Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who aren't aware, there is a Wikipedia page devoted to records of this sort:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longes...en's_singles

The minimum length to qualify is three hours and 30 minutes (men have to go five hours) - there are over 60 women's matches already listed, but there are bound to be many more. It doesn't matter whether it's WTA or ITF, and main draw or qualifying. For this list, they ALL count.

This came up in the W25 Santa Margherita di Pula thread, because there were two incredibly long matches on Friday, and it led to people remembering other long matches which hadn't been recorded.

Does anyone out there recall any others which aren't on this list?

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There have so far been six matches this week which have gone over three and a half hours:

4h 24 Tereza Mrdeza (CRO) def Ganna Poznikhirenko (UKR) 3-6, 7-6 (5), 7-5 - 1st round in Santa Margherita Di Pula (second set by itself was 1h 49, and the third set was 1h 41)

4h 02 Amy Zhu (USA) def Vanessa Ong (USA) 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (3) - 1st round in Norman

3h 45 Tena Lukas (CRO) def Federica Di Sarra (ITA) 6-7 (5), 6-2, 7-6 (5) - QF in Santa Margherita Di Pula

3h 34 Rina Saigo (JPN) def Jantje Tilbuerger (GER) 7-6 (2), 3-6, 6-3 - 2nd round in Antalya

3h 34 Zeel Desai (IND) def Tina Smith (AUS) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 - QF in Pretoria

3h 31 Merel Hoedt (NED) def Lian Tran (NED) 7-5, 6-7 (5), 6-3 - QF in Pretoria

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The Nelson-Hepner match also has the longest rally - 643 shots in 29 minutes. Who was counting?

It was on set point to Hepner. Thank God Nelson won it and went on to end the match in straight sets.

Nelson collapsed with cramp after winning the point and the meanest umpire in the world gave her a time violation. She picked herself up to win, though.

A match made in moonball heaven.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/sports/tennis/24tennis.html

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Nelson-Hepner match also has the longest rally - 643 shots in 29 minutes. Who was counting?

You can't have read the whole story! :grin2:

John Packett, who covered the match for The Richmond Times-Dispatch, had the foresight to keep track of the strokes, explaining, “I started counting because the rallies were going so long, you had to figure, Who knows how long these points are going to last?”

Packett, who covered tennis and other sports for The Times-Dispatch for nearly 40 years, recalled the match as dull, yet strangely compelling.

“I’m not sure why I even watched it,” he said. “I’m glad I did, since it turned out to be a historic match, but it wasn’t one of the highlights of my journalistic career.”

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

It was on set point to Hepner. Thank God Nelson won it and went on to end the match in straight sets.

Nelson collapsed with cramp after winning the point and the meanest umpire in the world gave her a time violation. She picked herself up to win, though.

This match is why I take posters calling contemporary players like Wozniacki 'pushers' with a grain of salt. They have no idea what a real 'pusher' looks like and they were all over the tour in the late '70s early '80s, also see Michelle Torres.

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
I don't even understand how that is possible.. :spit: It took her 29 minutes to come foward and hit a volley... :haha:

I'm not surprised she got cramp. It sounds horrendous, but it's funny how some things never change, in terms of the lower ranked players being desperate for wins and prize money.

Does anyone know the longest rally of this decade?

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
remembering Camerin d. Niculescu 6-4 6-7 7-6 in Athens in 2008 or 2009... after 5h03 of play
Omg :spit:
That was in 2009, and is the second-longest. We had one as recently as last week in Santa Margherita Di Pula which is inside the top ten - Tereza Mrdeza took 4 hours and 24 minutes to beat Ganna Poznikhirenko in the first round, 3-6, 7-6 (5), 7-5. The second set took an hour and 49 minutes, and the third was an hour and 41, both of them longer than most of the complete matches in the tournament.

That's seventh equal on the all-time list in Wikipedia but, considering how quickly I've found several matches to add to their list, I think it's more likely that there will be many more ITF matches which simply haven't been recorded because nobody thought about adding them to a list which they didn't know existed. "Gee, honey - that match took nearly five hours! I'll bet those poor girls are exhausted! Now we need to get going, or the baby-sitter will be late home!" :grin2:

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Found a 140-shot rally, with video. Amina Anshba vs Magdalena Frech at 25k Leipzig, in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i10l_tZkqM
It's strangely hypnotic...

But to put it into context of how slow the Nelson-Hepner match must have been...well Anshba and Frech are basically just moonballing it too and they hit 140 shots in just under five minutes... So if they played like that for 25 minutes, they would hit around 700 shots.. The Nelson-Hepner match was 29 minutes with 643 shots! :eek: Of course, you'd have to take fatigue into account, in that the players would gradually plateau, but I'm just finding it hard to imagine the ball going any slower than what is seen in that video...

·
Registered
943 Posts
I used to be fascinated with long matches and believed the longer a match went the more it added to the drama and a thrilling finish. Two warriors slugging it out, each one determined to outlast the other.

And then Isner/Mahut happened and I realized long matches are just because they don't actually try to beat each other, but patiently wait for the other to make a mistake. This could take awhile if they both play super cautiously.

I lost interest in long rallies, sets, or matches after that. It just doesn't make for compelling tennis, and I'm glad Wimbledon capped the fifth set at 12 games to stop such nonsense from boring everyone to death.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I used to be fascinated with long matches and believed the longer a match went the more it added to the drama and a thrilling finish. Two warriors slugging it out, each one determined to outlast the other.

And then Isner/Mahut happened and I realized long matches are just because they don't actually try to beat each other, but patiently wait for the other to make a mistake. This could take awhile if they both play super cautiously.

I lost interest in long rallies, sets, or matches after that. It just doesn't make for compelling tennis, and I'm glad Wimbledon capped the fifth set at 12 games to stop such nonsense from boring everyone to death.

what a bizarre post, Isner - mahut happened not because each player was waiting for the other to make a mistake, but because John Isner was virtually unbreakable, you only have to skip through his results history to see how many tie breaker sets he's played during his career, that is because of his huge height enabling him to be the serve bot / ace machine that he is, and it's more effective on grass because of the lower bounce which skids off the service rather than sits up as it does on clay or have a truer bounce as it does on hard courts, there was nothing Mahut could do to return his relentless bombs.

And because of long John Isner's height, just like Karlovic, it makes him a shit returner because his movement is so poor, though got better over the years, but still generally poor in comparison to the 6ft'ers, tall players make whole careers off of their serve.

And that's why the match was so long, serve bot serving free points, serve bot not being able to return well, not because each were waiting for mistakes, they were trying relentlessly to break each other but just not good enough to until Mahut eventually tired out, not surprising, imagine facing Isner's serve for that long, enough to drive to drink.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We had one as recently as last week in Santa Margherita Di Pula which is inside the top ten - Tereza Mrdeza took 4 hours and 24 minutes to beat Ganna Poznikhirenko in the first round, 3-6, 7-6 (5), 7-5. The second set took an hour and 49 minutes, and the third was an hour and 41, both of them longer than most of the complete matches in the tournament.

That's seventh equal on the all-time list in Wikipedia
Well, guess what? We had another match of exactly that same length in Riba-Roja de Turia, Spain, yesterday. Egyptian Mayar Sherif Ahmed Abdelaziz (and that's just one version of how it's spelt!) beat Alexandra Cadantu, 6-7 (5), 6-3, 7-5. Set times for this one were 1h 21, 1h 21 and 1h 41.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There were three other matches this week to add to the list, including two at the same venue on the same day.

4h 01 Andrea Agostina Farulla Di Palma (ITA) beat Julieta Lara Estable (ARG), 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (8), in the second round in Buenos Aires

3h 52 Jessica Plazas (COL) beat Delfina Glorioso (ARG), 6-3, 6-7 (4), 7-5, also in the second round in Buenos Aires

3h 35 Thaisa Grana Pedretti (BRA) beat Katherine Sebov (CAN), 5-7 (9), 7-5, 7-5, in the quarter-finals in Claremont, California

Farulla Di Palma is 19, and Plazas only 17. After their marathons they teamed up to play doubles, and spent another hour and 20 minutes on court to win that encounter. They each lost their singles quarter-final the next day.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts