Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
didn't the German female soccer team win a coffee set for winning the world championships in the late 1980s?!?

·
25,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beautiful photos Pepi!

Welcome to the Blast:)

I really love the pic of Dodo Bundy. That's one huge trophy, and clearly shows the female serving on the top.

Do you know what event the Joan Curry picture is from? She's a player I'd like to know more about. Widely looked down on in certain quarters ("I'm no Joan Curry" was Angela Mortimer's reaction on being compared to Joan!), she was clearly a fighter despite being limited technically. Her game consisted primarily of slices. Her biggest on court moment was beating Louise Brough one year at the French.

Another thing I recall about Joan is how she couldn't travel abroad much due to her mother's poor health.

Finally, one of the books written by a male player recounts how she liked her romances, comparing her to a rabbit!

Hope we see more of your posts Pepi.

·
Banned
235 Posts
Beautiful photos Pepi!

Welcome to the Blast:)

I really love the pic of Dodo Bundy. That's one huge trophy, and clearly shows the female serving on the top.

Do you know what event the Joan Curry picture is from? She's a player I'd like to know more about. Widely looked down on in certain quarters ("I'm no Joan Curry" was Angela Mortimer's reaction on being compared to Joan!), she was clearly a fighter despite being limited technically. Her game consisted primarily of slices. Her biggest on court moment was beating Louise Brough one year at the French.

Another thing I recall about Joan is how she couldn't travel abroad much due to her mother's poor health.

Finally, one of the books written by a male player recounts how she liked her romances, comparing her to a rabbit!

Hope we see more of your posts Pepi.
Thank You Rollo , I will make myself comfortable right here :)

Unfortunately I don't know where that particular photo of Joan Curry is from . I found it on this website : J. Gannon et J. Curry - Le blog des archives du tennis feminin

It is a nice website with a lot of interesting information and pictures .

I think Joan Curry was looked down upon by fellow players because she also played squash professionally and tended to hit a squash slice in many of her tennis matches . It worked for her but did not fit into the norms of a proper slice drive or topspin , similar to how Errani's serve is widely mocked .

Looking forward to reading about all those glorious players from the past .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts