually plays with so much fire. Her serves also weren't as penetrating. So hopefully she is more motivated to work on those aspects, because if her serve is on and she's aggressive, then she is hard to beat. I think the clay season will help her game out a lot because it will force her to maintain longer rallies, which will likely improve her timing and rhythm.

I think this win was also good for Venus, so hopefully it will be one of those win-win situations when we look back on this next year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.