1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tennis-Agassi reaches Stella semis, regains No1 spot
Reuters
Jun 13 2003 1:57PM

LONDON, June 13 (Reuters) - Andre Agassi blasted into the semi-finals of the Stella Artois Championships on Friday, recapturing the world number one ranking along the way.
The 33-year-old's 6-4 7-5 win over Xavier Malisse vaulted him to the top of the rankings after Lleyton Hewitt had earlier lost at Queen's Club for the first time in four years.

"It feels amazing to accomplish it at this stage in my career," Agassi said after becoming the oldest world number one. "When you go out there you are always trying to be the best."

Wimbledon champion Hewitt dropped to number two when he fell in the quarter-finals to Sebastien Grosjean 6-3 6-4.

The Australian had been gunning for an unprecedented fourth straight title here but instead suffered his first Queen's loss since 1999.

"I knew nobody had done it before," Hewitt said of the record. "But it wasn't just winning today, I would have had to win a couple more matches as well.

"When you look at it, three in a row here isn't too bad, mate."

In 1999 it was grasscourt maestro and winner of seven Wimbledon crowns Pete Sampras who beat him.

WIMBLEDON SEEDING

This time it was a French baseliner more comfortable on hard courts and clay courts than grass.

"I tried to stop him getting a rhythm," Grosjean said. "I just ran round my backhands and whacked my forehand. When I had to hit a backhand I sliced it. I felt pretty good."

Grosjean will next meet Britain's Tim Henman. The three-times finalist beat France's Anthony Dupuis 6-1 6-4.

It was the first time Henman had won three matches in a row since reaching the Wimbledon semi-finals last year -- a run of 16 tournaments including this week.

"Yeah, that's pretty good," he said. "There were certainly a lot more plusses today.

"I'm pleased with the way I'm playing, but there's still a lot of work to be done."

Hewitt's defeat denies the Wimbledon champion vital match practice before he defends his crown in just over week.

"I would have preferred to get a couple more matches in, but there you go," he said. "I had a lot of chances and just didn't take them."

Despite relinquishing his ranking, Hewitt may still be seeded one for Wimbledon as the tournament is the only one that reserves the right to deviate from the ATP's entry system ranking list.

Organisers also take a player's grasscourt record over a number of years into account.

Either way, the Australian is not too bothered.

"Number one or two? Top or bottom, mate. I couldn't care less," he said.

Agassi needed just 61 minutes to grab the top spot again this year. He had toppled Hewitt for a fortnight in April to become the oldest world number one since rankings began in 1973.

Malisse, a Wimbledon semi-finalist last year, could not keep up with the American's pace on a scorching centre court.

Agassi will next face the winner of Andy Roddick and Taylor Dent.

06/13/03 13:54 ET

I'm pretty sure that they have the same agreement with the WTA and if that is the case, it would be hard to justify seeding Venus lower than three.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
As I said in the other thread, they have a formula for the men. They have not used it for the women. So you cannot compare the two.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
That's ATP, not WTA. ;)

BUT, I still believe they are allowed to change the rankings to their liking.

As for Andre, they should seed him #1. They have each won a Wimbledon title, but Andre has had a lot more sucess there, and is #1 anyway.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Hurley said:
As I said in the other thread, they have a formula for the men. They have not used it for the women. So you cannot compare the two.
They used it last year with Raymond and Stevenson. Both of their seeds were bumped up a few spots due to past results.

Raymond was seeded 16, but I think she was ranked around 23 or something. And there were not 7 people to withdraw ahead of her.

And Alexandra was seeded #24, but ranked around 30.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
They have not used it because it has been awhile since someone has had a good grass court record and is not ranked #1 or #2.

This is Venus Phucking Williams were talking about here. She won this thing twice made the finals. Who else in the past few years has done what she's done on grass?

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
VeNuS FoReVeR said:
They used it last year with Raymond and Stevenson. Both of their seeds were bumped up a few spots due to past results.

Raymond was seeded 16, but I think she was ranked around 23 or something. And there were not 7 people to withdraw ahead of her.

And Alexandra was seeded #24, but ranked around 30.
Not because of a formula. Those were gut moves, moving people with previous Wimbledon success into the lowest possible positions in higher seeding sections than they were ranked. They do not use the formula for the women -- or at least DID NOT last year -- and so bringing up the formula as a reason that Venus may be moved up is moot.

If they had used the formula last year, Tanasugarn would have been moved way up. But they didn't, they used their faulty gin-soaked brains.

·
***** Emeritus
42,256 Posts
*not going into the Venus debate*

About the men, how can they even think of bumping down a former winner? :confused:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Formula ,formula, formula. bottom line:

It is very likely that they will seed Venus Williams higher than her rank. Again it has been a long time since they had this situation on the WTA tour. Venus won this twice and made finals.

I won't be surprised to see Venus seeded higher.

In the end I dont care what her seed is, she has to beat them all to win it anyway.

GO VENUS!

·
Banned
382 Posts
i just dont think Venus can be seeded 2nd,
remember that the formula is represented
in term of ranking points........
now that Venus is 1200 pts from Kim,
if they only take last yr or 2 yrs points in consideration,
Venus wont be seeded,
but 3 yrs is too far off........
so maybe 3rd, but not 2nd...

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
They haven't used any formula for the women and I haven't heard any indication that they will.

*beats head against wall*

·
Senior Member,
2,093 Posts
Dawn Marie said:
Formula ,formula, formula. bottom line:

"In the end I dont care what her seed is, she has to beat them all to win it anyway."

GO VENUS!

I totally agree Dawn. Even though the road may be less bumpy for some than others, the winner is going to have win 7 matches to take the title.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
Go Venus! and I agree with Dawn. :D

All-Williams final or not... it all comes down to who wants it.

·
psychotic banana
3,022 Posts
As long as Venus wins the whole damn thing I don't care what the hell she's seeded (or ranked for that matter).

·
Premium Member
20,731 Posts
I hope they stick with the rankings, cause they seem fine the way they are to me.

Plus if they change it this board will be full of moannig and screaming and pointless personal attacks on Venus.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Gah! *beats head against wall with Hurley* THERE IS NO formula, they will seed by rankings most likely. *continues to beat head on wall*

1 - 20 of 59 Posts